The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Exclamation New Star Wars film in 2015. Episode 7!

So Disney has just announced that they have purchased Lucasfilm and all it's subsidiary companies and that they are putting out the next episode of the Star Wars saga in 2015. 2015....wow. Never saw it coming. Maybe this means we'll finally get a REAL and proper restoration for the original Star Wars trilogy. Any thoughts on where the story might go? There's decades of continuity after the last chronological film in books and other works, so perhaps we'll see thousands of years into the future or something? Maybe it will still be a galaxy far far away but last Tuesday?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Jeez, is there anyone Disney doesn't own?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm 99.9% certain they also have Indiana Jones now too but nobody is talking about that. They also own Marvel Comics and it's companies lock, stock, and barrel.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Just finished watching the first three movies on Netflix. Not all at once of course.

They are timeless movies, it's almost a requirement to watch them as there are many references to them in our culture (and other movies too, like Paul LOL!).
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Holly unexpected news, Batman!
    I certainly hope Disney doesn't ruin the saga, but I'm curious to see what they'll come up with.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

As long as they don't go messing up canon that was already laid out in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    As long as they don't go messing up canon that was already laid out in the books.
    Well, the books are second/third-tier canon like anything else outside of the movies and Lucasfilm has contradicted works on numerous occasions, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did go in another direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Well, the books are second/third-tier canon like anything else outside of the movies and Lucasfilm has contradicted works on numerous occasions, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did go in another direction.
    No doubt. remember "Spinter in the Minds Eye" Luke and Leia making out. I am sure there are hundreds of other examples. Esp in the book series where they switch authors and the characters seems to jump all over the place.

I wonder if they get into the New Jedi Order series.....

Lucasfilm is chugging full speed with more books next year and I'm fairly certain they are going to kill off Luke Skywalker in the next few years, so I can't see them doing anything with the books that connects into these new episodes unless they just do so outright and with direct reference to all the books and stuff that fans are familiar with. The only solution to bypass the stuff of the books is to keep the new films in a time-separated continuity many many years after the original trilogy characters are gone so that their legacy is acknowledged but their presence is not required or possible.

Awwww...I want a Carrie Fischer, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamil reunion movie. Although, I know HF said Han Solo was one of his least favorite characters and even suggested that they kill him off. I'm glad they didn't, as I had a HUGE crush on HF growing up.

2 members found this post helpful.

According to Lucasfilm, the new Star Wars trilogy is not connected to the books. Should get very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Awwww...I want a Carrie Fischer, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamil reunion movie. Although, I know HF said Han Solo was one of his least favorite characters and even suggested that they kill him off. I'm glad they didn't, as I had a HUGE crush on HF growing up.
    I always thought that Luke's story was unfinished. I can see him going off on some sort of "Grail Quest" I would love to see Mark Hammil back in the roll
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'm guessing they will want to "reboot" the series like they've done with so many other movies lately.

Fortunately, I've found most of these reboots to be pretty good and with George Lucas no longer at the helm (or at least only being a "consultant")they've at least gotta be better than Episodes 1-3!

No, it's not a reboot either.

I am cautiously optimistic that the new movie may be good. At any rate, it can't be any worse than Episode II.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Any thoughts? Disney is aiming to give us one movie a year with a new trilogy and spin-off films. They have already begun axing the Star Wars we know and love by killing The Clone Wars, closing LucasArts and LucasLicensing, and it looks like they are getting rid of the Star Wars expanded universe books and such that many of us have been reading for years.

You know, with how badly south things went once Troy Denning got involved, I'm not sure I'm entirely opposed to a restart of everything Dark Nest and later (as long as they keep Jaina/Jag together, anyway). I actually liked a decent portion of New Jedi Order. I would, however, be incredibly thrilled if we got to see more Fels. Bring on Soontir, Jag, and Syal! I'm ridiculously sick of the big three, particularly Luke. Dark Nest was just awful beyond words. Legacy of the Force had some moments of cool interspersed with lots of meh, and the only thing right with Fate of the Jedi was Jaina becoming a Master and marrying Jag...

I want more Star Wars stories that involve the everyday characters. Like Han Solo-types who live on freighters going from world to world doing business and Lando Calrissian-types who wheel and deal across the galaxy as big things happen. My fave Star Wars stories are the two series of novels that involve both of them before the movies.

That's too bad.

Am I the only one who feels the 4-6 movies were ruined by the addition of 1-3?
    I hated the stupid puppets and crazy special effects.

If they had made those movies with the 80s type special effects and kept the characters a little more rough and spaceish I would have enjoyed them.
    But it was senseless kid humor. I hated the jokes too.

Adding more garbage to the fire is only going to ruin the 3 GOOD movies all over again for me.

Kind of like this last Indiana Jones--with the stupid alien crystal ball head. Seriously?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

4 members found this post helpful.

I think the big problem is that GL went back to the original grandiose ideas and scope he had originally written down since he was no longer limited by technology. In fact, his original Star Wars script is being adapted into comic form right now and it's very different from what we got in the movies. I think in the case of Indiana Jones, it was just too much and too late. Just like Jurassic Park 4 will probably tank for the same reason, though people will mostly love it anyway.