The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Graphic artist for logo?

I am starting a small company, have an idea of what I want my logo to look like, but am not artistic whatsoever, and don't want to spend a fortune paying a big company to figure it out for me. Do I just approach someone on the internet, and where? I prefer someone familiar with a couple of Upstate New York cities/landmarks.

I have in mind kind of a pen and ink drawing, involving a silo and a public landmark in Albany.

Hope this isn't breaking any COTH forum rules by asking...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Go to 99designs.com - you can submit a project and set the $ amount of what you're willing to pay. I've done this for two small startups and the logos we got were great - we got all the formats that we would ever need for print or digital, and it opened our eyes to other possibilities for logos that we hadn't considered. It is worth checking out.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

1 members found this post helpful.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Great, thanks!

COTH forums - ask and you shall receive!!

COTHs very own FlashGordon does Graphic Design and custom logos. AND she's from Upstate NY. What more could you ask for?! Other COTHers have used her and been very happy with her work.

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Oh, good! I'll check with her as well. Have been looking at 99designs this afternoon, but I already know what I want, just need it drawn.

A friend of mine does it http://www.juliefelton.net/
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    COTHs very own FlashGordon does Graphic Design and custom logos. AND she's from Upstate NY. What more could you ask for?! Other COTHers have used her and been very happy with her work.
    I've found a page for her name, but it says she hasn't been on in 2 years?

Or is that just the new webpage change being buggy? Searches I've done today have returned many old entries, and few newer ones...

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    I've found a page for her name, but it says she hasn't been on in 2 years?

Or is that just the new webpage change being buggy? Searches I've done today have returned many old entries, and few newer ones...
    Oh, no... She's active on here. I'll PM you her e-mail addy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    Go to 99designs.com - you can submit a project and set the $ amount of what you're willing to pay. I've done this for two small startups and the logos we got were great - we got all the formats that we would ever need for print or digital, and it opened our eyes to other possibilities for logos that we hadn't considered. It is worth checking out.
    Please don't do this 99designs makes money on "spec work", which is damaging to professional designers. Here is a good article explaining why spec work is not the best option for clients or for designers: http://www.aiga.org/position-spec-work/

Imagine calling four different trainers and asking for a lesson from each of them, but you're only going to pay the one who you liked the best. They all spent the same amount of time with you, but 3 of them aren't going to get paid for it.

CVPeg - asking for recommendations from other people is probably the best and easiest way to find a designer. You can also find local designers by checking out the upstate NY AIGA chapter (upstatenewyork.aiga.org/) and/or contacting the design programs of local colleges to see if they have students looking for freelance work. Best of luck!
    Equine Web Design & Marketing
    designequine.org

Quote Originally Posted by designequine View Post
    Please don't do this 99designs makes money on "spec work", which is damaging to professional designers. Here is a good article explaining why spec work is not the best option for clients or for designers: http://www.aiga.org/position-spec-work/

Imagine calling four different trainers and asking for a lesson from each of them, but you're only going to pay the one who you liked the best. They all spent the same amount of time with you, but 3 of them aren't going to get paid for it.
    Free intro lessons are extremely common though. Maybe not in the horse world, but I've had free yoga, dance, and a variety of fitness lessons in the hope of getting me to like the program and pay for more.
    From client perspective spec work appeals to me. My partner and I used that method for a logo; once we chose the designer we wanted to work with, the initial quick design was fleshed out.

Sorry - didn't read all the comments, but I am also a graphic designer (I know there are other GD'ers on here) send me a pm if you are interested/like to know more, I can give you a link as well of my portfolio!
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night