The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COTHer needs your help- employment help!

Alright COTHers.

I am STILL looking for a good career type job. Currently I am working in a retail management position and it is JUST. NOT. ENOUGH. 9.00 an hour for between 20-26 hours a week (plus a part time side job of 8.75 for 10 hours a week) just won't cut it.

I am trying to fill in the gap of not having "company loyalty" by being at this retail establishment for at least a year, in order to show that I want to stick with a company.

I have a bachelor's degree from a high quality private college. It's a BA in Business Management and Accounting.

I am on LinkedIn, I have begged friends and aquaintances to pass the word I am looking for a job.

It is starting to eat at my sanity- I am living at home with my father, and keep having the same argument- "Why are you wasting your degree?". My little brother has started up his own lawn care business and is THRIVING. I always get compared to him- however, he never went to college, so I should be a step ahead of him.

I need help. I can't seem to narrow down what field I want to work in, and at this point, I'd be willing to do just about anything.

So, I am at my wits end.

With a degree in Accounting, how hard is it to become a CPA or certified financial planner? The folks I know doing that have more work than they can keep up with.

Where are you located? We have a few analyst type jobs available here.

Where are you located?

As someone with a degree similar to yours, I found the options to be endless... that being said, you really have to be able to differentiate yourself in this type of market.

Feel free to PM me- I'll be happy to help you with your resume if you'd like...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    I need help. I can't seem to narrow down what field I want to work in, and at this point, I'd be willing to do just about anything.
    Doesn't sound like you want to pursue the Accounting side of your degree. What have you done so far to identify what kind of career path you want?
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

How long ago did you graduate? After I finished it took me a good 9 months to find full-time employment that paid the bills. It was one heck of a 9 months - I really worked my butt off to finally get the job I did. At the time I thought that everyone else had it so much easier, but a few years later I realized some people form my class still hadn't found jobs. That's just the state of the job market these days, and your location might be making it easier or harder than others.

A couple pointers I learned:

-Work where you can in the meantime. It sounds like you're doing this, so good job. Even if you're not making rent, keep up with what you have and take opportunities to move up, even if those won't make you rent money either. It might seem like you're wasting time, but you're not. You're still doing things you can add to your resume - future employer won't care that you did it for peanuts.

-Don't worry too much about what industry or field you want to end up in. You might get there via an unusual route, or you might end up somewhere you never even considered (and like it!) Look more for a company that will give you options to move up/around.

-Fill out applications and go to interviews. Even if it doesn't sound perfect, as long as it's something you can imagine yourself not being miserable at for a couple years, go to the interview and see how it goes. Even if you don't get it or don't want the job, interview practice is valuable, and maybe a new connection will come out of it.

-Continue to do the above, even when you don't feel like it anymore and are tired and cranky and can't stand to write one more cover letter.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Sounds like you work at Gymboree, LOL. Knowing where you are will help!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden