The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever feed Fresh Pet?

Has anyone ever fed Fresh Pet? I am curious because I have seen it at PetSmart, it looks great but does not seem very cost efficient for big dogs.

http://freshpet.com/

I use it occasionally. My daughter's mini dachshund is a picky eater so I mix Fresh Pet with his kibble when it's time for his Trifexis pill. I also used it when my hound mix, Lucy, had a tick borne disease and wasn't eating. The dogs seem to like it but it's too pricy to feed as a regular food.

I've fed the cat version, the cups and the roasted meal. They love the cups (I think cause of all the gravy) and will eat those right out of the fridge. The roasted meal they'll snub if it's cold, but will pick at and eventually eat if it's warm. I won't buy it again after this bag is gone. It agree it is pricey, especially if you are feeding multiple animals (I have two). So I feed it as a treat, and not as the main part of their diet.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Can you give me a url for the cat version shiningwizard255? The link given seems to show only stuff for dogs. I wouldn't mind having some on hand to use to stimulate my picky cat's appetite.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I've never fed it myself, but one thing I've heard is that you really NEED to examine the packages carefully for expiration dates. Turnover can be slow, & not all stores that carry it are diligent about checking that little fridge in the pet-food aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Can you give me a url for the cat version shiningwizard255? The link given seems to show only stuff for dogs. I wouldn't mind having some on hand to use to stimulate my picky cat's appetite.
    No problem...it is:
    http://freshpet.com/brand/freshpet-select/
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

When I has a cat dying of cancer, we fed this stuff as part of her rotation. She found it palatable.

I would not feed it regularly, as it was quite costly.