The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Once the newness wears off, no-one will notice this anymore.

Personally the like/dislike thing doesn't bug me, the red is only very mildly distracting, and the whole new look is fine.

There are much bigger things in life to stress over, I think.
    Sure there are bigger things to stress over, but (a) I find it entirely possible to voice criticisms without stressing, and (b) it would be very gratifying if they produced the desired results!

After all, so much of what we stress over we are helpless to affect

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    Yeah, but I can't find the uncensored 'F' bomb button
    Me neither. If you locate it, share!

2 members found this post helpful.

My eyes are hurting trying to adjust to this new style.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Well, bless your heart. . . neeer neeee neeer na neeer na )
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I am one of them I wanted to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    Thanks for double-checking that. Interestingly, I don't know that other person, or don't immediately recognize the handle, anyway. Now I have to wonder what their motivation was. (No doubt they saw the post and tried it out, too.) But maybe I should go check them out...

All kidding aside, I don't like that, and it was indeed the thing that sank MySpace and created the opening for FB to take over. Can't imagine what the developers of this package were thinking, particularly since it appears their goal was to try to more closely emulate social network sites.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post

The stalker-ish, invisible feature is somewhat disturbing.
    The invisible mode option has been around for quite a while. I use it because I thought it was weird that people were able to see what threads I was currently reading.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    My eyes are hurting trying to adjust to this new style.
    And it's a royal pain to use on my phone. Me no like new format
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I think it is too funny! I disagreed with someone on a topic and suddenly every single post I made over the last few days got a 'bad' rating. Can you be any more obvious? How incredibly childish some folks can be! Yes quite stalkerish! Stalkerish and immature!

I'm mad, I'm gonna give you bad ratings, nah nah nah nah! Really?

I thought the age to post here was at least 14 or something? This seems like something a 10 year old little girl would do cause she got her panties all in a twist! Seriously some people need to grow up and deal with issues like adults.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
    I think it is too funny! I disagreed with someone on a topic and suddenly every single post I made over the last few days got a 'bad' rating. Can you be any more obvious? How incredibly childish some folks can be! Yes quite stalkerish! Stalkerish and immature!

I'm mad, I'm gonna give you bad ratings, nah nah nah nah! Really?

I thought the age to post here was at least 14 or something? This seems like something a 10 year old little girl would do cause she got her panties all in a twist! Seriously some people need to grow up and deal with issues like adults.
    And someone didn't like this post, either!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I know Pocket Pony too funny! I think she is hunting me down daily! I really have to laugh at this. What does she think will happen? I will suddenly be banned from COTH? Oh lord, if only people could look at their actions and she them for what they are. Totally ridiculous! Maturity is not over rated!! lol! I feel so special having my own little stalker! My life is complete! hahahha!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I was dubious about the thumbing feature, thought give it time, it may have redeeming features.
    Seeing it in action, I am thinking no, because without it at least others have to come right out and disagree or agree by posting about it.
    With tumbs, just clicking against what you say or for it because they are your friend seems a bit dishonest.

Now, as someone mentioned, maybe it does give the site's bean counters more information about each poster and ideas of how to act on that information.
    BUT, is that worth the annoyance to the poster's themselves?

Food for more thought ...

Now, a day later, my notification thing is blown up with 57 of 'em!

That's a lot of people putting thumbs in orifices, people.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Just a heads up on the profile privacy questions that I think were raised on this thread:

We at least temporarily turned off a bunch of the default profile options, like visitor tracking, public friend lists, visitor messaging, etc.

With the exception of some thumb sticking here and there, we don't really feel that we need to turn into Facebook, so these default settings are probably not the way we want to go.

We may revisit and ask for user input about some of these options after we get through the initial de-bugging stage of the upgrade.

I don't remember if I posted on this thread before or not, but we've instituted the thumbs down as a trial, so we'll see how it goes after a while. We can also tweak the wording etc.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

5 members found this post helpful.

^^^

Got it. I appreciate that you guys need to road test the inventions of Facebook here.

Don't worry about the wording-- it's the thumb that carries all the power.

And here's how the Diesel Dorks do it that seems to work. As someone else mentioned, you can "rep" someone on those sites. Now those aren't given out willy nilly. One must earn that proverbial thumbs up. And usually the thumbed upper posts a short one in the thread that lets the thumbee know what he/she did to earn the digit of respect.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

And another thing!

Mods, could you sort out the PM notifications from the "I rock/suck" notifications? I'd hate to miss an actual message because I had come to ignore the thousands of this-n-that thumb-based notifications I'd see.

Only if it's convenient. Thanks!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I don't care about the like/dislike, but I don't want a notification every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I'm refusing to ever click on either like or unlike. Altho on the NYTimes comments, I do click on the approve/like only.

Wait till the next train wreck. My now 26 likes and one dislike will be changed forever. Then I'll be back to being last in the Ms Coth Congeniality contest.

I also agree about separating the PMs from the sucking notifications.

The thumbs are turning out to be fun. I have a question, though. It makes sense that one cannot Thumbs Up their own posts, but I have a ton of Notifications, yet on each post you can't see how many people hated or loved your post.

You have to go to Notifications, then click & click. Couldn't it be made so that when you're in a thread you can look at your own post and see if it got any action?

Update: Maybe there's a delay? On some posts I see "5 out of 5 members...." or whatever. But on other posts no message appears but I have a notification that links back to that post. So never mind....sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    see if it got any action?
    Hee!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Oh, didn't know about the notifications. Apparently no one has any feelings about me and my posts one way or the other!

I like the "like". I wish it were just called "like". It's a time-saver, and sometimes you just want to say "this person said what I would've said, so the OP can know that 2 -- or 3 or 752 -- people would give the same answer". Without the time- and bandwidth-consuming quotes of entire replies just to say "ditto" or "this!".

I don't think I'd be hurt if I got dislikes upon saying something questionable or contentious, but if I were puzzled, what's my recourse? That's the only thing I don't like. Was it a slip of the finger, did I make an innocent gaffe, am I clueless, what?!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?