The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tekna saddle: good price?

Sorry for making another thread, but I wanted to make extra sure that my question was seen. I found a Tekna A8 with a wide tree that looks almost new. It comes with all the fittings which I like because I don't have anything in black or a dressage girth. It is $500 shipped. Is that a good price for one? I want to make sure that in case it doesn't fit that I will be able to get my money back out of it.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Well... You can get a brand new one for the same price to $50 more without fittings if you shop around. Depends on the quality of the fittings that are included.

Not sure if you're questioning the accuracy/veracity of this reply

The saddles you're seeing on clearance are the Tekna A8 dressage saddles, which are built on a synthetic Prestige tree. That means you need a Prestige-authorized saddle adjuster with a very specific saddle-adjustment machine to do it. Long story short, the bars of the saddle are solid metal, not the birchwood/steel plate combo that can be adjusted on a typical tree press. It is literally impossible to adjust them without super-heating the metal, which is what the Prestige tree-adjusting machine does.

The Tekna A8 isn't a practical option compared to buying the Tekna S dressage. Best case scenario, you spend $350 + $35 shipping at ART to buy the saddle and have it shipped direct to a Prestige dealer, then pay $150 to have the Tekna adjusted to match your mare and sent back to you in Michigan. That's $534 already, and you'll be hoping and praying that it actually fits your horse because you still won't have seen it by then. If you have to resell it, you'll never get the cost of the adjustment back from your buyers, meaning you're out at least $150 + $34 shipping. I don't see why you'd bother when for $562 you can have the user-adjustable gullet on the Tekna S dressage AND get a trial ride before buying.
    Remember that Victory Canter includes all the gullets at this price

Did you read this topic
    New Tekna S vs Older Tekna Dressage

If your horse is the one I'm thinking of (grey/white with swayed back???) I'd go with an adjustable gullet saddle IF the tree shape is suitable, or at least, wool flocked panels that are easily adjustable (ie some of the foam/wool combined panels are very expensive to have adjusted due to work hours).

It's likely that the A8 & AS trees fit differently, a Tekna rep is likely your best adviser on this aspect - even better though, is if you have both saddles & a saddle fitter & you & your horse all in the same arena

This one looks about new. This one is already the wide tree so I wouldn't have to get it adjusted by a saddle fitter (hopefully). My mare is the white one posted in the other thread, but I would hardly consider her sway backed.
    The Blog

Sorry, I may be confusing your horse with another (there are alot of grey horses ) - I was thinking that if horse in question (if you have photos you might post them) has been out of work or doing different work, as she develops dressage muscling, you'll likely appreciate a more adjustable saddle (if you have a local fitter that can help, it's less of a concern ... if you're in no-saddle-fitter/no-saddle-tack-shop land it's nice not to need to ship in/out).

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...99388908_n.jpg this is her. We have a local saddle fitter that will be happy to help with the brands she sells but beyond that isn't very good. My last experience with her was her trying to "bully" me into buying a saddle that fit my horse but not me.
    The Blog

OK not the photo I had in mind
    (imagine me nonchalantly whistling over my mistake - not sure that is really well communicated by this strange dude)

Definitely skip on that fitter & spend a ton of time online - Trumbull Mtn has a wealth of information, Thorowgood/Fairfax website has some excellent video, watch the Schleese 9 Step Video Series, ask to look at the saddle fit on any horse you chance by (this can be a trifle embarrassing at times)

(& if jn4jenny recommends a short list based upon horse conformation, start there )

Contact one of the shops that sell Tekna that offer online saddle fit consults - you don't want to ship in saddles that are unlikely to fit as it gets expensive, very quickly.

Saddle hunting seems to be consuming my every spare minute right now. I keep prowling eBay, CL, and all the tack for sale sites looking for something that will work.
    The Blog