The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    I am only your northern neighbor, but truly I hope American society has progressed further along to resolving conflict than fighting with each other. The devastation of war is Just. NOT. Worth. It. It would take your country years... and I do mean YEARS, to get over another war - we are still cleaning up old artillery from WWII, let alone subsequent battles.

America is a wonderful country. You have SO much going for it. The very thing you treasure the most - FREEDOM - of speech, movement, religion, etc., is the very thing that allows you to have such conversations about politics, society issues, and allows you all to argue with each other to get your points across.

Don't let that same freedom tear you apart!

It would break my heart. My roots are from America since my Grandma was born in NYC, and my Grandpa was born in Michigan. I hope I have totally misunderstood and that the thought was just more of a jokingly funny thought than any possibility of being real!
    Rodawn, I completely agree with you! No way should we even entertain splitting this country into two pieces.. We would all lose quite frankly.

The thing you people don't seem to understand is that money and the people and institution that have it can move. With the red states out performing the blue state as far as the economy is concerned, and the red state's idea of lower taxes and less regulation you think businesses and rich people will stay in a blue state country with high, re-distributive tax policies? Go ask California...or Michigan.

By the way Opryland was closed 15 years ago. Maybe you guys aren't as bright about the assests of the red states as you think you are...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    I don't think its 50/50. I think its 30% liberal,30% conservative and the the other 40% are in the middle. Unfortunately the parties are controlled by the 30/30 groups.
    I've seen numbers as extreme as 15, 15, and 70 percent. Which kinda starts to turn the discussion from splitting the country in half into deciding where to form a reservation for the obnoxious minority who believes terms like "civil discussion" and "compromise" to have no place in governance "for and of the people".

2 members found this post helpful.

I simply want to see a return to the principles by which this country was founded...liberty, freedom from Big Brother telling you what to do with minute aspects of your lives such as what you can and can't eat or where you can buy your food (and yes they do this now), freedom from corrupt leaders and cronyism where presidents appoint their buddies as Czars, and I do NOT want to see our great country become a nanny state...something it is well on the path for now. I see terrible financial collapse coming if something isn't done soon to reduce debt and regain the strength of our currency which has been so degraded.

We already fought a civil war once to maintain this nation and to free a large number of it's citizens and we cannot go back down that path. It would be the end of our history but we can't let it die from corruption internally as did Rome either.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." A. Lincoln

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't believe for one minute we'll have a civil war. When the hurricanes come and we all run to help one another one week before the election nobody asks who you're voting for.

I believe with my whole heart that anybody with an Obama sign in their front yard would run to help the person with the Romney sign and vice versa. That's the great thing about this country and We.Will.Not.Lose.It.

Over the past 8 years the hate mongering has been fostered enormously by hate radio: Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity being the worst offenders. Since Fox News went so hateful and nuts and achieved such great success, MSNBC has followed suit almost (almost) as bad. But that's media. That's not you & me living our lives.

Also, the hate mongering will run its course. People are getting sick of it. None of the people I mentioned are taken as other than jokes by anyone under 40 and their popularity has waned from a couple years ago.

If a horse where you board was in trouble, you'd run to help without asking Red or Blue.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    I don't believe for one minute we'll have a civil war. When the hurricanes come and we all run to help one another one week before the election nobody asks who you're voting for.

I believe with my whole heart that anybody with an Obama sign in their front yard would run to help the person with the Romney sign and vice versa. That's the great thing about this country and We.Will.Not.Lose.It.

Over the past 8 years the hate mongering has been fostered enormously by hate radio: Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity being the worst offenders. Since Fox News went so hateful and nuts and achieved such great success, MSNBC has followed suit almost (almost) as bad. But that's media. That's not you & me living our lives.

Also, the hate mongering will run its course. People are getting sick of it. None of the people I mentioned are taken as other than jokes by anyone under 40 and their popularity has waned from a couple years ago.

If a horse where you board was in trouble, you'd run to help without asking Red or Blue.
    You forgot to add the 8 years CBS and ABC made fun and bashed Bush mercilessly and now ABC has been sounding like an Obama infomercial since he became president and jumps down the throat of anyone daring to say any other than how wonderful he and everything else is.

If you are going to nit-pick, don't forget there are nits everywhere.

There is divisiveness every place you care to look and if you noticed it or not in your history lessons in grade school, that has always been so.

I do wish people in general were more civil, but that applies to all, not just politics.
    I don't know how we can fix that.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    I thought this was hilarious!
    That is funny, thanks for sharing.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I'm not nit-picking. There is ZERO comparison between how the major networks treated Bush and how Beck, Hannity, and Limbaugh, and formerly Bill O'Reilly treat people who think differently than they do. I was often astounded during the Bush years that the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) simply did not cover his endless stream of malapropisms, for instance. I have a car that only gets AM radio, and 2 stations at that. I listen to right-wing radio on my commute every day so I know what I'm talking about. They flat-out say things like Obama is literally hoping our country fails and that he is literally working to bring it to its destruction. And that's a mild comment.

Please give me quotes of ABC News "jumping down the throat of anyone daring to say any other than how wonderful he and everything else is." Quotes like this are common from Limbaugh: "[Obama] obviously has got a new role model, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe. The next thing to look out for is for Obama to take the farms. Well, that's what Zimbabwe, that's what Mugabe did, he took the white people's farms."

As I said, that's media spreading hate. It doesn't affect whether or not I would help you in an emergency. That's real.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    But honestly, we are so divisive at this point, I wonder if it would help bring peace? One country could be the Liberal States of America with a government-supported economy as Obama wants it and the other could be the Conservative States of America based on small government and the free market.
    Obama isn't a liberal in any situation that could cost him politically. Which is most of them, so he's basically a machine politician who depends on demonizing the opposition. The Republicans aren't hard to demonize, and themselves depend for support on fanning the conservative weakness for feeling victimized, so that relationship really works out well for everyone. Split the country in two and both parties would collapse in a year.

[QUOTE=Anne FS;6638202Please give me quotes of ABC News "jumping down the throat of anyone daring to say any other than how wonderful he and everything else is." [/QUOTE]
    How about in Septmeber of 2004 Dan Rather of CBS news' 60 Minutes using blantatly forged documents trying to show that Bush used political connections to avoid service in Vietnam? It was so egregious that four senior producers lost their jobs and Rather was ousted a few months later.

Anne, if you want to compare Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh the better comparison is not network news, but the now defunk AirAmerica. Obviously, you missed the spew coming out of that entity--lucky you.

"Defunk"? Well, you're helping me make my point (in more ways than one).

AirAmerica is defunct because the left does not go for that kind of hate speech the right eats up with relish. AirAmerica didn't last long, did it? Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh are still around because they have (as someone else on here said) the right wing wackadoos, and the people who say "defunk." I'd still help you in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    "Defunk"? Well, you're helping me make my point (in more ways than one).

AirAmerica is defunct because the left does not go for that kind of hate speech the right eats up with relish. AirAmerica didn't last long, did it? Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh are still around because they have (as someone else on here said) the right wing wackadoos, and the people who say "defunk." I'd still help you in an emergency.
    I will say, I have never listened to Fox, much less to the others mentioned, can't stand those kinds of talks for long.
    I will also say that, in a more subtle way, so much on NPR and PBS is the same, for the "other" side.
    Not all do that, but enough to make when they do it hard to swallow, from either side.

When some use myths, exaggerations, out of context and outright lies to gather followers, no matter who that is, in politics, animal rights extremist groups, wherever, they have already lost, in my eyes.

There is plenty to be said about all and anything we do and the opinions we hold, for good and objectionable.
    We don't need to be dramatic and flat out lie to make our points, really.
    That reflects on us and those we are trying to support more than on those we are attacking and it stifles conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    How about in Septmeber of 2004 Dan Rather of CBS news' 60 Minutes using blantatly forged documents trying to show that Bush used political connections to avoid service in Vietnam? It was so egregious that four senior producers lost their jobs and Rather was ousted a few months later.
    I somehow missed this yesterday.

This is an excellent post by subk, who had to go all the way back to 2004 to find one incident of unfair reporting. 2004!

And look at the result: The famous anchor was fired. Senior producers were fired. Why? Because that kind of reporting is not tolerated. They lost their jobs because of that falsification. I remember reading an interview with the secretary of the man whose documents they purported to be. She admitted that the statements were a true reflection of what he believed. IOW, as much of a Bush supporter as she was, she admitted that he did indeed evade service. However, the documents weren't what they were said to be, so Dan Rather was fired.

Meanwhile Fox News repeatedly says horrible things and do they ever fire people when caught? Never. There are entire video collections of Fox News reporters outright lying, but does Fox fire them? No way.

And that's the difference right there.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Fox actually tells it's reporters what to say and how to approach a story if it falls into certain categories. Even at the local levels with affiliates.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The thing I really don't understand is all the poor Republicans voting for socially conservative platforms. Doesn't this present a conflict of interest? Aren't the poor the last folks on Earth to want hard-hearted Social Darwinism? After all, they will be the first to run out of money and, if logic serves, deserve the no help they get.

My dad was this way. The dude remained a die-hard Republican even as he personally got poorer and poorer up to his death.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    (Hubby says the liberals couldn't maintain their own country without the red state rich guys. LOL! )
    Actually traditional Red states tend to get the most federal money
    TOP TEN FREELOADERS:1. New Mexico: $2.63
    2. West Virginia: $2.57
    3. Mississippi: $2.47
    4. District of Colombia: $2.41
    5. Hawaii: $2.38
    6. Alabama: $2.03
    7. Alaska: $1.93
    8. Montana: $1.92
    9. South Carolina: $1.92
    10. Maine: $1.78
    With the exception of New Mexico, most of these states tend to vote for Republicans,

http://thebrabblerabble.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/40/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Actually traditional Red states tend to get the most federal money
    TOP TEN FREELOADERS:1. New Mexico: $2.63
    2. West Virginia: $2.57
    3. Mississippi: $2.47
    4. District of Colombia: $2.41
    5. Hawaii: $2.38
    6. Alabama: $2.03
    7. Alaska: $1.93
    8. Montana: $1.92
    9. South Carolina: $1.92
    10. Maine: $1.78
    With the exception of New Mexico, most of these states tend to vote for Republicans,

http://thebrabblerabble.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/40/

Exactly, hence my above question: Are you Republicans sure you can afford your beliefs?

If you look at what's going down in the Eurozone and within countries like Italy and Spain, you'll see that the rich sections want to cut themselves away from the poor sections.

I don't believe that political beliefs can be separated from one's actual (or imagined) place in the economy. So why not cut out the middle man and own up to the fact that you don't want to help out the poor and accurately or inaccurately think your are not poor nor ever will be.

Sorry to sound so Marxist, but I am a Marxist on this philosophical point.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Exactly, hence my above question: Are you Republicans sure you can afford your beliefs?

If you look at what's going down in the Eurozone and within countries like Italy and Spain, you'll see that the rich sections want to cut themselves away from the poor sections.

I don't believe that political beliefs can be separated from one's actual (or imagined) place in the economy. So why not cut out the middle man and own up to the fact that you don't want to help out the poor and accurately or inaccurately think your are not poor nor ever will be.

Sorry to sound so Marxist, but I am a Marxist on this philosophical point.

I will say, you are lucky you must be living in a country where you can say you are a marxist without being picked up by the knock on the door in the middle of the night and summarily shot by a firing squad.

I wonder how many really know what marxism really is.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Obama isn't a liberal in any situation that could cost him politically.
    It's a shame when "Liberal" is a dirty word for some.

Liberal is tolerance for people with different beliefs, the willingness to give people the benefit of the doubt and a helping hand when they need it and the belief that we are responsible for leaving the earth at least as healthy as we found it, not plundering it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    It's a shame when "Liberal" is a dirty word for some.

Liberal is tolerance for people with different beliefs, the willingness to give people the benefit of the doubt and a helping hand when they need it and the belief that we are responsible for leaving the earth at least as healthy as we found it, not plundering it.
    The trouble is in the details, what liberals believe is not always sensible or even possible, but well, lets do it if by that we trash all in the process.
    The real trouble, liberals want to dictate to all what they are going to do if they like it or not if it makes sense or not, if the world ends or not, because, well, they want the ducks lined a certain way and only that way.

I am so glad there are all kinds out there, so no one on any side gets to push their ways around too much or for too long and so hasten our self destruction.