The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Split Country?

It's pretty obvious we are pretty much 50/50 in this country regarding conservative/liberal - just look at the polls! I know this sounds totally off-the-wall crazy, but have any of you thought it possible that our country would go through another civil war and split along party lines? I know the logistics would be beyond difficult with the red states being in the middle of the country and the blue ones on the coasts. But honestly, we are so divisive at this point, I wonder if it would help bring peace?

One country could be the Liberal States of America with a government-supported economy as Obama wants it and the other could be the Conservative States of America based on small government and the free market.

(Hubby says the liberals couldn't maintain their own country without the red state rich guys. LOL! )
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

3 members found this post helpful.

I think this is a fantastic idea!

Have your read The Handmaid's Tale? Because I imagine that that is what the Conservative States of America would look like...

All kidding aside, though, given how polarized our country is politically, something like this might be inevitable.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

There's such a deadlock in the congress right now, we can't get anything done anyway. Glad to know I'm not crazy! LOL
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Yes. It will turn into something I think. The more people are forced to A. Support the able bodied abd B. Support things that go against their faith, the more likely it will turn ugly.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

This is a funny topic and conceptually in my mind I can imagine how the two sides would fall out.

But, I hope this never happens, ever!

I was having a conversation with some fellow liberals and we all agreed, we can foresee another civil war within our lifetime, yes.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Yes. It will turn into something I think. The more people are forced to A. Support the able bodied abd B. Support things that go against their faith, the more likely it will turn ugly.
    This is good, because I wouldn't want to live in a country governed by those that don't understand the separation between church and state. Y'all love the Constitution, except the parts you don't love. What part of you can't legislate religion is confusing?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

6 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Could we carve out a small country for the centrists? Those who agree with bits of each side, but think both the far left and far right are riding the crazy train?

12 members found this post helpful.

I thought this was hilarious!

Dear Red States:

We're ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we've decided we're leaving.
    We in Maryland intend to form our own country and we're taking the other Blue States with us.
    In case you aren't aware, that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, and the rest of the Northeast.
    We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:
    ~ You get Texas, Oklahoma, and all the slave states.
    ~ We get stem cell research and the best beaches.
    ~ We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.
    ~ We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.
    ~ We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.
    ~ We get Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Haverford, Colgate, U of R, UC, and Stanford. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines (you can serve
    French wines at state dinners), 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Yale, Cal Tech, and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson, and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals than we lefties.

We're taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

Citizen of the Enlightened States of America

18 members found this post helpful.

The problem is that for all the GOP rhetoric about small government, that hasn't been the GOP's view since Ronald Reagan's first term ended. Both the liberals and the conservatives (which have nothing in common with Barry Goldwater conservatives) are in favor of enormous government and out of control spending. Both favor an Empire, and both favor using the powers of the government to cram their vision down the throats of everyone else. Today's conservatives have been highjacked by the religious right and instead of shrinking government want to use strong government power to impose a stifling socially conservative environment on others, while dominating the world with a gargantuan military.

There is no place for individuals minding their own business, earning what they earn and keeping what they earn, while wanting to left alone, in either view. Individuals are simply useful milch-cows to be exploited and bullied.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

7 members found this post helpful.

... And another GREAT quote by a sensible Repub of long ago ~

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
    The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom.... I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are?... I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

- Barry Goldwater, (1909–1998), five-term US Senator, Republican Party nominee for President in 1964*, Maj. Gen., US Air Force Reserves, author of The Conscience of a Conservative"

I don't think its 50/50. I think its 30% liberal,30% conservative and the the other 40% are in the middle. Unfortunately the parties are controlled by the 30/30 groups.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

From what I've seen of the GOP, they desperately want big government. They just want it under the auspices of privatizing most of the stuff that the government does to make it more efficient and cost-effective by putting it in the hands of megacorps and contractors like Haliburton. Can you imagine a private company replacing the DMV, water and power, the post office, all hospitals and health care providers, and the military branches being run mostly by contractors overseeing a large pool of draftees whenever a big conflict arises? They can and they will push for it under the auspices of eliminating government waste and promoting free market capitalism.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    I thought this was hilarious!
    Where does that quote come from, Nasalberry? That IS pretty funny!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That letter has been floating around for a while. I don't know where it came from but it's all over the place.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm neither liberal or conservative so does that mean I have to move to Canada? Because I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    (Hubby says the liberals couldn't maintain their own country without the red state rich guys. LOL! )
    If hubby is actually interested in facts, and not just making snarky comments, he could check out one of the many sources that show how the blue states are actually subsidizing the red states

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps

6 members found this post helpful.

Back in 1990's, I remember seeing a piece in USA today showing the US split into five sections. It's been a while but they were the northeast, the south, the midwest, the southwest, and the northwest.

Linked is an old piece about Texas succeeding (which I don't think they can but
    can split into five smaller states per the agreement when they joined the U.S.):
    http://moretexastruth.blogspot.com/2...-from-usa.html

Personally, I'm SICK of the counter-productive "I'm right and you're just plain stupid," thinking. I want it to end, but we think and act so differently, I see splitting the counrty as a viable option.

I am only your northern neighbor, but truly I hope American society has progressed further along to resolving conflict than fighting with each other. The devastation of war is Just. NOT. Worth. It. It would take your country years... and I do mean YEARS, to get over another war - we are still cleaning up old artillery from WWII, let alone subsequent battles.

America is a wonderful country. You have SO much going for it. The very thing you treasure the most - FREEDOM - of speech, movement, religion, etc., is the very thing that allows you to have such conversations about politics, society issues, and allows you all to argue with each other to get your points across.

Don't let that same freedom tear you apart!

It would break my heart. My roots are from America since my Grandma was born in NYC, and my Grandpa was born in Michigan. I hope I have totally misunderstood and that the thought was just more of a jokingly funny thought than any possibility of ever becoming a reality!
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!