The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Obscure One Hit Wonders

For some odd reason, I found myself watching Heartbeat last night at a rather awful hour. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up aorund midnight and saw Heartbeat was on, so watched it. What does this show have to do with one hit wonders? Well, it all has to do with the music they play during the show, and one song was I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman by Whistling Jack Smith. Anyone remember this one - http://tunecaster.com/song-page/w/wh...tman-1967.html

Add your own.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Ok, just the way he's dancing and snapping his fingers while whistling ON STAGE was hilarious. What a hoot!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Worse than the dancing.....he was whistle syncing.

I'll play! All of the following are on my iPod. Yeah, there's ads before most of the videos. Be patient.

Ah, the androgynous men-in-makeup look of the 80s!

Technically not a one-hit wonder, because they also had "I know what boys like."

Or how about the American version (by After the Fire) of Falco's Der Kommisar?

Did Donnie Iris ever do anything other than "Ah Leah?"

Revived in the UK when it was re-done by Man Like Me, here's the original "You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties," with the incomparable Kirsty MacColl (from 2000) on back up.

Why, yes, I did come of age in the 80s, however did you guess?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I find Break Out by Swing Out Sister pretty catchy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I'll play! All of the following are on my iPod. Yeah, there's ads before most of the videos. Be patient.

Ah, the androgynous men-in-makeup look of the 80s!

Technically not a one-hit wonder, because they also had "I know what boys like."

Or how about the American version (by After the Fire) of Falco's Der Kommisar?

Did Donnie Iris ever do anything other than "Ah Leah?"

Revived in the UK when it was re-done by Man Like Me, here's the original "You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties," with the incomparable Kirsty MacColl (from 2000) on back up.

Why, yes, I did come of age in the 80s, however did you guess?

LOL, damn, I had forgotten about these guys!

But After the Fire WAS Falko.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQg3KM8O8T0
    he had a couple big hits. (Didn't hurt that there was a TV show from Austria on at the time, the lead was a guy who kind of resembled him)

Also not exactly a one hit guy, but close enough:
    Johnny Logan - Hold Me Now best love song of the late 80s.

But this is the absolute ultimate one hit wonder:
    John Miles - Music
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

You 80s kids forgot the Ultimate 80s One Hit Wonder

Default OK SK, challenge met and accepted!

I am a musical child of the 60s. I happen to LOVE one hit wonders. How about Little Latin Lupe Lu, by the Chancellors, NOT the Righteous Brothers, or the Stones, but I looked for this song for 40 years, and found it online. I spent the first year of my retirment downloading songs on a 56 k modem. How about Gimme gimme good lovin' by Crazy Elephant? or Mr Dyingly Sad by the Critters? not actually a OHW because they had one or two other songs. But that is a beauty. Mrs Bluebird by Eternity's Children. How about some soul? Who's Makin' Love? By heck, I can't remember, and I am away from my stash at the moment. Paper Tiger, another one with another one or two hits, but they were minor. And who can forget Surfer Joe? ahem, if you are of such an age anyway. I will think of more....
    Another killer of threads

1 members found this post helpful.

Ahhhhhhh, Larksmom, how about some instrumentals like Apache and Baby Elephant Walk and Last Date? Who of us can forget the one hit wonder, Surfin Bird by The Trashmen? So many songs from the 50s and 60s in this category. Almost fitting in this category is Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, and almost fitting because Brian Hyland put out lots of stuff, not much of it memorable or very far up the charts. I love obscure music!!

1 members found this post helpful.

More 80s-

Greg Kin and the ___ band (can't remember the name) one hit - Jeopardy.

Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes

Boz Skaggs - Lido

Taco - Puttin' on the Ritz

Blotto - I want to be a Lifeguard

There's so many.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Greg Kin and the ___ band (can't remember the name) one hit - Jeopardy..
    Ah, but Jeopardy was the second hit! The first was The Breakup Song (aka They Don't Write 'Em Like That Anymore). And it's the Greg Kihn Band.

But After the Fire WAS Falko.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQg3KM8O8T0
    he had a couple big hits. (Didn't hurt that there was a TV show from Austria on at the time, the lead was a guy who kind of resembled him)

Nope. I thought so, too, but when I went looking for the song on iTunes, I discovered that After the Fire was an American band:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Kommissar_(song)

And who could forget these two rather bizarre ones?

I Wanna Be A Cowboy

White Horse
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ym3RlvVR9M Andy Kim. Rock Me Gently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH73aO_Soo Breathe. Hands To Heaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk We can't forget Right Said Fred!!!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    You 80s kids forgot the Ultimate 80s One Hit Wonder
    Here I was expecting to be RickRolled.

Not obscure, but my all-time favorite one hit wonder and one of my favorite songs in general... I have four cover versions on my iPod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1iwQxiHrs

The Outfield/Your Love
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Ahhhhhhh, Larksmom, how about some instrumentals like Apache and Baby Elephant Walk and Last Date? Who of us can forget the one hit wonder, Surfin Bird by The Trashmen? So many songs from the 50s and 60s in this category. Almost fitting in this category is Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, and almost fitting because Brian Hyland put out lots of stuff, not much of it memorable or very far up the charts. I love obscure music!!
    Hey, Baby Elephant Walk can't go on the one hit wonder list, some guy by the name of Henry Mancini did that one. I hear he had a few other notable songs.

Here was the one hit wonder that drove me crazy every time it came on the radio, and it came on over and over and over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnk8SKD9zcA

This one made me sing along though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

That goes with one-eyed one-horned - flyin purple people eater.
    Say that three times fast!!
    I remember Baby Elephant Walk.
    Please Mr. Custer?? (I Don't Wanna Go)???

The Chevy Volt.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Default home now, looking over my list....

The Harlem Shuffle, ONLY by Bob Kuban and the In-Men, We ain't got 'nuthin yet, Blues Magoos, A question of Temperature by the Balloon Farm, speaking of Balloons, how about Yellow Balloon by the Yellow Balloons? Hot Smoke and Sassafrass by Bubble Puppy. And then theres Chris Montez who was a three hit wonder, Lets dance, Call me, [the best], and the More I see you, Psychotic Reaction, and one of the BEST OBSCURE ohw, of all time, Hold Tight by Dave Dozey Beaky Mick and Tich.
    Concrete and Clay by Eddie Rambeau, and Iko Iko the Dixie cups. Even tho it is a two hit wonder, If you're thinkin' what I'm thinkin' by Dino Desi and Billy. More later, gotta go see mom.
    Another killer of threads

Incense and Peppermint - Strawberry Alarm Clock

2 members found this post helpful.

Question I wonder how many of you might recall this one ...

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    That goes with one-eyed one-horned - flyin purple people eater.
    Say that three times fast!!
    I remember Baby Elephant Walk.
    Please Mr. Custer?? (I Don't Wanna Go)???
    Can't count Flying Purple People Eater as Sheb Wooley had several hits as himself (cover of Frankie Laine's Rawhide) and the rest as his alter ego, Ben Colder. The Ben Colder songs include 15 Beers Ago, Ten Little Bottles, Almost Persuaded and Shaky Breaky Car, parodies of 15 Years Ago (Conway Twitty) Almost Persuaded (David Houston) and Achy Breaky Heart; Ten Little Bottles was his own creation. I think most of them are on youtube. Most of these require one to be a child of the 50s (Sshhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone!!)

Please. Mr Custer certainly does qualify, and I do have vague recollections of it. Damn!! I feel old!!!ROFLMAO