The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeding Leases

I have a very good friend who really likes my filly. In a few weeks, my filly will be moving to this ladies farm and will stay in that area to be trained and do her MPT, etc. I had also toyed around with breeding her, however am not currently in a position to do so. This lady breeds Hanoverians and stands a few stallions...and I trust her immensely.

I mentioned the idea of a breeding lease to her and we are in the process of figuring things out. Could you recommend any good tips? She would cover board, feed, vet, farrier, all breeding costs and all costs associated with this mare & foal until the foal is weaned. At the end of the lease she would own the foal. My horse is insured, but I would bump that insurance up to major medical. Does anyone have any sample breeding leases I could look over? Should I ask some money to lease her until 2014?

Thanks!

The person leasing the filly should pay for insurance with major medical.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    The person leasing the filly should pay for insurance with major medical.
    I think it depends on the situation. There are many ways to structure a lease agreement. Mary Lou's puts more of the onus on the person leasing the mare.

I leased two nice mares, one an EM (Hanoverian) and another a nice main studbook GOV mare. In both cases, I did not have to pay the mortality/major medical policy, that was paid by the owner. I did pay the expenses for the mares while they were here (although one owner did pay for the spring shots and trimming of his mare's feet, but that was part of the deal he offered me).

In addition to the person paying for the insurance, you need to consider what happens if the mare should lose the foal. Is there an option for extension of the lease? Everything needs to be in writing. Here is a link to bayequest.com, which has some good sample leases. http://bayequest.info/static/forms/
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Thanks all. So far we have agreed upon that she would cover board from now until weaning, feed, vet, farrier, all breeding costs, and would put some training on her (she's great with young horses). However, we need to sit down and figure out the more finer details which will hopefully be done asap!

I have a breeding lease right now, mare had a foal by her side when it started, so mare owner covered costs of mare until weaning. I was responsible for all breeding costs. 2012 foal is now weaned and I am responsible for all costs, including insurance which is mortality/major medical. My lease is written with an extension clause in it, so if I want to extend after weaning of 2013 foal, I can, and/or, if mare loses the 2013 foal, I can rebreed. Mare owner was really easy to work with when we were tweaking the lease :-)