The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Recommendations for best (and most affordable) inversion tables?

Calling all people with back problems--or more specifically, those who utilize spinal decompression!

I know there are a variety of these out there, but the quality (and price point) varies widely. I go to the chiropractor every few weeks and use their fancy DTS machine, but it's $60 per 20 minute decompression session (not including the adjustment), and OF COURSE insurance doesn't cover it. It feels wonderful, but I could probably go longer between visits if I had a table at home (I borrowed one from a friend last year for a couple of weeks, and loved it.)

TIA for any suggestions!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Check Craigslist. I often see them posted there in the $100 range.

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Seriously, there's a bunch of them on DC Craigslist right now for not much at all.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yes, I was thinking Craigslist (though I am in the Stone Age, and have never actually *used* it! ) I need to force myself into the 21st Century, I guess!

Any recommendations on best brands or types for the money? I know most of them are fairly similar in design, but there are personal preferences among users...

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't know of anyone who could tell you what a good inversion table is. It seems like a straightforward and uncomplex device with a universal design. Then again, there probably is someone making a luxury model with plush cushioning, built-in speakers, a flip-down TV, and a plug for your iDevice or MP3 player.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The one I have is a Hang-Ups brand. It has been fitted with a small motor to create vibration so the decompression is enhanced.
    Last edited by fanfayre; Oct. 30, 2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: meant enhanced, not expanded
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    The one I have is a Hang-Ups brand. It has been fitted with a small motor to create vibration so the decompression is expanded.
    fancy....

I got one sitting around here, I think we bought it from walmart, not sure.
    I seem to remember the puppy was 150 bucks new, it's heavy duty, but with no thrills, you wedge your feet in, buckle up and swing on over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I've used a few different brands and haven't found one to be tons better than another. Just as an FYI, make sure that whatever one you get has the strap at the bottom to control the angle of inversion; you don't need to go completely upside down/vertical to get the benefit. (Don't remember the best "most therapeutic" angle, but I can ask my muscle therapy guy. I think it *might* be 50 degrees....)

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

So... Do they work?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    So... Do they work?
    Did/does for me! 8 minutes at a time, inverted to the 50degrees mentioned above, and the motor vibration set to 6.5g. I also have my back wedged to form the proper spinal shape while I'm tabling.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Thanks, fanfayre! I have a machine I use called "Back to Life" which provides gentle traction (you lie on the floor and put your legs over it), so this type of inversion table sounds ideal, I will check it out