The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Can I brag a little?

OK, this is dog show brags. My friends just don't get it at all, why I train and show dogs, and god only knows, there are times when I wonder why I do it! But we finished our show season this past weekend, and my three dogs and I completed 15 new titles with limited showing. Dixie got 7, Harry got 4, and Annie got 4 --- and Annie was also went blue in 11 shows as a junior altered bitch. Being a ribbon whore, the rosettes are hung on my walls and the flats are being stored and will be made into a quilt.

My brag is now finished --- just had to tell someone who would understand training and competition --- whether it's dogs or horses!

Congratulations! What breed of dog are they? I did not know you could show altered bitches - very interesting! I have 3 purebred dogs, none of whom are show quality, but they are beautiful to me! Would love to see pictures of yours... I'm sure there is a ton of work involved.

Thank you! Only some associations let you show altered dogs --- ASCA and UKC, for example. Two of my dogs are rescues --- Harry, a 6 yr old who looks like a 70 pound Sheltie but is accepted as a Rough Collie, and Dixie, a 70 pound Aussie (with a little bit of Bernese Mountain Dog in the woodshed, I think!) AKC recognizes both of them through their PAL/ILP listings, so they show in obedience and rally. Annie is a purebred Aussie who also shows rally and obedience, but she's still my baby at 17 months. I "home school" --- my dogs aren't with trainers, I do it all myself. All 3 of my dogs are spoiled rotten, but isn't that the point of having dogs? :-)