The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Misery loves (needs) company! Unemployed job seekers check in.

Unemployed since 7/1.

I think I've reached job hunting overload or my brain is shutting down. Every job description registers in my brain as "blahblahblah". Tired and burned out.

How is everyone else doing? What are you doing to fight the job hunting blues?

I am unemployed too, as a matter of fact have been almost 50% of the time since I graduated in 2008. My problem is that I am overqualified and that jobs that match my experience are few and far between. We relocated to a new city in 2008 when my spouse got a permanent job, and other than the occasional contract it has been extremely difficult to find employment. The most frustrating part is that I am willing to take jobs I am overqualified for, but seldom get offers. I have almost reached the point where I want to lie by omission and strike some degrees off my resume.

My way to deal with it is to look at the bright side. I am fortunate that my spouse has a good permanent job so neither I nor my animals will starve. I have lots of time to volunteer, spend with my horse and my dog, help out my family, decorate and organize the house we bought last year. And while I wish we had more money, I have made the decision that unless things get tighter financially I will not take a soul-sucking job just not to be unemployed, I would rather spend the time trying to make a positive difference in my life and that of others.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got a part time job at REI, so I've got a little bit of money coming in and it's kind of fun. I actually started thinking "umm well maybe I could just work my way up the retail chain for a career?" I'm living with my sister and her family, taking care of her kids when she's at work so at least I feel like I'm contributing to SOMETHING.

I've been doing temporary jobs since January, so I'll have some periodic injections of hope, but nothing since August. I'm starting to worry that my apathy is affecting my interviews!

I have a friend in the same field that graduated with me, and we know each other's specialization enough to be able to help each other out. Having someone who can relate has been a big help. I also started online dating, so that keeps me busy

I also volunteer with a rescue (in my sig), which gets me out of the house every day and also lets me feel like I'm contributing to something.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Got laid off at the end of Sept, was not expected. Not finding a whole lot of jobs that relate to my degree/field in our area and just got a nice new FT job, so no relocating for me. I've expanded my search to include more technical/engineering jobs and have had some luck.

I'm lucky I have the Reserves to fall back on for a little income, been helping out the Funeral Honors Guard a bunch for veterans' funerals.

I found out at the end of last school year that my contract wasn't being renewed... then my dad got sick and passed away right after and I didn't have time to job hunt until it was definitely too late for this year. Keep checking every week and there is *nothing* available in my area. I actually applied to a school in California, though the thought of selling our house and moving across the country is still scary. Just going to keep taking classes to get another certification this year, and hope that in the spring when schools start looking, there will be a few more opportunities... it's going to be tough though because I have too much education and experience for most schools. ):

I'm unemployed since 8/3... I quit so that I could move with my husband, and I still haven't found anything.

Been unemployed a long time. Have a lot of experience in several areas - law, real estate (owned a brokerage), and insurance claims. Lucky my mortgage has been reasonable, and I HAD a good sized retirement account to make ends meet, although with penalties.

Last worked for exSO, who is an attorney. He relocated out of state, I helped him move, reorganized his business, and after 3 years it didn't work out being together 24/7. His income increased by about 200% when I was there, and he is now struggling and spending more time looking for a new SO than getting new clients. Would you believe he didn't like my working hard? And he preferred I just take orders, rather than do any decision making - even criticized how I took messages! This after about 10-15 years of executive decision making, professional courses, let alone significant real estate and litigation negotiations. Ptui.

Have probably applied to at least 75 jobs, albeit all within those areas. But I am 58 years old, and you can't tell me that the giggly gals at the end of the line during some phone interviews for jobs I'm perfectly qualified for, aren't being directed to ignore "the elderly". Plus I live in a rural area, and have a feeling my address has been kicked out by many computers doing the initial review of submitted resumes.

I got my adjuster's license back last year, which in NY State, and considering the governor's realigning several agencies, was a feat in itself. Then wanted to open up my own LLC, which then required dozens of more hoops to jump through, involving again several departments within the state, several redo's with my attorney, insurance bonds, the tax department, etc., etc. I have just now finally returned "the package" to the State, and hope to begin soliciting for work when it is approved - which may take weeks/months longer.

In the meantime, I've still applied to lots of other jobs. Even had one with an "in", but it seems to have vanished in her large corporation.

But I guess now that Sandy has hit, I might have some work. Hope so!

I have found that the toughest part is feeling "uninvolved". And living out in the country, and hanging out with the horse doesn't exactly keep me in touch. But it helps to do things that bring you "back into the real world". I'm in a class for small businesses, and when I can get together with a couple of friends that are professionals, and treat me the same way, I am rejuvenated.

Alternatively, annoying siblings, who mean well, but who constantly query about my status, I've learned to avoid. When I try to begin talking about my plans, I see them roll their eyes as they just 'don't have to think about that, Scahhhlett' (and we're Northerners! ).

But family, sometimes you have to "think professionally" with others!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm in this boat,too, and it's getting real old, real fast. I'm overqualified for entry-level in my field but lack some of the computer program experience needed for higher-level positions. I've applied for everything I'm remotely in the ballpark of, both above and below, and not gotten a single interview in months. I can't afford to go back to school, so that's out.

I will say this: there is nothing like a long job search to make you feel like a completely worthless human being. There are days when I start to wonder if I really am the utter waste of oxygen that prospective employers seem to believe I am.

The thing I hate the most is the (mostly Republican) attitude that it's my fault I'm poor because I don't work hard enough. What a bunch of BS! I work my ass off at any job, menial or higher-level. I often work harder than anyone around me. I take pride in doing the best job I can, whether I love the job or hate it. I strive to be the best at whatever I do. I'm not in this position due to a lack of hard work, and I resent the attitude that I am!

In fact, I kind of resent having been told that if you want something badly enough and work hard enough, you can achieve anything. I took pride in being at the top of my class throughout school (though I do admit I wish I had worked harder at school in my teenage years). I was told (and believed) that being smart and doing well in school were the ticket to the career I desired. I have a very high IQ and excellent grades, and they don't matter at all. If anything, brains intimidate people. What DOES matter, at least in my chosen field, kind of disgusts me: it's about who you know and, to an extent, how you look. After going through what I have trying to get a job I can honestly say I'd happily trade 20 IQ points to be a thin but curvy blonde. It's painfully frustrating to work with people in the field I want to be in and KNOW, without a shadow of a doubt, that I could do a better job than half of them. But I can't quite convince myself that I could be happy doing anything else, can't quite walk away.

I think the hardest part outside of not being appreciated or wanted for my talents is that people think I don't do anything. Most of the staff at the Website I write for (and on a piece of) just figure if they don't feel like doing something, I'll do it because, apparently, I have nothing better to do. Ditto my roommate, who seems to think that because I "don't work" I should be responsible for more around the house than my share. We both freelance, and I've worked hard not to step on her toes and take work away from her...and I can't say she's showing me the same courtesy. Job searching IS hard work, and most people don't get that, or get the horrible feeling of being totally useless that comes with being passed over time and again. It's a rare day that I don't spend most of my waking hours berating myself for obviously not being good enough, wondering what on earth makes me so terrible that NOBODY wants me for any job, and being angry every time I hear someone bitch about their job because I would trade places with them any time.

1 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, my company is hiring right now (not Southern Cross Ranch, I have a day job). It's in Conyers, GA near GIHP. PM for details
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Yup, been there.

Got laid off in Feb 2010. I was (don't know if I am anymore) a RE paralegal and we know what happened to that market. Tried working for AFLAC - door to door, driving around and making no money. Finally gave up. I know there are people who can sell fleas to a dog but I'm not one of them.

Kept looking and it's really hard to keep smiling when you are constantly getting rejection letters. I was circling the drain when I was watching Oprah (nothing else to do when your unemployed) and her and her friend to Yosemite. Watched thinking, 'that would be fun', got it mixed up in my head and applied with Yellowstone National Park for a summer job. Best thing I ever did. Left my horses with a good friend, packed up the house, deeded it back to the bank and off I went. One of the best summers of my life. Came back last August and spent the next 6 friggin months looking for a job again. N O T H I N G. Had a couple of interviews that didn't pan out and that was it. So, I went back to Yellowstone for this last summer and again had a blast. Met amazing people, a lot of them in my boat. Found a second job while I was there and made enough money to keep my horses fed and the few bills I have left paid.

Things must be improving. I got back the end of September and started the annoying, aggravating, frustrating process of applying for jobs again in any field slightly related to real estate. And of course everybody who IS employed has to tell you how to find a job...GRRRRRR.

Well, the time spent finally paid off. I found a job, where I want to be, and start tomorrow. It's a contract job and the money is okay but it's a start so I'm not complaining. It will buy me 8 months and if they like me I might get offered a full time position. I'll be able to get my stuff out of storage where it's been the last 1 1/2 years, Maybe it's true you need a job to find a job because I still have a contract with Yellowstone for this winter. I was planning on rehoming my horses while I was home and going back if I couldn't find a job.

God bless my family and all the friends I had who were there, and still are there for me, when I needed them. I have a lot of paying back to do, and so many people who I will be there for if they ever need ANYTHING. I will keep all my COTH buddies in my prayers. It's still tough out there and I don't think it's over yet.

But, if you can, think about a seasonal job. You won't make a lot of money, but you will meet some amazing people and it's a great way to clear away the cobwebs.

Default one foot in front of the other

I have been out of work for three years now, and have never felt so worthless in my life. Thank GOD I have a pension. Of course, it isn't enough, but it isn't far off. I have begun mystery shopping. It isn't enough to live on, and you have to watch how far you will go for one shop, but I just totaled up shopping for the month of October, and I made $600. I made $400 in July, and about $350 in August. I didn't work in September, because my mom got sick. I try to keep an eye on the gas I use in my guzzler, but haven't gotten it down to a fine art yet. And here in Missouri, gas is down to $3.09 a gallon.
    I also volunteer at my church as a secretary. They cannot afford to pay me, but it gets me out of bed, and makes me take a shower. Sometimes, I don't even want to do that....
    Another killer of threads

I'm glad i'm not the only one..... I'd be happy for a job at walmart at this point but even they haven't called :/

If you have a Starbucks in your area, you can apply online for them. They offer benefits to employees who work at least 20 hours a week after you have worked there for I think 3? or 6 months, and they will take people with no prior Barista experience. They also give raises every 6 months. Plus you get a free pound of coffee or tin of tea a week, and free drinks before, during breaks and lunch, and after your shift

I hope you all find jobs soon, it's tough out there Good luck everyone.