The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Saddle with Tree Points on Top of Panels?

I have an Albion Legend 5000 GP saddle that my young horse goes very well in. It has the front of the tree on top of the panels rather than built in to the flocking. I have my stirrups at dressage length and love this saddle. I don't know if the horse likes it because the tree is on top of the panels or not. The seat is not deep. I need a dressage saddle like it. The Legend 5000 dressage saddle (not the K2) has too much block and the flap is too straight to accomodate my long femur. Suggestions? I did find an 18" Legend K2 that could work, but hate to get back into the whole shipping saddles thing.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Talk to a saddler about custom blocks that will give your thigh more room. Half-blocks set high might be better for you. PM me if you want saddler recommendations.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Thanks Retro. I am considered by some to be the local saddle maven, but this one has me stumped. I've never met a horse this particular about a saddle. I don't want to go the Custom Saddlery route-don't care for the Solo-too deep. I was hoping an Albion expert might see my plea and come to the rescue.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Albion Brochure which lists all the options you might choose when fitting yourself & horse - I suspect the difficulty in NA is finding a stockist that has suitable demos to try ...

Hobson's Choice seems to have a good selection of used - must admit I'm not sure if this page was update the 10th month (Oct ) or the 4th month (April )

I've never met a horse this particular about a saddle
    Have you had various saddle reps out for demo fittings?
    Even if you prefer to buy used, this can be worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    Thanks Retro. I am considered by some to be the local saddle maven, but this one has me stumped. I've never met a horse this particular about a saddle. I don't want to go the Custom Saddlery route-don't care for the Solo-too deep. I was hoping an Albion expert might see my plea and come to the rescue.
    You misunderstand me. I am not recommending that you trade your saddle for a Custom (brand) saddle. I didn't mention Custom (brand) saddles at all ...

I am recommending that if the Legend 5000 basically works for you & your horse, except that your legs are cramped, that you simply replace the thigh blocks on it with custom-made blocks that fit your long legs better. I recommended half-blocks up high - above your knee - to give your legs more room.

Again, if you need recommendations on saddlers (i.e. not "just" fitters, but people who can sew & reconfigure & make custom thigh blocks) - PM me.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Thanks for your inputs. Retro, the flap on the Legend dressage saddle is not cut forward enough. It is too straight and even w/o blocks my knee would be over the front. Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Tree Points on Top of Panels".... I mean, some wacky saddles might be different, but as far as I know, all decent saddles are built so the panels are attached to the tree from below the tree and the seat above. That is how saddles are built.

If your horse goes well in Albion Legend 5000 GP, why don't you talk to an Albion fitter to see what might work for you? Most Albion saddles can be altered somehow to accommodate differences in riders. I got myself an Albion saddle with short flaps to accommodate my short legs...