The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Advertizing Pop-Ups

Am I the ONLY one totally annoyed with the Truck Pop-Ups? It's wonderful that they are spending advertizing dollars here, BUT everytime you switch a page or topic.....BOING = close EVERYTIME.... UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Am I the ONLY one totally annoyed with the Truck Pop-Ups? It's wonderful that they are spending advertizing dollars here, BUT everytime you switch a page or topic.....BOING = close EVERYTIME.... UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    I agree. I have absolutely NO problem with ads and I realize that they make this board available for everyone.

However,

these new pop up ads at the bottom of the screen are insane. They are impossible to close as at least one of them didn't seem to have a "close" button.

Even at other places with pop up ads they aren't as intrusive and usually if you close them a couple times you don't have to see them for the rest of your session.

I don't begrudge CoTH their ad revenue, but these ads are terrible and have actually kept me away form the boards on more than one occasion. I've stopped reading the board because the stupid ad kept getting in the way of what I was reading and what I was trying to respond.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is an active thread in the Help forum about the pop-up ads. You can find more information there, as well as adding your voice to the outcry. The ad developer has a link to that thread and has been monitoring it.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ttom-of-Screen

There, Mod 1 stated... "I can assure you that the main office has heard your feedback on this trial and is discussing it both internally and with the company serving the ads.

We obviously have to find ways to pay for hosting this site, but it doesn't make sense to use methods that make people not want to or unable to visit the site.

Thanks for your patience as we address your concerns.
    Mod 1"

I went to that thread and read through about 4 pages. Then I went and dowloaded and ad blocker. I'm not going to be able to click through the banner ads when I needed something from Dover or SmartPak any more, so there goes that revenue.

Someone let me know if you stop with the pop ups and I'll remove my ad blocker. But I'm not willing to see those ads every single time I reload every single page. Nope!

Imho, it is have pop ups/ads OR PAY to have the BB......And the pop ups have an easy X to close them.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Thank you for your response and info! I hope you understand we all appreciate these forums and hope SOONER than later this issue is resolved... like yesterday! :-))

I just installed the ad blocker linked in the other thread. Which is unfortunate because I do like to see ads for Smartpak, etc. But now I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Imho, it is have pop ups/ads OR PAY to have the BB......And the pop ups have an easy X to close them.
    Actually, the x is not that easy to see. And some of us do pay for the forum. I've let my premium subscription lapse, but if renewing it would get rid of the pop ups I'd do it in an instant. No way I'm going to renew it now, though.

Argh! So annoying! Arrrrgh!

I can tell you that I will NOT be buying a Ford truck. Their adverts have had the opposite impact than I suspect they had hoped.

OMG it is even worse since they did whatever they did with the website last night. It pops up on every single landing page, so when I go to reply here, I get it, when I get back to the regular forum, I get it, every single page. That is worse than before. I am in full agreement, I will NOT buy a Ford that is for sure... if I never see another Ford ad, it will be a happy day. COTH this is BAD, why can't we limit it somehow??

The pop up is getting worse and worse.

If it only popped when the page first opened, that would be acceptable. But I keep closing it, and it keeps popping. And stays there 'til I close it again. This is like the idiot game little kids in high chairs play.

EVEN MORE ANNOYING is that my back arrows no longer work. I have to go back to the top and click the forum I'm in to get back to the index page for that forum. BLEAH
    Last edited by ccoronios; Oct. 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: adding another annoyance
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I hate the new forum look and I also hate the pop ups. This is annoying.

Exactly what my problems with it are. thanks for typing it out for me! lol

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    If it only popped when the page first opened, that would be acceptable. But I keep closing it, and it keeps popping. And stays there 'til I close it again. This is like the idiot game little kids in high chairs play.

EVEN MORE ANNOYING is that my back arrows no longer work. I have to go back to the top and click the forum I'm in to get back to the index page for that forum. BLEAH
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I think they FIXED the poop up's? I didn't get any just now!! Now to FIX the back button!!!

Seems they fixed all the glitches.... T H A N K Y O U!!!!!!!

When I click the Post Reply button, it doesn't work, but I can do a Quick reply just fine... Anyone else having that issue? I'm going to post this in the Help Forum too.

Is there any way that we can keep all these non-related advertising threads from being started. It is the same one over and over again!!!

What is going on with this new look? Not liking it at all. I thought something was wrong with my computer...

I kinda like the new look. I'm a rebel. I do like the appreciate/don't appreciate options. That could get 'interesting" for certain threads.