The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question USEA Medal Program Question

I'm trying to figure out how this works. Do the qualifying scores have to come in one year and do they have to be with the same horse? Lastly, is there any reason to send in scores for the bronze and silver if one also has scores for the gold medal (in other words, does one have to get the medals in ascending order)? I never really thought about it but when I got a Blue Ribbon certificate in the mail today I thought I should look into the medal program.

No, if you have scores low enough for the gold medal then you would ONLY apply for the gold medal. The scores need to be for the qualifying year(so 2012) and it has to be with the same horse (I assume you are appling for horse medals... im not sure if there are rider medals)

Then it's completely different than the USDF program. There, where there are only rider medals, you can use scores from different years and earned with different horses. Maybe that's because the medals are not given for each level but require qualifying scores from multiple levels. The medals are to acknowledge and reward systematic improvement and advancement up the levels rather than rewarding achievement at each level.

Quinn: my question was for the rider medal, which I would assume would have the same criteria as the horse medal in terms of qualifying period, but you know what they say about making assumptions. . . .

It seems a bit strange to have both the Blue Ribbon program (based on placings) and the medal program (based on scores) require that scores/placings be earned in a competition year but maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with the USDF system.

Can anyone confirm that qualifying scores for the rider medals need to be earned in a competition year and with the same horse? Thanks.

General Requirements

■Beginning with results from February 2009 onward.
    ■An individual must have a current USEA Membership at the time scores are achieved. This includes the Beginner Novice level.
    ■A horse must be registered as required for the level at which it is competing. Horses competing at Beginner Novice must have at least a USEA Limited Horse Registration at the time scores are achieved.
    ■No cross-country jump penalties are permitted for a score to be used in fulfillment of earning a medal, and all three phases must be completed.
    ■The same score for on level may be applied toward the next level.
    ■Venue is defined by location of the event, not the competition. For example, to earn a medal that requires scores be obtained at three separate venues, an individual could not submit scores from three separate competitions all located at the Kentucky Horse Park.

Now, thats not exactly clear,but it does say starting in 2009 onward...so maybe that means its not based on the results in one year.

I always have understood it to mean a horse and rider combination.

I'm happy to say that my stallion qualified for his gold medal this year. It's quite an accomplishment and we came close for the last two years only to have a pesky rail when we didn't need it. So I am very pleased.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I think it may just be for the rider, because the certificate they send lists rider name only.

I also believe it's per competition year, but could be wrong. The program began in 2009.

Default mutliple years are okay

Quote Originally Posted by rthonor View Post
    General Requirements

■Beginning with results from February 2009 onward.

Now, thats not exactly clear,but it does say starting in 2009 onward...so maybe that means its not based on the results in one year.
    The results may be from multiple years and must be from three different venues.

Thanks all but I got the "official" version from the skeleton crew at the USEA today (bless her heart for being in the office). The medal program is really for the rider (although a qualifying horse can get a certificate) and, thus, can be earned with scores a) from more than one horse and b) gained over more than one year. For example, if I get two qualifying scores with horse "A" in 2010 and one qualifying score with horse "B" in 2011 then I have earned the medal at the level of the scores earned. Mystery solved.

I didn't realize that it could be earned on different horses. I wonder why it stops at the Preliminary level?

I think it stops at P because it is supposed to be an achievement/award/recognition for amateurs and most of us ride at P and below.

I was tickled to get a certificate in the mail a couple of weeks ago for my mare's completion of her BN events this summer. I didn't know it existed and since it wasn't a super great season I didn't think she'd qualify for anything. I thought it was a nice touch.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this discussion...I didn't know anything about it and now realize my daughter qualifies for the Gold medal!! Just need her to fill in the form and submit it! Thanks guys and congrats to all that made the Medals!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

wishnwell: I know--me too! I didn't know about this program and see that my young horse and I qualify for a silver! I just need to send in my form.

1 members found this post helpful.