The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Senior feed for not quite Senior horses...

I keep hearing of people feeding Senior (Triple Crown Senior) to their competition horses, even when said horse is 10 years old. Is this a common thing? The explanations I get is that it is higher in fiber and a more complete feed. Just stumps and intrigues me. I like Ultium for my show horses because I feel I can feed less amounts and still have a healthy, good weight, shiny horse with enough energy to do their jobs. I always saved the Senior feeds for my old guys who needed the extra fiber, etc. Just wondering what the popular opinion was!

For the most part, I am not a fan of Senior feeds... mainly because they are high in sugar, and you have to feed a lot (since they are meant to replace hay consumption)

That said... I LOVE TC Senior, especially for TBs. It is higher in fat, protein, fiber and a very low NSC (11% I believe.)
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    For the most part, I am not a fan of Senior feeds... mainly because they are high in sugar, and you have to feed a lot (since they are meant to replace hay consumption)

That said... I LOVE TC Senior, especially for TBs. It is higher in fat, protein, fiber and a very low NSC (11% I believe.)
    Exactly this! Its made mostly of beet pulp and I love it for my 12 year old TB and all TB's for that matter!

I know for some of the horses that I've worked with, they'll get a bit mixed in with some sort of non-senior, depending on grass/hay amounts, weather, etc.
    And I knew of one horse who wouldn't touch anything not senior, unless you mixed in a little sprinkle-bit of a picky eater
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

I know it's classified a "senior" feed but TC Senior is such great stuff that there's no reason why you can't feed it no matter what age the horse is. It's easily digestible and soaks easy for the ones that need help in the chewing department. High in fat low in NSC it's very popular for horses that are hard keepers. They keep their weight more easily on it while keeping them sane.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I love the TC Senior! During the summer months I use a performance feed, but during the winter we put all the horses, of every age, on the Senior feed to help them get through the winter.

Our her is a bunch of OTTBs and they love it. It is also a lot easier to digest if you have an OTTB that you are having digestive issues with or issues with absorbing the necessary minerals and nutrients from the feed!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

We feed TC Senior to a lot of racehorses that need extra weight, are injured and on stall rest, and/or coming back from surgery and had lost a lot of weight. It is wonderful and as the horses get back into heavier work, we start mixing in normal grain until they are working at a level that they can go back to all 'normal' grain. TC Senior is just wonderful! :-)

OK, that makes sense to me-that it is a complete feed that can be fed without hay/grass, which definitely has it's benefits especially if hay is lesser quality/no grass available. I have used it in the past for OTTBs as we gradually switched them to our feed, as well as a couple horses who recuperated from colic surgeries. And of course any elderly ones I cared for-my one old man has had teeth trouble and doesn't eat hay very well. TC Senior has kept him looking amazing and fat through the winters when grass is gone.

I guess what confuses me is it seems as if it would be pretty pricey to feed TC Senior as a complete feed (bag recommends 12lbs/day without hay, 6lbs/day with hay). I feed Ultium to my competition horses and it's higher in fat (12.45% vs 10%) and fiber (18.5% vs 17%). Ultium is lower in protein (11% vs 14%). I generally feed less Ultium, about 3-4lbs/day it seems.

Just curious, thanks for the replies!

I feed TC Senior to my "senior" horse and now to my not-so-old horse. They are 22 and 9.5, respectfully.

FWIW, I've never feed ANYBODY (dog and cats included in on this) what the manufacture recommends. I find that it's too much, 9 times out of 10, for my animals.

My old guy gets 2lbs/daily (divided into two meals) plus a lot of hay - I'm thinking like 25lbs maybe? The younger one just switched over to TC Senior, for ease-ability, and he's currently on 1/2lb/day - I think. It may less then that, I can't remember. Anyways, he gets about 20lbs of hay as well.

I LOVE TC Senior. It's a fabulous feed and has really kept the weight on my IR horse nicely (he was of the scrawny IR variety, not the morbidly obese variety). I'm hoping it'll work out okay for my chunky monkey as well ... the alfalfa pellets, while cheaper, were more of a pain.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

My guy gets senior feed. He's almost 14 years old. He's been on it since his colic surgery a little over 3 years ago. It's more easily digested and he does very well on it. He does get a small handful of sweet feed mixed in since he loves it so much.