The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Uterine Ablation(sp)?

Don't know if this has been discussed in the past or even by me Please forgive me!

I am anemic(sp). Wasn't really sure what it was related to, util Doc and me had discussion on "regular" periods. Apparently I am not Normal.(kinda knew that before, but not in this regard). Anywho, somehow frying out my insides doesn't appeal to me!!!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

BEST thing I did!! Outpatient in the early morning and out by 10. No cramping -- nothing. Didn't have a period at all for four years and when it did come back, it was soooo light. A few days and only a panty liner needed.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I wonder how much time I would have to be off work? I have an extemely physical job to say the least. Also, I have kind of the world's crappiest insurance.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I think we had this topic (or in related form) a few OT days ago.

I learned a lot of stuff!

many hugs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I'm assuming you talked to your doctor about not wanting to get pregnant ever in the future and that it isn't a form of birth control? Try Googling "endometrial ablation" or "Novasure" if you want to do more research.

I had it done in May, no bleeding since, super easy procedure, definitely recommend for the right situation.

Default NovaSure

My husband is the NE director for Hologic which owns NovaSure. I'm having one scheduled (go in for biopsy nov 9th) very soon. Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to PM.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Quote Originally Posted by HalfArabian View Post
    I wonder how much time I would have to be off work? I have an extemely physical job to say the least. Also, I have kind of the world's crappiest insurance.
    I was riding the next day after mine.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

I have talked to my primary doc, but need to have done thru the Ob./Gyn. My main concern is how much down time?
    (and how much out of pocket?)

Everyone I've spoken to has been up and back to normal the day after. As for insurance, some doctors will do it in office and it should just cost you a co-pay. My GYN doesn't offer in office anesthesia so I'm going to a surgery center. I'm a wuss and prefer to be put under.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

I had it about five years ago. No big deal for me..same day surgery, in the OR for a half hour or so, if that, didn't ride the next day. That was the only thing I even changed because of the procedure.

I had gone through menopause already, and suddenly had heavy bleeding. Scared me enough to go to the ER.

Dr. recommended the ablation, and I've been fine ever since.

Had it done on a Friday and back to work like normal Monday.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Had one three years ago when I was 45. I had very heavy periods and doctor recommended it as a way to manage them. I had outpatient, and did not have any "time off." I went to bed early the night it was done and up with normal activity levels the following day. That said, I didn't have a job that involved heavy lifting, etc.

My doctor told me she had an "85% success rate" which I assumed meant that 85% of her patients stopped having periods. Mine has never come back and I have to say I'm a VERY happy camper.

Ablation is not a birth control, though, so if you are still able to get pregnant, you need to use other forms of bc (my tubes are tied, so it's not an issue). I have heard that there are other issues (and what exactly is going on with the 15% who are unsuccessful??), so I would continue to research before committing.

I had it done and it helped, some, but I was still spotting and cramping and had adenomyosis where uterine tissue grows into the muscle wall and can cause severe cramping/discomfort. So I had a laparascopic hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) done robotically which was no big deal. Though, I was somewhat perturbed that for the next 18 months, I continued to have the same severe cramping I had before (from my breast bone down to my pelvis and into my lower back) caused, no doubt, from prostaglandins/hormones. I thought having my uterus out (transmission dropped ) would take care of that, but it didn't, at least, not at first. But over time, the symptoms have gradually abated though they do seem to be worse in warmer weather for whatever reason. Maybe I go anestrus during the winter months like horses. Anywho, I DO NOT miss the mess of the monthly deal, AT ALL! I don't think I know anyone who regretted having endometrial ablation done even if they ultimately went on to have a hysterectomy done. Pretty easy peasy; not alot of discomfort; quick recovery time. Good luck.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

My mother had it twice. The first time she was still having bleeding, but much better as before she was beyond weak and I was worried about her. I looked into it for me and and gave her the info to discuss with her OBGYN. She went back a second time for it to end her period forever. She was super pleased with the results and I cant wait for when they let me get it as I am "too young" or under 35 without kids. I have no cycles through hormones, but I would like to cut out the pill and just not have a cycle.

I guess because she had it twice she was the 15%? The doctor said it was the first that the bleeding hadnt stopped.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I also had one about 5 or 6 years. I love it! No periods since, and I think I had mine on a Friday and back to normal stuff (feeding, mucking, etc) the following day.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I guess I was one of the 15% (I'm lucky that way.). First I got an infection from the procedure and felt pretty crappy for almost 3 weeks. Not can't function crappy, but crappy nonetheless. After a year my periods came back with a vengence and with the worst cramps I had EVER had.

I had a laproscipic hysterectomy a year ago and that has been awesome!! With that I was down for about a week and couldn't ride for a month (or lift anything over 10 lbs). I'm pretty sure I was on my horse on the 30th day and never missed a beat from there.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I'm a OB/GYN nurse, the doc I work for does ablations all the time with great results. She does them in the operating room with the patient under anethesia, but many physicians do them in the office. They are non-invasive procedures that really change people's lives.

The best case scenerio is that you'll never bleed again, but realistic the goal is to have manageable periods.

As someone previously mentioned, this is not something you want to do if you desire to still have children. And, yes, you can still get pregnant after an ablation, so don't go thinking its a form a birth control.

What you need to have done first is a pap, then ultrasound, and a endometrial biopsy. If all these tests are negative, its wise to start the patient on 100mg of progesterone at least 2 weeks prior to the procedure to help thin the uterine lining which helps the effectiveness of the procedure.
    Most patients wake up after the procedure feeling like it never happened; then you have the rare few that are in a good amount of pain. You can return to work about 2 days after. You should refrain from anything in the vagina for a month, and then have your post-op visit to make sure everything is healed and ok to resume your normal activities.

There are a few companies that manufacture the materials for these ablations; each doc has their own preference for their own reasons. My doc prefers to use Thermachoice.

If unmanageable bleeding controls your life (or causes other health problems like your anemia), and you no longer wish to conceive, an ablation is right up your alley!

I had it done at 14. I had stage 4 endometriosis, damage to my uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes and implants as far away as my diaphragm. I had also been on chemo for a few years at that point, so reproductively I was super fried. It was the best thing I've ever done and I didn't have any sort of bleeding again for almost 4 years at which time I started on the Mirena IUD. It has been over a decade since I've had any bleeding whatsoever.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    She was super pleased with the results and I cant wait for when they let me get it as I am "too young" or under 35 without kids. I have no cycles through hormones, but I would like to cut out the pill and just not have a cycle.
    Had it done at age 25 and child free.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post

I have heard that there are other issues (and what exactly is going on with the 15% who are unsuccessful??), so I would continue to research before committing.
    Usually the issue is fibroids in the uterus.