The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Turnout sheets with mesh lining?

I scored a great quality turnout sheet for one of my horses that's waterproof and there's a mesh lining (looks kind of like fishnet stockings) that lines the entire sheet, and then satin like on the shoulders. Unfortunately, the brand seems to be no longer in business (Miller's Everest?)
    I'd love to buy more with this mesh lining.
    Links are always appreciated
    TIA!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse's Pessoa Summit sheet has the nice mesh lining. I'm not sure if the same is true from their other turnouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

My horse wears this: http://www.smithbrothers.com/smith-b...-24262/cn/700/

I love it. Keeping him cozy and dry during this storm and fits like a glove!

He also has a back up Riders International T/O sheet with mesh lining. Also fits well and has held up.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Love them and worth the extra cost. It with the right brand will whisk the moisture away from the hair/skin.

I had one, not sure of the brand and I just sold it It came from usedhorseblankets.com, but I'm not sure if they are still around. It was great though, if I find a link I'll share.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I scored a great quality turnout sheet for one of my horses that's waterproof and there's a mesh lining (looks kind of like fishnet stockings) that lines the entire sheet, and then satin like on the shoulders. Unfortunately, the brand seems to be no longer in business (Miller's Everest?)
    TIA!
    YOU LUCKY DUCK!!!!! You just stumpled upon my GREATEST horse purchase ever. I have had my Everest sheet for 15 (yes, 15) seasons. It has been on my appy mare who loves to use trees and shrubs to put air vents in all her blankets. There are two small (i.e. 1" tears in this sheet) and other than the fact that it's a purplish and tanish plaid (was navy and hunter plaid) it is in FANTASTIC shape. The $99 i spent on it all those years ago were well worth it. It's been my longest lasting horsey item. Please tell me where you found this and if there are any more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    TIA!
    Yes! I had the same Miller's sheet. I LOVED that thing. I have not found anything comparable, but I am using McAlister turnouts which at least fit the same. No mesh lining though.

Dover's Riders International turnout sheets have the mesh lining. My pony's been abusing his for over 5 years now and it's still holding up great! I love the breathability of the mesh lining.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by fatappy View Post
    YOU LUCKY DUCK!!!!! You just stumpled upon my GREATEST horse purchase ever. I have had my Everest sheet for 15 (yes, 15) seasons. It has been on my appy mare who loves to use trees and shrubs to put air vents in all her blankets. There are two small (i.e. 1" tears in this sheet) and other than the fact that it's a purplish and tanish plaid (was navy and hunter plaid) it is in FANTASTIC shape. The $99 i spent on it all those years ago were well worth it. It's been my longest lasting horsey item. Please tell me where you found this and if there are any more!!!
    Yuhhuh, me, too. Those Everest things were great.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

As others have said, Rider's International Supreme has the mesh lining.

I have Pessoa sheets with a mesh lining that are nice -- no idea if the new ones are still made that way as these are a couple of years old. I also have a Masta sheet with a mesh lining that I like quite well. The mesh on the Masta is smaller, so it doesn't seem to get all the hair embedded in it so bad. The Pessoa has little openings where you can get the hair balls out from between the lining and the outer shell -- those little balls of fur after washing especially make great toys for my Jack Russell!

One of my RI sheets has the mesh but another one does not. I don't know if this is a difference in when they were purchased or the line but I too adore the mesh lining.

I have had exactly one sheet in the past with the mesh lining. Hated it. It was fine until my horse started to shed a little bit and then all the hair got between the mesh lining and the outside layer. It was a mess.

The new smart pak sheet with the 10 yr guarentee has a mesh lining and so far I love the sheet

My Hug turnout sheet from Dover has the mesh lining as well. (But I don't think it has the nifty little slits that the Pessoa has...)

Link: http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%3...A/#ProductTabs
    Last edited by bdj; Oct. 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: adding the link

I have an everest, I love, love, LOVE it. I fear the day I can no longer patch it anymore, its pretty darn old.

WeatherBeeta Orican is mesh-lined. Some of the Rambo sheets are too.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Big D turnout from SmartPak has a mesh lining. The neck is cut a little forward (not actually high neck) so it doesn't pull on the withers.

I passed on SmartPak and Rambo because I believe they had nylon lining according to the description. My mare does best with mesh so she doesn't heat up too much.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    I have had exactly one sheet in the past with the mesh lining. Hated it. It was fine until my horse started to shed a little bit and then all the hair got between the mesh lining and the outside layer. It was a mess.
    I agree with Simbalism. I've had quite a few of the mesh lined sheets and I can't stand when it gets to shedding season and there is suddenly 10 lb of hair trapped in between the mesh and the outside layer. I'm always surprised by how much weight that can add to a sheet.

To those of you who love the mesh lining......why do you like it more than other lining types? I don't dislike it for any reason other than the propensity to trap hair, but I've always preferred a smooth lining on my horses' sheets and blankets. I'm curious if there's another reason to like the mesh?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    To those of you who love the mesh lining......why do you like it more than other lining types?
    I think it's more breathable. It's especially useful for in between weather or with a horse that runs warm. My mare runs warm so she needs mesh.

With a nylon lining, all the heat is just trapped.

I've never had an issue with too much hair building up. Maybe I just didn't notice or don't use it much during shedding season.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!