The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is using hardwood stove pellets okay?

I have about 15bags of Southern States hardwood stove pellets and I'm out of my horse shaving/pellets.

Right now I've moved my pony out of her reg. stall because it's half flooded and she's now in the middle stall which is a bit higher. It's now has a several inchs of water in the front corner (it's a 10x14) and it's still raining. My mare's stall is still dry with no water so she's okay for now. The water is coming up from underneath so there's not much stopping it.

I'm wondering if it's okay to use the hardwood stove pellets for the pony's stall? That way I can keep her out of the water longer. I would move her into my mare's stall since they are best buds and the stall is 10x18 but my mare is moody because she has been in the stall for so long so I just don't want to chance it.

I can't put them outside at this point as my pasture has trees and it's windy. Besides most of it's a foot underwater also. They are safer inside (cinderblock barn).

I think I've heard that walnut products are poisonous for horses. No personal info, because we don't have walnuts where I live.

If you can be sure that there are no poisonous wood products, they should be safe.

Anecdotal info only, I have heard of many people that have used stove pellets with no problems.

Apparently, black walnut is not a common wood to be used for stove pellets...it is an expensive hardwood that isn't prevalent in many areas where pellets are made.

Hopefully this will bump up for others with experience...you might be able to get more details from SS directly to confirm.

I used them a lot when I boarded my gelding 2 years ago. Much cheaper than something with a horse head on the package!

Theoretical risks exist IF the hardwood contains black walnut.

So I wouldn't use them routinely--just not worth it. BUT, in an emergency if it meant the difference between a miserable horse and a comfortable horse, I would use them. Be safe! Good luck!
    Click here before you buy.

To add to what Deltawave said, make sure your pellets do not contain any type of fuel to help them burn. Most do not but there are some that do.

I have used stove pellets for bedding without issue - but I did read the packaging very carefully - no additives, and I think the local ones here might actually be pine (if I remember right).

My local Safeway grocery store even carries them in the winter (and best price around) - hoping that they start stocking them soon. And they always seem to have damaged bags for 50% off, I am always snapping those up! (I board - and use the pellets as extra bedding).

Last cheapshit barn that did not pay their bills used to get the pellets from Home Depot and bed the stalls. They work just fine.

They don't smell as good as the all pine ones and they made be a microscropic tad less absorbent-- a quality of the wood itself. But otherwise, I don't think there's a big difference.

I was sold some to use as my cat's litter and there's not perceptible difference, less the piney freshness.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've been using wood stove pellets for bedding for years without issue. The Lignetics factory is nearby and I asked them the difference. They said they use softer woods in the bedding, so it breaks down quicker. Other than that, zero difference...except you can get the wood stove pellets for about $2 less per bag...

I've used the wood stove pellets for years. I've called the manufacture of the brand I buy and they said pine or other soft woods. They never use a hardwood because it also smokes too much when used in a hardwood pellet stove.

I've also been really lucky that none of my horses ever eat them!

If you are using hardwood pellets, there is the risk (probably theoretical if the pellets come from areas where black walnut is not prevalent) of exposure to this known-to-be-toxic substance. And the risk is laminitis, not something mild or trivial. Therefore I don't use them and wouldn't, no matter what a manufacturer told me short of the manufacturer GUARANTEEING there was no black walnut. And good luck with that! Two bucks a bag vs. a life-threatening preventable disease--nope.

But in the OP's case if they were lying around and I could use them in a pinch to keep my horses from standing in water/muck for a couple of days, I'd go for it.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

What deltawave said. We sell two kinds of wood pellets for stoves at my store - hardwood and softwood. NO WAY would I use the hardwood pellets for bedding; so not worth the risk of laminitis.