The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decent safety vest?

I'm not an eventer, but I started conditioning rides for me and my horse with an eventer at my barn while she brings along a new horse. Well I had my first SPUD on Friday (sudden precipitous unscheduled dismount ) whilst galloping up a hill in two point. So I'm thinking if I'm going to do this I need a safety vest because boy I landed hard . Of course I don't know the first thing about buying one so I just went to VTO and figured I'd order http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/SAFETY/TEBPV.htm

Is this a good middle of the road vest?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

This is discussed a lot. Basically, every vest on the market has people that love it and people that don't. So, go with whatever is comfortable for you. The one downside of the Tipperary is it does not have a safety rating thingy (the word is eluding me.) IIRC, it is because one could, in theory, get punctured between the panels, so it won't pass. That said, a heck of a lot of us wear that vest and aren't particularly worried about it.

Thank you for the direction, I appreciate it.

Paula

the material on the tipp isn't thick enough for certification, i believe, and it doesn't have protection behind the zipper and laces. it is a lot more comfortable than most of the certified ones though.

It sounds good enough for my purposes then. I'm just getting Fella in shape for other activities like dressage, I am not interested (at this point) in competing as an eventer. The only fences we'd be taking would be fallen logs and similar obstacles in competitive trail.

Paula

If you're just looking for a "decent"/"middle of the road" vest, you can find something for wayyyy cheaper than a Tipp! Intec makes a vest that's a lot like the Tipp design for half the price: http://www.doversaddlery.com/intec%C...st/p/X1-40383/. They also make a BETA level 3 vest at a very affordable $60: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ladies'...r*/p/X1-40336/.

I wouldn't be too put off by the more solid-looking vests. I started out in a Tipp because I thought the other vests looked horribly restricting and uncomfortable. However, I recently bought the new CO Kontakt 5 vest (http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ch...5494C3736.aspx) and I loooooooooooove it. I don't even notice it when I'm riding!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

But what explains the massive price difference? I have a Charles Owens helmet -I realized that the massive price difference was due to the fact that I had an oval head with lots of hair so it caters to that. What's the difference between the $60 and the $240?

Paula

I have a casel equi vest in the short back version so i can ride in a western saddle if i choose and have no saddle interference. Had It for 3 yrs Riding in it 3-4 times a week and still looks brand new I wash it in the shower monthly and drys like a charm Also had. CEll phone pockets added to front of it. Love love love it. Well worth the $$. And i purchased the mesh shirt for summer riding as well.

I think in most cases the difference is marketing and in a few cases the difference is type of material. People will almost always pay more to have the brand that the famous people are wearing.

Oh, Pletchersmom, I hadn't thought of that either. I ride in an endurance saddle so the cantle is quite high. The tips would be too long in the back I imagine. Thanks for the referral I'll look at the Casel.

Paula

Try some on and buy the one that is most comfortable. If you're wearing it voluntarily (as opposed to it being mandatory) then you will soon talk yourself out of it if you hate your vest.
    Click here before you buy.

I rode in one once about 2 years ago when I was trying out an OTTB pony horse. The track policy required it. I couldn't sit up because of the long back. But that was once. I dunno -I think one good SPUD may have gotten me over any discomfort it might cause. I'll try some on, maybe Stablemates has some to try out.

Paula

make sure it fits pretty snug so it won't move, and that you can raise your arms reasonably without the vest riding up to your ears. as far as the length of the back, when you sit in the saddle the end of the vest should be about 3 fingers above the cantle to avoid interference.

I have a Tipperary--second one I have owned. I really like them. I have noticed that many other vests seem much shorter which is one reason I like my Tipp. I don't understand why they would make shorter ones that don't cover the . . . CRAP!!

GOT A LEAK--DAMN STORM!! HOPE THIS RAIN STOPS SOON!!

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a vest that doesn't cover as much area as possible. Don't know why you would make one that doesn't have full coverage.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a casel equi and I love it. I also had a Rodney Powell before it. I liked the RP, it was completely custom made for me (and $200) but as I lost a pretty significant amount of weight it was too big and I had to replace it. The Casel was on sale at an event and it has been great.

You really need to try them on -- if it rides up when you are in the saddle it will be very uncomfortable, and then you will find yourself not wearing it.
    Some of them, for example, allow you to get different sizes front and back, or do other minor customizations that can really help it fit better.
    I highly doubt that there is a significant safety difference, especially for the type of riding/falling you are likely to do (no high speed rotational falls at Rolex, for example), between a super expensive one and a less expensive one.

Best to go somewhere where there is both a knowledgeable salesperson and a number of different brands. I don't know where you are in PA, but Bit of Britain would be good choice....
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Thanks, Asterix (BTW as in Asterix adventures? I loved those as a kid). I will try them on in RL. I am right over the MD border so the closest place would be Stablemates in Mt Airy, MD.

Paula

Phoenix Performance (manufacturer of the Tipperary line) has "certified" vests, also vests which fit shorter/wider through the rib & back - give them a call, they are very pleasant to talk with & may have some "seconds" (superficial flaws that don't affect performance) or customs that were never picked up.

When the kid needed a vest & none of the local shops has anything that fit, Phoenix did a fitting over the phone, pulled vests out of the warehouse & measured actual vests, & shipped the vest out the next day

Obv so much is dependent on what the stores near you carry.

any rec'ds when purchasing can *only* to be done online, say because either the tack store doesn't carry vests, know how to fit them or only has one brand/style? This is only slightly self-serving (& not a hijack!) as I too need a new vest
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Yes, Paula, that Asterix! Not too well known in this country but I was a big fan as a kid too...
    As for buying remotely, your best bet is going to be working with a retailer who is knowlegeable and can help you with measurements and so on. I wouldn't just buy online. I'd call or email someplace with great customer service, and have them help you figure out which brand/combo of sizes works for your shape and size. I have not worked with Bit of Britain this way as we can usually do this sort of thing at events (tack trailers with lots of vests and good sales reps), but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see if there is someone who can help you this way. Different brands work better for different body types...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother