The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crate? Thundershirt?

How does one deal with the husband who is scared of storms? This one is driving me crazy! He got the day off work today. I didn't, as I provide support to people in California, but I'm allowed to work from home. Hubby keeps popping in, freaked out about totally minor things because he's so wound up about the storm.

I called the barn to check on the horses. They said it's raining there and everything is fine. Yup, I figured as much.

Should we make a litter pan in the garage for the dogs? Uh, no, I don't think they know how to use a litter pan. They'll be fine.

OMG! One of the dogs just ran into the back yard with a tennis ball. He'll be fine. He won't melt in the rain. I'm sure he'll come in when nobody else joins him and he realizes it's wet and boring in the backyard.

Should we take the air conditioners out of the window? Um, yeah, that would have been a good idea YESTERDAY, but I think they'll be fine where they are for now.

I called the barn again. She said the power flickered there. Yup, not surprising in a storm.

I moved the car across the street in case the air conditioner falls out of the window and lands in the driveway. OK dear, whatever keeps you busy.

I'm going to make a big pot of spaghetti in case we lose power OK dear. Would you mind moving some of the stuff that's already cooked into the freezer when you put the spaghetti away?

I called the barn again. A tree fell down in the pasture, but the barn's ok. Yup, I figured. There are trees in the pasture, but none near the barn.

I just checked my chainsaw. It's working! Yup, I noticed. So did my customer in California.

I just called the barn again. She says the dogs are barking. Really, dogs barking when things are blowing around. Imagine that!

Sigh

a pacifer?

a whole bottle of rum so he passes out?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm no help since I'm not married. However, if I had a spouse who called the barn/check up on my horses, I'd give him a kiss and say thank you

Hope you get some other feedback!
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

Do you have any valium or xanax lying around? I can kind of sympathize with him. Big storms make me hyper too. I'd really be freaking with all the publicity this one is getting.

Wait, he keeps calling the barn??? OK, calling once is one thing, but calling multiple times??? Umm, he's really annoying SOMEONE over there.....
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

He's called the barn two more times since my last post. The first time the barn owner had just lost power. The second time he got her in the middle of trying to get her generator going. I think I hear him on the phone with her a third time.

Fortunately, he's the one who figured out how to wire the well pump to the generator, so she cuts him a lot of slack.

Bless his heart. I can get a little worked up with storm prep as well.

A cocktail perhaps?

And, oh good! ,he can call the barn in the guise of checking to see if they need advice. That's great!

Maybe try some ace next time before the next storm, or some calm & cool if he's not getting too worked up
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Make a big blender full of margaritas or something quickly while you still have power. Serve that and nachos with lots of toasts, and he'll be snoozing soon.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'd send him on over to the barn so he can be helpful - let him get the generator going and haul some water bucket. He'll also be out of your hair and will stop calling her.

It is very nice when they are worried and considerate and useful. Just worried and fretting is not.

Hubby calmed down tremendously when we finally did lose power. In fact, he lay down on the couch and started to read a book by flashlight. Um, honey, you know that generator we own?

After hanging out with a few too many biologists, I realized he can be compared to an under stimulated immune system. With nothing to do, he starts flipping out over peanuts. Give him a few tape worms and bacteria to worry about and mellows out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Listen, my last guy's house was falling down around him. Although handsome, smart, and good company, he could NEVER do anything around the house, or even consider getting it fixed. His place was on the water, and even ahead of storms he wouldn't do any preparation, including this week for Sandy.

The toilet ran for the last two years we were together, and you'd have to reach down and turn off the water underneath each time you used it. In the one bathroom we shared. Could be worse!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Both? That's an image to file away for another rainy day!

But it is cute and sweet that he is so concerned about the critters and being prepared. I can see how the volume of concern could get a little annoying, though
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

I suggest you don't move anywhere that has long term blizzards or something else where you are trapped long enough to get cabin fever, because it might be a little rough after the first week. Don't forget to restock the booze and comfort food as soon as the stores open. At least he's useful and handy, because it sucks when they aren't. These storms are scary to live through aren't they? Everyone stay safe.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White