The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone use gabapentin for arthritis in their dog?

Vet added gabapentin to Shadow's rimadyl and tramadol today, for his arthritis.

Any experiences with it? I am not really concerned with long-term side effects as it is looking like we will be losing him before February.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Other than having the potential to cause drowsiness gabapentin is what I call a "friendly" drug. Very few side effects, can be safely given with many other medications. I've used it a lot for chronic pain management and been happy with how it worked for patients

I take gabapentin and I was worried about side effects and my dr said that there are really none to worry about. I have been on it for almost a year.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Whiskey has been on a gabapentin/tramadol regime since her hip surgery. I like to give it to her at night because it knocks her a** OUT! (a good thing when I'm trying to sleep at night and she wants attention)

Ergo, gabapentin is my friend. :-) It didn't appear to have any side effects other than the drowsiness and she's done really well on it.
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

where is the arthritis? Some joints respond well to IA polyglycan, or even IM. gabapentin can work great for some dogs, and have little results with others...however very few adverse reactions so certainly worth a try!

Squish, Shadow is in the final stages of hip degeneration. I will be surprised if he makes it to New Year's. All we're looking for right now is pain relief. So far, it hasn't seemed to make much different in combination with the tramadol and rimadyl, but the vet says it takes a while to get into their system.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

My guy is on it + tramadol for post op pain management and has been on it in the past a few times. Aside from making him a little more lethargic, I've not seen any issues with it. When he's on it, he's getting dosed every 8 hours.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup isn't doing well. I hope you can enjoy your last bits of time with him.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My husband takes it for chronic back pain from three spinal surgeries. He's only been on it for a couple of months...but it has made a big difference in his life. It is a drug that is safe for long term use. As others have said, drowsiness is the biggest side effect (which comes in handy at bedtime for him.)

I have no experience with the drug with my animals...but after seeing how it has helped Mr. EquusArtist, I wouldn't hesitate using it for them.

Good luck with your pup and I hope you find a mix of meds that make him comfortable.