The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any new runners (or C25K)?

Since I've turned 30, I've suddenly gained ten pounds and I feel like my overall cardiovascular health has gone downhill since I became unemployed and started sitting around all the time. I also lost my dad to a heart attack this summer. So, I downloaded Couch-2-5k and have started running. It actually has been fairly enjoyable so far, since I have a gorgeous park near my house to run in, and listen to Pandora, and have cool new shoes. But now it's cold and rainy and stormy and I have a shin splint and feel no motivation to run... I've done the first two weeks, but will probably have to repeat a day or two now since I've taken a couple days off...

Anyone else getting started in running or do C25K? I am resolved to stick with it, especially since I really do feel pretty good when I'm done with a run!

I just started C25K! I'm just starting my third week. I got an app for my phone and I love it! The app really helps me, I love how it tells me when to change my paces and how it tells me what my last pace was. I'm almost 30, and about 30 lbs overweight :-(. I'm also struggling with similar things as you. It's dark by the time I get off work, and it's dark in the morning before work, so I'm usually running in the dark in the early evening. I have reflective gear and lights for myself and the dogs, but I also live in a tiny town and we only have a few street lights and safe places to run so I find myself running up and down the same streets repeatedly. I did just buy some new running accessories on my last pay day too, to keep me excited.
    I signed up for my first 5k in Nov. I'm not going to be able to run the whole thing, but I figured that I had to start somewhere.
    If you need a motivational buddy let me know!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I used the program for about 3 weeks this summer and loved it! Unfortunately I ended up falling off my horse just as I was really getting into it. One month in bed, and several of physiotherapy later I'm about ready to start again...except this weather sucks.
    Unfortunately from sitting around doing nothing I'm even less fit than before, so that's not helping the motivation to start again. I really just need a kick in the butt though, I love running, I just wish it didn't hurt so much these days.

I teach a cardiovascular endurance class at my gym, mainly overweight middle aged non-runners, and we did a C25K-style program for 8 weeks that culminated in running their first 5k last month. It was so much fun, and so inspiring to see everyone going beyond their normal limits to reach a goal.

I am a new runner..... well I have been running on and off for the past year, but I have had several cases of bad shin splints. I am going to get new sneakers (the ones I have are from when I started running last October). I also have been doing similar style to the Couch to 5K "training" but way slower -- only two or three minutes of run and do that for about a week then add another minute... its annoying because I LOVE running. my body just doesn't LOVE it.

I was a new runner a year ago! I did C25k in order to get my then 9-year old and myself to run a 5k last October (we both finished that one, and we ran it again this fall).

I ran my first half marathon in May, second in September.

Training for my first marathon mid-December. It can be addictive.

I love c25k. I did it last year, and now I run regularly, it is pretty amazing how effective it is!
    Impossible is nothing.

I started C25K in January and have done two 5ks this year and I'm now training for a half marathon.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    I was a new runner a year ago! I did C25k in order to get my then 9-year old and myself to run a 5k last October (we both finished that one, and we ran it again this fall).

I ran my first half marathon in May, second in September.

Training for my first marathon mid-December. It can be addictive.
    RR...you sound like me! I started running last October. Built to 3 miles by Thanksgiving, ran a half marathon in late February and ran another in mid April. I ran a 10K this past weekend, am running another half this coming weekend, and am contemplating a full marathon in January.

I'll be honest, though...I don't LOVE to run. I do, however, LOVE competition, goal setting, and shattering goals. That's why I compete. I am by no means fast, or speedy, or in any way close to earning any sort of prize. I love the challenge, and getting a medal and a tech shirt at the end of a half marathon is pretty sweet, too!

I've been fortunate that I've stayed away from shin splints over the past year. I did, however, have a HORRIBLE issue with them about 6 months prior to my foray into running. The BEST advice I can give with regards to shin splints is that you cannot run through them. You MUST rest and give your legs time to heal, and then gradually add miles. Once you're healed, you cannot do enough stretching. Stretch those calves ALL the time. I also found that foam rolling the fronts of my shins feels heavenly after a run, and it probably is good prevention as well.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I ran my first 5k over the summer. I have always liked running, but only a mile or two, or intervals on my treadmill. I never felt I had the endurance or desire of a "distance" runner, until I completed that first 5k. I did it in 33 minutes and since then I have been hooked.

What changed for me was when I got "stronger" at it, and realized I really CAN run pretty long and far. The feeling of strength and pushing myself is what had me hooked. I have fallen off the wagon a bit but will start again soon. (post hurricane!) I remember running my neighborhood "loop" (1.5 miles) a few weeks after the 5k and over halfway into it, thinking "I'm not even tired - I feel strong, like I can just keep running and running". That feeling is addictive for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I started C25K in the spring and reached 3 miles at the start of summer. Then, when the weather got too hot, I stopped. I think I enjoyed working towards the goal more than reaching it.

I don't really like running, but I like having done it, if that makes sense. I feel great afterwards and am proud of myself, but don't enjoy it much.

The program is great. It builds you up gradually and after completing the 5K, your breathing returns to normal in just a few minutes. I expected to be half dead at the end but recovered quickly. I'm determined to start again (probably on a treadmill) to get use out of my $85 running shoes!

Timely thread! I was a runner most of my life, but past year became chained to a desk many hours at job. Turning into flab was so stressful but couldn't get myself out of that pattern. Finally decided to try the C25K program. At first it seemed like a let down, the workouts too easy, after all I'd been a RUNNER before!

But now I think it was the best thing I could have decided to do, at that time, in the shape I was in. I only have 2 weeks to go - have a 5K race on the Sat after Thanksgiving. I didn't expect more from the C25K program other than to get me doing exercise regularly 3 x a week. But its really done a great job on me! I feel that "bounce" coming back, it has me walking in public with a bit of a strut in my stride - feeling like, yes, I am fit, thank you very much is a neat feeling at 46 yo!

So anyone thinking about it, go for it. And don't get dismayed if you fall off the schedule - took me 3 times gonig back to the start to really get committed. Worth it!

I started Cto5K beginning of July. As a teen, I was a ballet dancer and rode a LOT of horses daily. As a result, I was pretty fit Once I got pregnant 10 years ago, I quit most forms of exercise with the exception of riding once in a blue moon, so put on the pounds. Even back when I was a dancer, I was NOT a runner. I'd go out and try to hit the ground running, and burned out pretty quickly.

I started the program 3 times and quit by week 3 because that was when things started to get HARD for me. In July, I went ahead and signed up for a 5k on Labor day so I HAD to push through and do it. I finished the program, ran every step of the 5k, and now have moved on to the Insanity exercise program. I have no idea how many lbs I've lost, but I'm down 2 pant sizes (was in my former pant size for the last 12 years)! Super exciting, I feel GREAT! I haven't run in nearly 8 weeks because I've been doing the Insanity program, but the other night I decided to head out ... 2 miles (HILLY ones), 30 minutes, and I barely raised my heart rate. Insanity has turned me into a BEAST! My cardio health is probably ... no, DEFINITELY the best it's ever been. I hope to do a full marathon in the future; probably not this year, but next year for sure!

2 members found this post helpful.

does anyone notice that their riding boots are harder (or maybe for you they are easier?) than running shoes? When I do the barn I wear my paddock boots and I'll be darned if they don't bother my ankles more than my sneakers!

I generally am more comfortable in my paddock boots than any other boots I have, but I am getting spoiled by my new running shoes. They're so comfy and light. But I did wear my warm paddock boots to agility a couple weeks ago and really wrenched my ankle trying to run in them...