The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF suspensions

Can horses still compete while on the USEF suspension list? I noticed one that was competed at Fair Hill with the suspension start date being 10/18 and since they are updated nightly, it was defintely still suspended during the show. Can someone tell me how this works?

Maybe because FEI rules trump USEF? I really don't know, just hazarding a guess. I know FHI is USEF recognized, but the show runs under FEI rules and officials so...
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Usually the FEI honors FN suspensions.

Do you know what the suspension was for?

The FEI might respond differently to "automatic" suspensions for non- payment, vs. suspensions based on other violations.

Did the suspension list an "end date"?

If it was an automatic suspension, without a hearing or agreement, it is also possible that the FEI/organizers were not aware of the impending suspension when thay accepted the entries, and did not recheck status that close to the event.

ETA I just checked the suspension list, and there is only ONE person, an eventer. whose suspension began 10/18/2012.

There is no end date, so it is almost certainly a non-payment suspension.

I suspect that one of my conjectures (FEI doesn't care about non-payment, or FEI didn't know about the suspension) above is correct.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I'm not sure what the suspension was for--I was looking up results of the horse and when i pulled it up the horse has "susepend horse" in red below its name. Where do you find reasons for suspension? There was no end date, just start date.

At the top of the suspension list, it says
    FEI Reciprocity Suspensions
    In accordance with FEI Rules, the following persons are ineligible to participate in any capacity in a FEI or Federation sanctioned competition until further notice, unless otherwise specified.
    So I have to assume that FEI/ FHI was not aware of the suspension.

To find the reason for the suspension, you can, in theory, search through the Hearing Committee rulings at
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/ruleboo...Committee.aspx

The ones without end dates will usually be under

Automatic Suspensions per GR913, GR1301 and/or GR1035.4j(2)

But they have only posted through September. October is not up yet.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

On further examination, it was the co-owner of the horse that was suspended (presumably for non-payment). The rider was NOT suspended.

The suspended person was NOT a rider at FHI.

But I don't know why FEI/FHI didn't catch it.
    Janet

http://www.usef.org/documents/rules/...uspensions.pdf

AUTOMATIC SUSPENSIONS (Chapter 13, GR1301.4)
    The following persons/entities have failed to settle their indebtedness with the Federation and each is therefore automatically barred until further notice from participating in any Licensed Competition pursuant to Chapter 13, GR1301.4. In addition, any horses owned by the individuals/entities listed below are suspended for the same time period.
    BLUMENTHAL, BEN – Newnan, GA
    BRADLEY, FELICIA – Kennesaw, GA (Suspension Period: 10/15/12 – 10/24/12)
    JETTE, CAROLYN-Millbury, MA
    JONES, BRENDA – Claremont, NH
    NOLAN, HAYDEN – Earlville, NY
    RAMEIKA, EDITH-Berryville, VA
    SOARES, JESSICA – Portsmouth, RI
    Janet

The same rider won a training level division at VAHT on a suspended horse owned by the same owner.

I'd like to believe that there's a reasonable explanation. Rather than speculating on a public BB, wouldn't it make more sense to privately flag the issue for the TD or the organizer of the particular event? Records online might not have been updated, the suspension could have been lifted by payment of outstanding fees or resolution of the underlying issue (whatever it was), and, if not, having the right folks know that there may be an issue worth looking into strikes me as being more likely to get to the correct result than complaining on COTH.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    I'd like to believe that there's a reasonable explanation. Rather than speculating on a public BB, wouldn't it make more sense to privately flag the issue for the TD or the organizer of the particular event? Records online might not have been updated, the suspension could have been lifted by payment of outstanding fees or resolution of the underlying issue (whatever it was), and, if not, having the right folks know that there may be an issue worth looking into strikes me as being more likely to get to the correct result than complaining on COTH.
    GotSpots, I understand this but the start of this post was a question regarding rules. I don't feel like it's my place to call someone out to a TD or organizer of the event. The USEF records are updated nightly, according to their website. This is all public record, not gossip, and therefore appropriate to discuss. No names have been mentioned.