The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

People stop me to talk to my kid all the time. Generally people don't touch him, though. While I may be the tiniest bit barn blind, my kid is freaking adorable and super outgoing, so I can see why people like to chat with him.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

My 11 year old daughter has stunning, waist length curly red hair and she used to get mauled all the time. It never bothered me. It's not like they are touching her inappropriately. I'm a pretty social animal and she is too, so we had a good time talking to people. I figure many of these old people are lonely, so it's no hardship for me to stop and chat for a minute. When I wanted to get away, I would just say, well, we had a lot to do, and head on our merry way. There are always two ways to look at things.

The cutest thing is that when her sister was born, people would still come up and make a fuss over my little redhead and ignore her absolutely beautiful dark haired baby sister. She would look at them and say, "Isn't my sister the most beautiful baby?". Then of course they had to make a fuss over her baby sister, to please her.

Asian tourists in NYC always stopped us and asked to have their pictures taken with her. They all thought she looked like Annie when she was small. We stopped and let them take a picture. It still cracks us up to think about how many people have pictures of her in their photo albums. It's a wierd thing.

We were recently at a theme park and an asian girl ran up behind her and gently touched her hair and then started jumping up and down like she had just touched some big star. It cracked us both up.

Here's a pictue of my girls. https://www.facebook.com/laurie.l.sc...type=3&theater

People STILL come up to me and mess with my hair and face. I'm 17 and do a lot of adult-ish things on my own (grocery shopping, stuff like that) so it's very weird. I never liked it even as a little one, it's even weirder now that I'm older.

Red hair=rare=grabby hands.
    Hope Diamond=rare=security guards.

It SHOULD be...
    Red hair=rare=security guards.
    Hope Diamond=rare=grabby hands.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I don't care if people are "baby people" or "lonely" or "just can't help themselves". You do not touch someone without permission. Period. No excuses. It is rude and invasive. It does not matter if the touching is "appropriate". It is not a compliment. It is saying that their desire to touch outweighs your desire for space or privacy. If they like my kid, or me, they can say so, not get grabby grabby.

I am never rude and don't yell. But I do not like my kid or me or my animals being touched without permission. It is not okay. I also don't like being told I should take grabby hands as a compliment. I will tell my son and any future children that they do not have to accept physical contact by anyone, even if the other person is being nice. No one gets to dictate to me what I am okay with or what is safe. Strangers touching me or my kid? Not safe. Not okay. It is RUDE. You can be lonely and keep your hands to yourself. Being lonely also doesn't give you the right to make me late or use my time.

For the record, I have talked to strangers and let them hold and talk to and play with DS. But they talked to me and asked, didn't just assume. That is the difference. If you wouldn't walk up and grab the forty year old bald man, you shouldn't do it to kids or women.

I feel like I'm the only person around who is not attracted to babies!! I will usually notice a quiet, well behaved one and maybe say something to the mom. I've never had to audacity to even think it would be appropriate to touch someone else's child!

I was a reallyyyyy outgoing kid. When I was 2/3 I would go shopping with my mom and start striking up conversations with strangers. Of course my horrified mom tried to nip that in the bud
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Try shopping with twins!

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    If you wouldn't walk up and grab the forty year old bald man, you shouldn't do it to kids or women.
    LOL The 40 year old bald man would probably love if you would walk up and grab him...

1 members found this post helpful.

She's touching me.

Mom, she's Touching Me.

Sto-o-o-p It! Quit TOUCHING ME-uh.

Seriously. You're touching me.

Sorry, OP, I keep reading your title and *finally* understanding how my sister and I sounded to our parents on long car rides.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've got a 13 mo old red headed boy. I feel your pain.

He doesn't help. He's a giant flirt and smiles and waves at anyone who glances his way.

I give myself an extra 1/2 hour on any errand or meal out to make up for the chatting. Met a lot of nice folks, though.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It's not just babies or kids either ;-) I was in my mid twenties when I moved from the UK to Arizona, and I would have complete strangers stop me because they wanted to touch my skin. The intense sun out here tends to dry out the skin and these people loved my soft, at the time lol, moist skin - one good bye-product of our gentle English rain!