The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Tekna S vs Older Tekna Dressage

What the pros and cons of the new model versus the older model that is being clearanced out? Thanks. Looking for an all weather saddle for wet, muddy days.

The only difference that I know of is that the old ones have an adjustable tree that is adjusted on a special machine with heat. The new ones have exchangeable gullet plates. Maybe there are more differences, but I don't know.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

The older models start off a bit wider than the newer models. The wide in the A8 is a 33 while in the new model is a 31.

While the measurement that elleng may be true, keep in mind that a) there is a XW plate for the new model, and b) that the measurements are not absolute in terms of fit - much depends on the "footprint" of the tree - a shorter tree will fit differently/wider than a longer one with the same measurement.

Both models are great saddles and I personally love the flexibility of the exchangeable plates. The XW plate fits my elephant of a mare just fine - and she is so broad, with a very sloping shoulder and a short back, that she is often a hard fit.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know it works well for sloping shoulders and short backs. How curvy is the tree in the adjustable one? Again, I appreciate all the info.

Also, how does the seat fit the rider...standard 17 inch fit, smaller fit, or slightly roomy?

Happy riding,
    Jessie and The Stinky Pony aka Bosco