The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Have to agree that the NHS is behind the ball in terms of providing results. They were like that last year too (at least on their actualy website) - ShowNet had the results up pretty quick.

Do you think there'd be more entries if were back in NY? (assuming there was affordable place for it etc.) Or do competitors not go because it is $1000/division and in Kentucky?

EQTV is awesome btw

Don't think that many want to go to Kentucky after Cap Challenge, harrisburg and Washington. Money is good, entries and expenses high. I am sorry that they moved the show away from Syracuse. That was a wonderful horse show with great support and many filled seats. The community was behind itand it was innovative. John and Beezie did a great job producing that event. I don't think that I am alone in feeling that it was a shame to move it away.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

3 members found this post helpful.

To start with the NHS in any location other than NYC will never have the aura/allure that went along with showing in NYC in MSG - the premier indoor sports arena in the world. (Good thing it's not there this year ;-)!!)

It didn't work at the Pier, it didn't work at the Meadowlands, it almost worked in Syracuse and it's not working in KY. There are just too many events at the KHP to expect one more Hunter/Jumper show to morph into something special. Five regular conformation horses? Seventeen First Years? It's sad.

No doubt the KHP is a fabulous, horse friendly facility and MSG certainly was/is not. But it didn't seem to matter if you had to haul equipment up the ramp, listen to that incessant recording, lunge at 2am, go without much sleep, it was the Garden!

For one show I'll take the inconvenience if that one show is held in MSG.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Don't think that many want to go to Kentucky after Cap Challenge, harrisburg and Washington. Money is good, entries and expenses high. I am sorry that they moved the show away from Syracuse. That was a wonderful horse show with great support and many filled seats. The community was behind itand it was innovative. John and Beezie did a great job producing that event. I don't think that I am alone in feeling that it was a shame to move it away.
    You're definitely not alone in that feeling!

And I agree, when it's just one more show at a place that has many, many shows each year, there is no way it can seem as special.

@ruby and MHM, I think if they had stayed at Syracuse they could have made it something special. It will never be the Garden again, but horse shows will never be what they were again period as well.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

...and fortunately, it isn't in NYC this year!
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Chunky, the horse show's Facebook page has been posting a lot of results and pictures, in case you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/AlltechNatio...seShow?fref=ts
    friend of bar.ka

I'm perfectly happy with the location myself. Those who wax nostalgic about the old MSG can always go show in Washington if they REALLY want to drag their horses along city streets.

KHP is much more spectator-friendly. It would have cost me at least $200 a day to attend the NHS at the old MSG in the 1970s; with it being at KHP, hotels being dirt cheap, and day admission being free, I can do 3 whole days of spectating, including the 2 stake nights, for under $200 including hotels and meals! You can't even match that value for money at the local "A" shows at GIHP!

It seems to be more exhibitor friendly at KHP as well. Didn't the GP riders vote it their favorite show of the year last year? Or "best run" or something?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    ...and fortunately, it isn't in NYC this year!
    Geez, can you imagine the debacle if it would have been in NYC with the storm? Kentucky's a pretty nice alternative than having to show your horse wearing water wings and a snorkel!

You really don't need any points to show in the HP hunter or Gr Conf at this show, most of indoors and actually most of the others as well including Devon some years. Just enter and pay your money, they'll take it. Qualifying in those divisions is pretty much a thing of the past.
    I thought you didn't have to qualify at all anymore for the National - you just have to get your entries in on time to get your spot? I'm now thinking I am likely wrong though...

I am grateful to be old enough that in my mid-teens back in the 80s, my best friend and I took the train to NYC to watch the National at MSG. It was amazing, but those days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    I thought you didn't have to qualify at all anymore for the National - you just have to get your entries in on time to get your spot? I'm now thinking I am likely wrong though...
    It depends on the division. Some light divisions took all entries. Other divisions filled plus had a stand by list with many horses on it.

I must have been confusing it with Capital Challenge I guess. Thanks for the clarification!

I guess this is pretty much a non event unless you happen to be there.
    I really could not agree more with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by findlymine View Post
    it cost them 300k to broadcast it last year mason phelps told me!!!!!!!!
    Friend of mine runs a company that does live web casts for some pretty big events and it does not cost anywhere close to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Geez, can you imagine the debacle if it would have been in NYC with the storm? Kentucky's a pretty nice alternative than having to show your horse wearing water wings and a snorkel!
    Can you imagine what a disaster The Gardne would have been this year!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Friend of mine runs a company that does live web casts for some pretty big events and it does not cost anywhere close to this.
    It can't cost $300,000 to live feed the entire show. That's just a excuse why they're not providing a free feed for the whole show! I wouldn't listen to Mason anyways...

and the feed still sucks in case anyone is wondering! It doesn't last more than 2 minutes without kicking you out. Although I know it has to do with havoc wreaked by Sandy... I do hope it is all sorted out by Saturday for the big grand prix and Sunday for the Maclay!

I'm curious how many views they have had this week. I'm excited for tomorrow!
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Geez, can you imagine the debacle if it would have been in NYC with the storm?
    It will be interesting to see how things go in New York with the marathon this weekend. I wish lots of luck to everybody involved in trying to pull that off!

I agree that Syracuse was a very good show that could have turned into a great/special show.

Since results continue to be really slow... anyone with results from the A/O jumpers today? Facebook only lists the winner.