The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    No, doctor couldn't get me in yesterday. I have an appointment today after work. I'm praying I can get to the radiologist today before they close, too! I will keep you updated, and thanks, everyone, for your experiences and continued support! In the meantime, I'm still hobbling around in my half-cast, which is sure better than nothing!
    I'm so glad you are going back to the Dr. I ignored a broken hallux 25 years ago (stomped on by a young horse), and just kept going. Fast forward to now, and I have huge changes in the joint, a gradually deforming foot, and frequent pain. Completely avoidable.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    And over the summer, my crappy ankle was wrapped in vetwrap and cold hosed when I got back from the gym. It worked as well as any "people" medicine.
    Vetwrap is a great standby for people, I use it lots, not so sure about the cold hosing LOL
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Well, all the doctor did was refer me to a podiatrist. The GOOD news is that I have an appointment tomorrow after work!

Sigh. So not a fan of the referral delay thing. Glad they got you in quickly though.

Default Sorry

Probaby a bit of a negative post but a wonderful friend has to give up horses through really no fault of their own except their back has given out. This is a person that has bred some really lovely horses so sorry about your toe but it will heal. When the doctors tell you your back will only get 30% better than it is ... you won't have horses.

Best of luck with your toe ... btw the nicest horse she owned actually broke her toe 2.

Once I got a broken toe from a fall. A very lame fall, I might add. Only started hurting the next week and when I got it x-rayed, they found the fracture. Feet injuries can be weird. On the up side, I've been stepped on a few times, but somehow managed to get away with only a sore foot.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

My horse stepped on my right foot and broke one of the bones, not sure what to call it, that run along the top of the foot and connected basically to the second toe from the outside. I refused a cast, but did use a walking boot and crutches for four weeks. I continued to ride, but without stirrups. Healed no problem but it does ache occasionally.

UPDATE! OK, here's the scoop, straight from the podiatrist's mouth. First, I have to go for an MRI. However, on x-rays, he saw a healing fracture on the navicular bone (I thought that was pretty funny!), basically the top of your arch. There were also a couple other things calcifying in the same area. He stuck me in a walking cast and I have to wear it ALL the time except to drive or take a shower. I'm hoping the MRI only confirms what he thinks, and doesn't show anything worse to make him cast me! I really felt at home at the podiatrist's office - EVERYONE was limping!

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad things seem to at least have a diagnosis now. Jingles for a quick healing with no further complications.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Glad things seem to at least have a diagnosis now. Jingles for a quick healing with no further complications.
    Thank you!

Timely post! Roxie stepped on me and broke my ring-finger toe on my right foot yesterday. :\
    No displacement but lots of bruising. I'm going stirrup-less for the next 4 weeks at least.
    Get well soon!
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

This whole thread was very helpful and answered if I should see the doc about my own stepped on (and hurting a week later) foot. lol yes I should go see the doc.

Hope your own footsie is doing better!

walk it off....you'll be fine in 6 mos

You know what they say.....no pain.....no pain....

First off, let me say OUCH! I feel for you. I've been stepped on 3 times and it felt like all my feet bones had been broken. Luckily, I never got injured like that.

I do have a weird broken toe story. It started when I was still a beginner rider, was on a big bouncy horse and the trainer told me to take the feet off the stirrups and I slid off to one side, in slow motion, trying to hold on by the reins. When I realized I was hanging on the poor horses mouth I let go. I wasn't in any pain so I got back on and carried on. One week later, after my lesson, my foot started to hurt and I realized my big toe was swelling. Went to the dr., he said it was nothing and prescribed me some anti-inflammatory. A few days passed and the swelling didn't go down, so I went to the hospital, got an x-ray and it turns out I had a hairline fracture. Foot fractures are weird...
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Maresy stood on my foot today. Owie. Fortunately I was wearing field boots. Pinkie toe all swollen; don't think it's broken though. Put a cold beer on it when i got home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.