The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Romney has come out clearly against federal disaster planning and relief.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/op...me&ref=general
    OMG did you just actually use an OP ED piece in the NY Times as a sourse of reliable facts. hahahaha

1 members found this post helpful.

Pretty good source, the NYT. What in there isn't factual?

2 members found this post helpful.

OP ED means an OPINION Editorial. Not facts, someone's opinion.

Vineys one sentence conclusion was actually the non factual part of her post.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    If we get to forgive Obama his wild and crazy days I think I can get past a young Mitt Romney doing war protests!
    I'll gladly forgive the war protests. Heck, I'd encourage them. But Romney as a high-school senior physically assaulting a gay classmate? Nope. That is one of the many Romneyisms that totally reveals who he truly is under the veneer.

3 members found this post helpful.

Today housing prices and starts are at their highest level in 4 years. Unemployment is the lowest that its been in 4 years. The stock market, which of course only benefits the rich, has recovered almost all it lost in the great Bush crash. The economy is still growing slowly, unlike much of Europe which is in recession. Without price controls, which we all know don't always work, government can't affect fuel prices except that the US is now producing more domestic fossil fuels than it has in decades.

Once again, what isn't working?
    Umm...you do realize the unemployment is down because of the number of people who have given up looking for a job are not included in the unemployment number, and because of it we have fewer people in the workforce since the 30s?

Every person who has any sort of penison which is much of the middle class is finacially affected by the stock market, not just "the rich."

If the economy continues at it's current rate the recovery will take another 17 years.

While almost shutting down new energy production on private lands, Obama's secretary of energy has publically admitted that he wants our gas prices to be at the same levels as Europe's?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The editorial was cited because it included the actual quotes about disaster relief that Romney stated in a Republican debate.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

7 members found this post helpful.

None of the things argued are very important.

Same sex marriage and making abortions cheaper? My best friend is Gay and even HE wont vote for Obama for all of his Gay baiting and women's right baiting.

If we are completely broke none of this will matter.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Well ...I for one am tired of elections being more like a sport game where one side scores points on this and that. I think both parties and those in office live in a bubble.
    We (the United States of America) are broke. Not only broke but in debt up past Liberty's eyeballs. This to me is the main problem.
    I do not look for the government to get us out of this. Why because they got us into this and not overnight. NOT just Obama, GWB,etc. They have all played their parts and had a hand in it. We the people have stood by and watched and let things happen because of our own little personal issues (me included) being more important to us than the big picture. We have taken what we have for granted and we are about to lose it all. Freedom it comes at a price.
    We have the ability to change things should we chose to. Personally I do not like the choices we have this election. I believe the revolving door needs to turn and I intend to do so with my vote. I do not intend to let any of them become intrenched up there but I fear it maybe to late because either side has the ability to buy your vote by what they can give you or by fear.
    No matter who gets elected we need to become as entrenched in their lives as they have become in ours.
    M
    I just want to be left alone.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

If you read it, Romney is saying he wants disaster relief to be a function of State Government not the Federal Government, States do a better job at almost eveything.

What you took away from the piece was "Romney has come out clearly against federal disaster planning and relief." Which is true, but you didnt add that he wants the planning and relief to go to the STATES.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Under Pres Obama

$6 trillion dollar US Debt (and growing)
    23 million unemployed
    50 million on foodstamps or welfare
    unstable foreign relations
    Stagnant GDP
    Obamacare - the single largest tax increase in history

He has devestated this country, will continue to do the same if reelected.

Dogs on cars, lame horses, draft dodging are UNIMPORTANT.
    You conveniently ignore the condition of this country and the precipice that GW brought us to.

And I'm not sure the rest of the world agrees with you on the "unstable" foreign relations.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    You conveniently ignore the condition of this country and the precipice that GW brought us to.

And I'm not sure the rest of the world agrees with you on the "unstable" foreign relations.
    I dont ignore the condition of the country pre Obama, Certainly Obama hasnt either, blame bush is his mantra.

But, Obama had 2 years with a complete majority in Congress, if he was going to do good, it would have happened then. The only thing he did was pass Obamacare.

Speaking of Obamacare, does anyone find it ironic that the provisions of Obamacare kick in on Jan 1 2013, the first day of the new term?? Huh

If you read it, Romney is saying he wants disaster relief to be a function of State Government not the Federal Government, States do a better job at almost eveything.

What you took away from the piece was "Romney has come out clearly against federal disaster planning and relief." Which is true, but you didnt add that he wants the planning and relief to go to the STATES.
    Actually, the quote goes further-- he'd prefer that such events be handled by the PRIVATE SECTOR-- which he thinks does a better job at everything than governments.

Picture it-- coping with disasters sans national planning or national resources, assistance left to companies out there "helping" while competing against one another for the profits to be reaped, with private charities doing what they can with private donations.

Lovely.
    Last edited by fish; Oct. 30, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

And Mississippi and Louisiana shall suffer alone after Katrina?

And Mississippi and Louisiana shall suffer alone after Katrina?
    What on earth are you even talking about. Katrina that happened 7 Years ago???

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

The stock market, which of course only benefits the rich, has recovered almost all it lost in the great Bush crash.
    Once again, what isn't working?

Wow, do you really believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Wow, do you really believe that?
    It is quite stunning what some people believe. Stunning!

I guess it depends which one you live in. Here in Georgia, all we can depend on from the state is that our Governor will siphon off taxpayer money into private businesses run by his political cronies. HOW COME, you might ask, we don't have enough money to expand Medicare in this state? Well, b/c a big donor of Gov. Deal's absolutely HAD to have millions in state bailouts for his privately-owned business on Lake Lanier, that's how come. In short, from this person's perspective, states clearly DO NOT do a better job. I'd rather have the Fed in control, thanks, because at least in the Federal system there are checks and balances that *should* come into play to control this type of fraud (as they did w/ Gov. Deal when he was a Congressman), rather than Gov. Deal being allowed to effectively disband the state Ethics Commission and do whatever he wants with our tax money.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I actually consider people who have 401k plans with reasonable amounts in them rich. All pension plans have money that they have to invest somewhere, but there are stock market alternatives. The stock market is a form of gambling and only for money that isn't needed for day to day living expenses--those who live from paycheck to paycheck can't invest. Those who aren't willing to gamble with their retirement probably shouldn't.

5 members found this post helpful.

The federal government spent hundreds of millions to rebuild the levee system around New Orleans after Katrina. Since then, we've had the largest flood on the Mississippi since 1937 and the levees held. We've also had Hurricane Irene this year and the levees held.

Without federal levee building (disaster planning and prevention) New Orleans would have had catastrophic floods twice since Katrina.

I agree with War Admiral that disasters bring the scum out of the woodwork from scamming private individuals who need work done NOW to political corruption at the state level for recovery contracts. There are too many examples to list.

7 members found this post helpful.

They ignore the fact that President Barack Obama's proposal for the upcoming budget sequester would cut nearly $900 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, including disaster relief, food and shelter, and flood management at both the federal and state levels.

The cuts, detailed on pages 94 through 96 of the White House's sequestration proposal, released in mid-September, show how far the Obama administration has been willing to go in order to preserve the idea of tax hikes on "millionaires and billionaires" rather than reaching a comprehensive grand bargain on deficit reduction that does not place additional burdens on the economy or essential services.

Hmmm?? Very interesting!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!