The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default POLITICAL THREAD--keep it here

This is crass of me, but I just saw a photo of Mitt Romney and the President at one of the debates, each holding a hand microphone and pointing at one another. Suddenly I made a connection that helps explain part of my Romney reaction. In so many ways, he reminds me of a Game Show Host. His hair, his looks, and most especially his voice, which is always upbeat and selling, selling, selling.

I wonder what will happen to the East Coast Blue States if Sandy decides to hit on Election Day?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

Good idea to try to keep all political debate to one designated thread, if possible.

I think all that can be said has already been said and that rehashed plenty, but a few stray thoughts, that really won't matter much any more but to a few die hard debaters.

Then, I have been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    This is crass of me, but I just saw a photo of Mitt Romney and the President at one of the debates, each holding a hand microphone and pointing at one another. Suddenly I made a connection that helps explain part of my Romney reaction. In so many ways, he reminds me of a Game Show Host. His hair, his looks, and most especially his voice, which is always upbeat and selling, selling, selling.

I wonder what will happen to the East Coast Blue States if Sandy decides to hit on Election Day?
    Please don't take offense...but this is what worries me about this election. People are wrapped up in what someone looks like, sounds like..instead of what someone is capable of DOING.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The problem with non-incumbent candidates in any election, which is particularly exacerbated in this one with Romney's Massachusetts' record, is that they campaign on "Believe what I say and not what I've done."

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Please don't take offense...but this is what worries me about this election. People are wrapped up in what someone looks like, sounds like..instead of what someone is capable of DOING.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

The problem with non-incumbent candidates in any election, which is particularly exacerbated in this one with Romney's Massachusetts' record, is that they campaign on "Believe what I say and not what I've done."
    You mean like Obama did in 08, and still continues to do?

6 members found this post helpful.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Hard to get anything done, when GD congress blocks everything single thing you propose or try to pass, just to make sure there is NO good to benefit anyone during these 4 years.

Reminds me of a little, yappy, neurotic dog, that will piss on his own food when he is full, just to make sure no other dog can eat it either.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    Hard to get anything done, when GD congress blocks everything single thing you propose or try to pass, just to make sure there is NO good to benefit anyone during these 4 years.

Reminds me of a little, yappy, neurotic dog, that will piss on his own food when he is full, just to make sure no other dog can eat it either.
    Obama had a democratic majority Congress for part of his term and didn't get anything passed then either...

4 members found this post helpful.

If we're making shallow observations, I can do without hearing Obama's so-called gifted speaking for the rest of my life....

uh...blahblah blah blah.....uh uh uh blahblhablhablha blah blah blah um.... uh.... uh....bleh bleh blehBLEHblehBLeh..um... uh...

OMG I can't tolerate listening to him speak no matter the topic.

3 members found this post helpful.

Consider the pile o' sh1t that was left to him: NOBODY could done much in 2 years with that, not to mention that there were PLENTY of asshats the 1st 2 years as well.

Ok we're in, altho we try to stay on the secret santa thread.
    We're warmbloods and we have strong opinions about rape, about incest, and about Ryan, who sponsored (and wrote, maybe?) a bill that he introduced in Congress that would make an egg, at the moment of conception, a human being, with all rights of any human. Meaning no woman could abort the baby of a rapist or of incest or of child molestation. We're warmbloods, but we think humans, particularly white males, are dumbbloods to think that they can tell women to not take the morning after pill if they are raped. And worse, that children who are molested must carry a baby to term. (God's will does not include the right to rape or molest a female. Cruel and unusual punishment for women and female children is not to become the law of this land. Who would vote for a man who thinks of women with contempt?)

OK, so.......we have our own secret santa issues. We've mailed off all our gifts, and our opinions are NOT those of our recipient Eleanor, nor do we speak for all warmbloods everywhere, just for ourselves, so:

SOS Save Our Santa

The polar ice cap melts away,
    Al Gore was right, we're sad to say,
    we've save this for off topic day,
    We must move out, oh (rein)deer, oh dear,
    We have no ice to chill our bier,
    We elves and all must leave North Pole,
    Santa's workshop has been downsized and sold,
    A conglomerate has hostile taken over,
    And kicked our Santa out,
    it's headed by a politician, who is a big fat lout,
    He's sold off all the reindeer,
    And downsized all the elves,
    We've taken jobs at wal-mart,
    Cause we have to save ourselves,
    So remember us and Santa,
    On next election day,
    He'll downsize everyone, even the grey and bey,
    Remember when you go to voting,
    Remember what we've said,
    The dyed hair dude will destroy the environment,
    And the gulf sea will be dead,
    He'll let the auto companies fail,
    He's buy out everyone,
    No one will get gifts at Christmas,
    No one will have any fun,
    So remember when you go to vote,
    Don't vote for the lying old goat.

(with apologies to all real goats everywhere, but we had to rhyme something with vote.)

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

All I seem to hear this year is hatred for the other guy.
    I must be getting old, because at least it used to be more about what platform you thought was appropriate/unappropriate for the country, not just the personal attacks based on what a biased source is currently promoting.

Can anyone tell me what they expect their candidate to DO to help the country?

What part of their platform resonates with you? Why do you think is will be good for the country as a whole?

Why do you like THEM, NOT why you hate the other guy?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    Consider the pile o' sh1t that was left to him: NOBODY could done much in 2 years with that, not to mention that there were PLENTY of asshats the 1st 2 years as well.
    Anymore, whatever is criticized, is always someone's fault, no matter who is in charge.

Somehow, those elected forget they were elected to make it work, that they were in charge, whatever they have to do, not look for excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    I must be getting old, because at least it used to be more about what platform you thought was appropriate/unappropriate for the country, not just the personal attacks based on what a biased source is currently promoting.

What part of their platform resonates with you? Why do you think is will be good for the country as a whole?

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post

Like!

OK. I think Romney's a good person, I think he's an effective businessman, I like his confidence and energy when he talks about creating jobs, I like that his first priority is the economy because I think until that is better we can't fix anything else, I like that he wasn't the leader of a pot smoking club when he was in high school and is instead so clean cut he's stiff , I like his wife, I like that he's willing to leave room for input and compromise and discussion right out of the gate, I like Ryan's composure and background. I can relate to both of them. I like that he's building from a positive perspective on this country and not a negative.

I think that Romney is not as divisive as Obama has been, as a person or as a concept. I think that Obama is hindered by many things, some his own fault and some not, but I think he's mired all the same and we don't have time to deal with that right now. I think Obama had a chance and for many reasons, he hasn't done as much as could have been done to heal the economy. I think new energy, new tactics, and an economically focused President would be the punch in the arm that the country and economy needs right now. I think when our country and economy are stronger we will be safer and better set to handle all the other issues that are on the table. I don't think Romney is perfect by any means nor do I think Obama is evil. I just think that we need to do something different.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Ditto.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    OK. I think Romney's a good person, I think he's an effective businessman, I like his confidence and energy when he talks about creating jobs, I like that his first priority is the economy because I think until that is better we can't fix anything else, I like that he wasn't the leader of a pot smoking club when he was in high school and is instead so clean cut he's stiff , I like his wife, I like that he's willing to leave room for input and compromise and discussion right out of the gate, I like Ryan's composure and background. I can relate to both of them. I like that he's building from a positive perspective on this country and not a negative.

I think that Romney is not as divisive as Obama has been, as a person or as a concept. I think that Obama is hindered by many things, some his own fault and some not, but I think he's mired all the same and we don't have time to deal with that right now. I think Obama had a chance and for many reasons, he hasn't done as much as could have been done to heal the economy. I think new energy, new tactics, and an economically focused President would be the punch in the arm that the country and economy needs right now. I think when our country and economy are stronger we will be safer and better set to handle all the other issues that are on the table. I don't think Romney is perfect by any means nor do I think Obama is evil. I just think that we need to do something different.
    I'm with you 100 percent!!!

This is crass of me, but I just saw a photo of Mitt Romney and the President at one of the debates, each holding a hand microphone and pointing at one another. Suddenly I made a connection that helps explain part of my Romney reaction. In so many ways, he reminds me of a Game Show Host. His hair, his looks...
    So did Ronald Reagan..oh yeah, he was a TV show host.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post

The fly in that is that you forgot his social agenda, that is based on his religion, that requires a certain loss of so many rights we take for granted today.

The same can be said for the other side, also promoting a bit out there social agenda.

Both of them are scary if they could do what those social agendas ultimate goals lead to, for different reasons.

It is very simple for me, I will not have the government in my bedroom or my reproductive system. It's that easy. I will not relinquish my personal rights for anything else. I will not agree to keep girls in poverty pregnant and then deny them any kind of aid.

I cannot comprehend the hypocrisy of those who claim to be "pro life" then condem children to a life of poverty by gutting social programs.

14 members found this post helpful.