The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Imperator

Hi, folks, I've never posted on the hunting forum before, but I've heard that the Stubben Imperator is a popular saddle for hunting. While browsing for something else, I came across this beautiful saddle which strikes me as something too good to pass up for someone who might be looking. I will only add that I am not selling this saddle nor do I know anything about the seller. I just thought that it looked gorgeous. The person has advertised it as a close-contact which may be why it has only one bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-UNUSED-ST...item2c6951bfa7
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

That is an insanely good deal!

Have to say that I love my Imperator even though I don't hunt. This one looks virtually untouched by human hands, and it seems to be one of the original made in Germany ones (which I gather are the best made--like mine).

Somebody is going to get a real deal there.

Default Be still my heart!!

Oh goodness. Not in the market, but be still my heart!!

I have to tell you that the Imperator is one of my fave saddles. Great fit for horse, soooooo secure and comfy for the rider. I have one here and anyone who has ever sat in it was like "WHAT saddle is THIS???? WOW!!!"

And if you darken the orange part (Mine is a deep chocolate brown with the black trim) it easily goes right into the hunter ring and looks fabulous, but yet with that black trim also matches a black dressage bridle for the dressage phase if you are eventing.

I am a Stubben fan in general (and like a lot of other saddle brands as well, actually) but the Imperator is a standout!!

1 members found this post helpful.

That is one I wanted back in the Sixties! Does this one have the rubber seat and flap inserts? Supposed to be really grippy for a day's hunting. Very handsome saddle--wonder why the seller has never used it? Must have had it quite a long time, they're not made anymore.

I love the style of it.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

You can still buy Imperators, I believe. I have seen them new for around $2200 (pounds?) in British catalogs.... recently, I think...

I've ridden in a Stubben Lowengrin for over 40 years - three different saddles - and that is the same saddle without the two tone black. I've never had a saddle I liked as much for eventing or foxhunting and I even showed hunters in one, back in the day.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    You can still buy Imperators, I believe. I have seen them new for around $2200 (pounds?) in British catalogs.... recently, I think...
    I think I read some place that they are only available by special order. I hope this one gets a good home.

I have one of these and love it! Mine is older, German made and has water buffalo, not rubber (I think its WB anyhow).

Someone got a great deal!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I enjoyed mine, but it didn't fit either of my horses too well. Ended up on a Smith-Worthington that fit both girls much better; now the Imperator is collecting dust waiting for a horse that might fit it..
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Just got an ancient second hand one, made in Germany. Fit my horse the best out of half a dozen saddles I tried and is comfy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I have one of these and love it! Mine is older, German made and has water buffalo, not rubber (I think its WB anyhow).

Someone got a great deal!
    Does the water buffalo (or whatever) have a texture with lines to it, mainly in the brown area? I think that's what mine might have--mine was made in Germany (it was the prize at AJQHA Finals in Tulsa OK in 1974 according to the name plate).

Love it. And to think that I almost sold it until I tried it on my present horse and everything clicked.

Hope that saddle got a good home and everyone is happy with it.

I found my Imperator collecting dust in someone's garage, when two-tone leather was not "in", so I got it for $250!

Love it, used it for all 3 phases of eventing up through Prelim until I found I dressage saddle I could afford.

Has fit all my TB's well, and fit my friends ID/TB too. Great saddle! I think mine is 30 yrs old, if it falls apart I'm going to be very blue -

Would have bid on that one as a backup, but looks like it sold for $800.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Does the water buffalo (or whatever) have a texture with lines to it, mainly in the brown area? I think that's what mine might have--mine was made in Germany (it was the prize at AJQHA Finals in Tulsa OK in 1974 according to the name plate).

Love it. And to think that I almost sold it until I tried it on my present horse and everything clicked.

Hope that saddle got a good home and everyone is happy with it.
    I think that is the black part??? It is very stiff and yes textured leather (the black part and the underflap) so I assumed that was the water buffalo part.

I'm really not sure. I hunted in mine a couple days ago though and got some compliments! It was also still comfy by hour 4! I'd love another.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

this one showed up on craigslist today :
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/3392414017.html
    Ride a draft - it will make your butt look smaller !!!

I have an Imperator dressage saddle from Germany and I have only seen one other one. I recall DROOLING over the Imperators in the H. Kauffman catalog in the early '70's--I can still recall the wording about the Testa de Diavolo leather. I have owned and hunted in them since. Wonderful saddles. I see them in the hunt field with some frequency. I think they're an excellent choice.