The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking For Breeding Farm Internship

Hello Everyone!
    I am getting ready to graduate from college and I need to find an intership before I can graduate. I want to find a position with my main focus on the breeding and horse management. I dont have a preference as to where the farm would be located but I would prefer a place that focuses on more ranching, reinging, roping, cutting, or racing.

I am posting here hoping that someone can help me in my search and point me in the direction of someone who might take on an intern.

I have been riding since I was 4 so I have tons of horse riding and handling experience. I have taken a class in breeding and horse management.

The problem I am running into is finding a place who is willing to pay for me to work for them. One of my school requirements is that I have to be paid as an intern and work full time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Katie

OP - if you haven't already, post also on Pleasure Horse Forum. They have a pretty broad range of people on there. Also you might indicate the length of time required for this intern program
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I don't know what your school demands, but would an internship in a tack shop, feed store, equine vet clinic, real estate firm in their farm and ranch department or equestrian magazine also work?

Expand your search, you never know what you may find out there.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Gumz Farms in Morganfield, KY is currently accepting applications for interns. They're one of the most respected breeding centers in the pleasure horse industry.

http://www.gumzfarms.com/Kentucky/news.html
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

The Lazy E Ranch in Guthrie, Oklahoma, has year-round internships, with different responsibilities depending on the time of year.

http://www.lazyeranch.net/site/index.asp

When you get to the website, click "internships" to read about them.

The Lazy E is one of the largest breeders of racing American Quarter Horses in the United States.

I sometimes wish I could give it a go, but then I see the hours and think -- nah.

Hi-I am curious... do they also have you do any time with an equine rescue or auction site to expose you the other side of breeding?

Question what about Tbs?

How are you about working with Tbs/ riding yearlings?, Connemaras?.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Gumz Farms is still accepting internship applications. Intense hands on internship from January to June. Application available at gumzfarms.com
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

http://www.kemi.org/Default.aspx

I don't know anything about this program other than it was around in 1999-2000 when I was at an equine school that required an internship. It does pay, however, it looks like you also pay them.