The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ah! Fed up with my dog.

My youngest dog is on a strict diet (per the vet's instructions). I feed him and the others separately, because if I don't, he'll steal all of the food.

It's been okay for about a week, but now he's started barking. Non-stop.

He'll gobble all of his own food and bark. The only thing that stops him is more food, which I really don't want to give him because he is fat.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You can supplement his food with steamed vegetables (low sodium canned green beans also work well.) Snacks of baby carrots, apples, and celery are also good tricks. Avoid grapes, raisins, onions and garlic though. Also you can talk to your vet about switching to a prescription diet food. These are high and fiber so it helps them feel more full.
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day.

If you work him after he's eaten--maybe even for part (or all?) of his meal, how does he do? Sit, down, tricks, etc?

Or get him a slow feeder?

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    My youngest dog is on a strict diet (per the vet's instructions). I feed him and the others separately, because if I don't, he'll steal all of the food.

It's been okay for about a week, but now he's started barking. Non-stop.

He'll gobble all of his own food and bark. The only thing that stops him is more food, which I really don't want to give him because he is fat.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Do you mean he barks all the time when he is not eating or just while the other dogs are eating? Does he stop when no one has any food left?

Thanks! He's been getting veggies, and is on a high fibre food.

I tried a slow feeder for him a while ago and he gets frustrated with it. I still have it and will give it another try.

I'll also try working him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Do you mean he barks all the time when he is not eating or just while the other dogs are eating? Does he stop when no one has any food left?
    He starts barking as soon as he finished eating and won't stop until I either give him more food or let him into the lounge to check the other bowls. If there's a crumb of food left, he'll find it.

He starts barking as soon as he finished eating and won't stop until I either give him more food or let him into the lounge to check the other bowls. If there's a crumb of food left, he'll find it.
    Does it really take that long for the others to finish? How long is he really barking for?

I'd probably feed him, feed the others, and then go back and either run through a series of "tricks" (sit/stay/down/etc) with singular kibble pieces as treats, or I'd give him something delicious to chew on and then take it away from him once the others are done. That way something like a meaty bone keeps its appeal as a distracting treat, if he only gets to gnaw on it for a short period.

Honestly, it was almost an hour last night. My oldest dog takes ages to finish eating (he has always been the same. Nothing wrong with him, it's just how he is.)

I'm not keen on feeding bones, even raw ones. Might have to try a kong. Any ideas for stuffing it?

boiled/mashed potatoes stuffed into kong and frozen, same with boiled/mashed carrots. I wouldn't do PB for a fat dog because it's too much fat.

Can you start the others eating whilst you walk him or something? Give them a head start?

Else, I'd get a bark collar. That's just silly!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If I put any dog food out and he doesn't get it, he starts barking. The others get wet food so it smells stronger.

I think I'll try the slow feeder and a kong.

Thanks!

Honestly, it was almost an hour last night. My oldest dog takes ages to finish eating (he has always been the same. Nothing wrong with him, it's just how he is.)

I'm not keen on feeding bones, even raw ones. Might have to try a kong. Any ideas for stuffing it?
    Ha, silly non-gulping dogs! What a nuisance! I have one who takes her sweet time too, although all she needs is a raised lip if one of the others tries to mess with her.

Doesn't need to be a bone. A kong or a stuffed animal or anything that will distract him. Maybe you can find one of those "games" for dogs and let him keep busy with that, those things where they have to slide stuff around to find treats? I'd do the slow feeder too, so what if he doesn't like it, I know he won't give up trying to get the food just 'cause he's bored!

Also "dittoing" the suggestion to feed him, feed the others, and then take him outside with you to do chores or something.

How about a citronella bark collar for a while, combined with making him work for his dinner? That may teach him that being quiet gets him fed, being noisy gets him a stinky spritz and no food.

My Lab inhales her food, so I either feed most of it as training rewards, or I scatter it across the floor (no bowl) or I float it in water. She's currently an only dog though, and not very vocal anyway so I don't have the bark problem.

Also, teaching the "speak" command can actually help with installing the off switch. Teaching him that he needs to go be on a special mat or spot to get his food or to be allowed in to clean up the leftovers works too. The idea is to teach the behavior, then start extending the time between him being on the mat, for instance, and the time he gets his reward. Barking gets him nothing but shunned.

As hard as it is, you can not ever reward his barking, ever. The worst thing is for him to wear you down so you give in, that just teaches them to keep barking til they get what they want.

Good luck!

Gosh, how annoying that must be!

Yeah, I'd probably feed everyone and then take the young piggy dog for a walk while the others finish. Is the young dog ever gone or out for part of the day...maybe feed them at totally different times and feed the other dogs when the young one is not in the house. Then when he eats, he'll think he's the only one getting fed. If there is anyone else in your house, maybe they could take young dog along for some errands or chores or whatever and that would be your opportunity to feed the other dogs unbeknownst to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Gosh, how annoying that must be!

Yeah, I'd probably feed everyone and then take the young piggy dog for a walk while the others finish. Is the young dog ever gone or out for part of the day...maybe feed them at totally different times and feed the other dogs when the young one is not in the house. Then when he eats, he'll think he's the only one getting fed. If there is anyone else in your house, maybe they could take young dog along for some errands or chores or whatever and that would be your opportunity to feed the other dogs unbeknownst to him.
    Sneaky! I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm on my own here so have to deal with this myself. He is hands down the most greedy dog I have ever met. He's also not very bright.

I think I might try taking him out to the tack room and feeding him there, then going back into the house to feed the other three. Then he can have a stuffed kong to play with while they finish eating.

If that doesn't give the old man enough time, I'll take the ginger dog for a quick walk before he eats.

I really can't stand listening to him bark. He has the most horrible bark ever and he's convinced that I'm starving him.

Teach him at different times to be tethered to you while you go on with whatever you are doing and here and there ask for something he can do and treat.

Then, once he is comfortable with the new game, wait until he is thru eating and, before he starts barking, treat and tether and go on with whatever you are doing, paying intermittent attention to him.
    If he barks, put him to work, no treats then and be sure that he is not barking for your attention as a goal, nip that in the bud also, keep him busy for longer that he would like to be if he does that.

After a while, you can start introducing more static exercises, like "place" and eventually he should know to go to his place and stay there without barking.

Always remember to stay calm, barking is a sign of anxiety, not trying to annoy, so work to teach him to chill and not bark everyplace and that will help at meal times also.

Default This is the most wonderful idea !!!!

This ! Bluey's got it again !~

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Teach him at different times to be tethered to you while you go on with whatever you are doing and here and there ask for something he can do and treat.

Then, once he is comfortable with the new game, wait until he is thru eating and, before he starts barking, treat and tether and go on with whatever you are doing, paying intermittent attention to him.
    If he barks, put him to work, no treats then and be sure that he is not barking for your attention as a goal, nip that in the bud also, keep him busy for longer that he would like to be if he does that.

After a while, you can start introducing more static exercises, like "place" and eventually he should know to go to his place and stay there without barking.

Always remember to stay calm, barking is a sign of anxiety, not trying to annoy, so work to teach him to chill and not bark everyplace and that will help at meal times also.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I have a dog that is just like this but he is a 5 lb chihuahua. He absolutely a PIG and would love to weigh as much as my Cattledogs! This is what I do for him. I the other 5 dogs first and while they are eating I start to toss a kibble here and a kibble there so he has to run and find it. I do this on my kitchen floor. After a few mins of that and almost 1/2 of his kibble, I then either put the rest in his crate for him to devour or better yet, I give him a frozen kong( for him it's just a tiny kong)full of some canned food and the rest of his kibble. Keeps him entertained even while the 20yr old takes her sweet time finishing her food. Only after everybody has cleaned up, left their bowls and he has finished his kong, do I let him out to lick the all ready clean bowls. Keeps him super happy and lean.

My bias is showing, but it may be that he's hungry. Too many of these prescription diet foods are simply cereal. If you got only Special K 2 times a day you'd be barking too. If that's the case consider the better diet foods that are essentially a lean protein and a complex carb.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Why not feed him a bone? If you buy good ones (from a butcher), they are very safe and dogs really do love them.... my dogs will do anything for a big marrow bone and I can put them outside with them and they are occupied for hours. Obviously they can be a bit messy in the house; but if there is a way to feed one outside it seems quite harmless. My dogs like them even if frozen; so it is easy to keep the bones "fresh".

Obviously taking the porky one for a walk while the others eat is a good idea for multiple reasons - he gets a little extra exercise and they get to eat in peace.

It can't hurt to check that he is getting enough calories as well. The solution to keeping him fit might not be the prescription diet but just more exercise.

If your dog is allowed a bit of natural sugar, my dogs LOVE their raw carrots after their dinner when they are still hungry! My dogs are 60 lbs & 92 lbs, so they get a whole carrot each, sometimes more if they are still hungry after the first! Of course, if your dog does not chew their food well/at all, I would not recommend whole carrots (thinking choking hazard/intestinal blockages).

Also, have you worked on a command, like "not yours", when your young dog is trying to steal from the older dogs? My young guy is almost two, 92 lbs, and always hungry/wanting what his older sister has. I taught him, "that's Dixie's" and he understands with her food and treats he is not to take them until she walks away (bones and toys are another story though!).