The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good luck to all
    West of nowhere

We are 3 miles from the bay and 5 from the ocean. (Bye bye boardwalks) We are also 100ft above sea level so we are pretty safe from storm surge. However the high winds may cause a serious problem with all the trees we have around here. Also the tornadoes that Sandy may spawn. We have a generator for the fridge, fish tank and an outlet. Plenty of candles, firewood, flashlights, food, water, and drinks lol. Bought some books and there is always Harry Potter Clue. LOL

The boys are much farther inland, and luckily the barn we are currently was built on nice hilly land, with the barn on top. No trees anywhere near the barn. However the barn is quite massive and run off from the roof may cause water into the barn. They have a generator for the pumps and emergency lights. Barn is stock piled with hay, and I have bought extra bedding, (hay of my own) and 2 weeks of feed (one bag I am keeping in my truck). I am going to head out in the am to check on everybody. But once it gets really bad I don't see myself making the 45 min trip unless there is an emergency. Biggest worry there is debris and building collapsing with the strong winds and once again the tornadoes (I'm totally terrified of tornadoes.) I've never had to the need to put identification on my horses. If they are in the barn, is it still work it?
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

I'd go ahead and put ID on. You never know what might happen. Better safe then sorry.

so far so good here lots of water lakes power still on

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Hurricane

tips for you doing this

ml

this is too late to help now, but for future storms - I fill several gallon and half gallon jugs with water and freeze them. when you lose power, move some down to the fridge, keep others in the freezer and your food will stay cold and frozen for several days. I'm in South Fla and have done this many times with great results.

We were lucky this storm season and only got lots of wind and tons of rain from Isaac, just wind from Sandy.

Good luck to all

My horses have a run-in shelter, with a stall built into one side (they can go in & out as they please) In torrential downpours, the water will overflow the spouting and run into the stall. My creative juices were flowing this weekend and I cut the legs off of 2 pair of jeans, sewed them together end-to-end and filled them with 50lbs of generic clay kitty litter. I laid my "sandbag" across the length of the stall door so that it will divert the water run-off out into the paddock instead of the stall! I put it in place yesterday, to give the horses a day to get used to walking in & out over it. When this is all over, I'll just toss it in the trash.
    Cindy

Not too bad in western MA right now, but some reports from south of us about a barn roof being ripped off. Unconfirmed, this was on a fire rescue groups post on facebook. I think they said in Amherst, MA. Hopefully it wasn't a livestock barn.

My parents are in NoVA, and they said they lost power, but apparently it's very localized right now. I was feeling a bit jealous of my friends that didn't have classes today, but then I realized that it's supposed to be sunny and 75 for the rest of the week out here
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Here in Kutztown, PA (Eastern PA -- about an hour northwest of Philly) the wind is actually sounding more and more threatening out there. Right now it's about 9:20 PM. A couple of my horses are locked up in shed row barn stalls. The others are in shed row barn stalls, but not locked into them. The paddock the shed rows are in are not that big. We keep losing power for moments at a time, and then it comes back on. I really wish this more intense part of the storm was during daylight so I could better as to what's going on out there!

Good luck to all being hit by this storm!!
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Well here in Schwenksville PA things never got over the top. The wind picked up, but it never downpoured for hours like I thought it would. The horses stayed in overnight and were turned out about a half hour ago with waterproof sheets. I'm planning ok keeping them out all day unless the weather picks up again. Right now we're either in a lul or the worst is just over. Breezy with showers is how I would describe it!

Jingles to everyone, especially those that were/are being hit hard! Stay safe!

Any updates from anyone ?

Hope your horses are ok.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

We are fine, the barn weathered it with some minor damage, and the horses are fine. As for those on the shore, that's a whole 'nother story!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    We are fine, the barn weathered it with some minor damage, and the horses are fine. As for those on the shore, that's a whole 'nother story!
    I'm in CT too, on the MA/RI border. we never lost power, only cable/internet for a few hours. Horses were all tucked in the barn and did fine. Lost a portion of one tree in one paddock, a few large bushed in another, but our big fence that separates two back paddocks is flat on the ground. We're considering ourselves very lucky as we're up on a hill, and with the way the winds were howling, I'm surprised that we didn't lose more trees!

I hope all people and animals are doing ok.. it sounds like there are millions without power so they might not be able to check in..

Prayers and Jingles to all..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

All my prep time paid off every one safe here only one tree down. Never lost electric that was a blessing. Thank you every one for prayers. I am 12 miles west of Atantic City and wow it was really ulgy sounding after 7 pm. I saved one metal barn for my peeps by using stall mats to hold it down the front metal strip had 7 stall mats on it. Figured 700 lbs may just help it did. I just got them for some stalls and used a ezgriper thing to drag them in the hurricane to the needed area. I saw this building lift up 3 inches before the heavy winds and thought got to fix this or going to loose this building and every thing in side it. Seems the company has improved the gripper and wet mats may of helped. Was very soaked yesterday and crashed early with the 80 mph winds over head. Hope every one else did ok. Atlantic City was just Trashed by this storm.