The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Uphill Colt Dilemma

This year I produced an amazingly correct, gifted with gaits and personality, colt by Uphill out of my 16'3" h Rousseau X Jazz mare. The national champion for KWPN this year was an Uphill X Jazz filly, and an Uphill last year was in the top 3. There may be only 3 Uphill colts in North America including this one. I unfortunately could not make a Keuring this year. My dilemma is, geld him, or keep him whole until his 2 yo Keuring. I cannot campaign him but would love to partner with a trainer who could. Any thoughts?

Could you get one or more (separately) people who are known for assessing young horses, but don't know you and have no stake in your colt staying entire or not to come and give you an honest assessment of his stallion potential?

You'll probably get more responses if you post in the breeding forum.

That said, I would geld, unless you a)have lots of experience with stallions; b)have plenty of funds to get him approved; c)have plenty of funds to campaign him; and d)realize that standing a stallion in the US is a money losing proposition 99% of the time.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

. I would suggest getting an opinion from some of the dutch stallion licensing judges - perhaps send video? The bloodlines alone are never enough. There are few and far between colts approved each year and the criteria is high.

edited - sorry got my bloodlines confused. But the end result/advice is the same
    Last edited by honeylips; Oct. 28, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

Cool I agree with the other ones here....

I would have him evaluated by some experienced "stallion picking" eyes. One thing is for sure, you can't put them back, so I would do my homework first before calling the vet out. Stallions can be a lot of fun but as a LONG time stallion owner, don't expect to make much money with them.

The KWPN stallion Uptown is sired by Kennedy (Ferro) out of a Ubis mare.

And I would definitely keep him whole until he is a 2 year old . . . assuming his behavior is manageable and he continues to develop in a positive way.

Default Stallion prospect

Hi
    I bred an uphill in 2011 and had the same dilemma. I sold him to someone that had the facilities to raise a young stallion. As a breeding farm I had mostly mares and foals and fencing not appropriate for a stud. My colt was from a PROK kwpn mare and had the bloodlines top and bottom to stand as a stallion. If your colt has stellar bloodlines top and bottom and you have the facilities to stand him and you want to then why wouldn't you. Standing a stallion born in NA is not a easy or revenue fulfilling endeavor but if you want to try and you have the means and the knowledge to do so then go for it. I sincerely wish you the best. Would love to see pictures of your foal.

Default Thank you for the advice

I want to thank all for the replies. I'll try to secure an opinion from an honest source and go from there...

What is the damline on the mare like? Is it well established ? The KWPN really wants to see colts come from exceptional damlines, and pedigree is a big component for them. If the damline is only so so, I might be more inclined to say geld. He'll have a happier life, and unless he's better than both his parents, Uphill semen is still readily available, and he's breeding LOTS of mares in Holland; so, for sure there will be many of his colts in Holland that will be considered for the approvals.

Default Dam Line

This is the Rousseau's mare first foal as she is only 4. She was a first premium foal with nice slopping shoulder, rectangular type (Uphill is a bit square according his stallion report), resembles Parzival without the markings, nice gaits without the exaggeration but with Rousseau's rideability and confidence. Her dam by Jazz (Hanoverian on the bottom) was bred by JP Farms in Illinois. Was 7th nationally for gaits and is a Ster mare. She has had several foals but one, a little guy by Sir Sinclair, Avenger JP is #1 in the country for KWPN horses at Adult Amateur 2nd level for this past competition year, and easily schooling PSG. As far as an American bred Dam line, it is pretty good, but obviously not as historical as the European dam lines.