The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, the good/bad news is that this was the quote from one builder. He does tend to run high, so we are hopeful that others will not approach that level. Hoping!

Haven't looked at poured walls, but will! Thank you for the idea!

Just spoke to my builder and he said the cement block would make the building way more expensive than the concrete board we used. Requires a lot more expense in pouring footers, plus the blocks themselves, and the masonry work. I'm pretty sure poured walls would be a good bit more expensive than the concrete board, too, but likely less than the blocks.

You building for a hurricane or something? :-P
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Well, all it took was a stiff breeze from Sandy to make me realize I really like being able to get out of the wind and thought about all the complaints here. No shedrow for me!
    Thanks ya'll!

No breeze in either wing of my shedrow tonight, but topography definitely works in my favor deflecting strong winds even before they get to my walls.. Sounds like you may not have as many options on your lot, but you may have more than you realize,

I think for the barn site, three seasons would be spectacular, but the fourth? Oh dear--I don't need another reason not to stand in the barn

I'm torn as to whether I should replace my shed row with a center aisle (one of these days). My vet LOVES shed row; says it is much healthier for the horses. And some of Boyd's folks have told me that his horses have been much happier since they moved into shed rows. (Although they also complain about not staying dry during rainy weather). It's a tough choice I think.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I'm torn as to whether I should replace my shed row with a center aisle (one of these days). My vet LOVES shed row; says it is much healthier for the horses. And some of Boyd's folks have told me that his horses have been much happier since they moved into shed rows. (Although they also complain about not staying dry during rainy weather). It's a tough choice I think.
    You can have the best of both worlds. Mine is a center aisle with sliding doors with gossip gates opening onto the aisle. The stalls all also have Dutch doors opening to the outside with 10' overhangs. Back stalls have runs off them. Front stalls have covered concrete aisle in front of them. I also have two giant covered run-ins (22'x24') coming up to the aisle. So lots of versatility and ventilation and the benefits of both center aisle and shed row. :-D

Ditto to Badger,
    if I were building a smaller barn, I likely would have gone with a "enclosed" shedrow. Basically, a wall of windows that lift up the entire length of wall, but could be closed up in bad weather-like at the track.
    My compromise will be essentially what Badger did (because her place is badass!)-- double-loaded aisle with lofted ceilings and a giant ridge vent.

well, here's a thought...........

if you like the look and versatility of a shedrow MOST of the time, and you are planning for very deep overhangs anyway, why not have the option of enclosing the open length with pull down garage doors?........so many different styles of them (i am picturing the carrage house style doors)...and like the auto mechanic garages, the doors can be rolled up in nice weather, or for access, and pulled down when you want the area closed........unlike sliding doors, they don't take up any wall space, all you need are supports ar each side, which you would likely have in place anyway..............some or all of the doors can be closed at any time..................and with so many style option, windows are available to let in light, as well

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho392 View Post
    well, here's a thought...........

if you like the look and versatility of a shedrow MOST of the time, and you are planning for very deep overhangs anyway, why not have the option of enclosing the open length with pull down garage doors?........so many different styles of them (i am picturing the carrage house style doors)...and like the auto mechanic garages, the doors can be rolled up in nice weather, or for access, and pulled down when you want the area closed........unlike sliding doors, they don't take up any wall space, all you need are supports ar each side, which you would likely have in place anyway..............some or all of the doors can be closed at any time..................and with so many style option, windows are available to let in light, as well
    Have you priced garage doors lately?

no, i haven't priced garage doors.........but from your response, i am guessing this seems cost prohibitive...................oops...

ok, then how about doing the same thing with a heavy canvas,similar to what is ued for awnings or special occasion tents................can be made in a fashion similar to roman shades.........
    i have them done in shadecloth for my arbor, each section is about 10 ft wide................would not be TOTALLy weather proof, but would certainly provide a physical barrier against weather and keeping an animal in a confined space , as well as shade barrier to keep stalls cooler...........

grommets along the edges for the pull rope to run through, section of 2X4 at the bottom to provide both stablity and structure to raise and lower the canvas with.....

Fivehorses sent me a PM with a Q about my barn, and I got the following message when I tried to respond:

fivehorses has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
    I'm hoping she'll see this comment here and know that I tried to respond!

Yes, canvas is what we had to keep rain and snow off the overhang and stalls.

The trouble is that canvas made it very dark in there.

Maybe you can find some other kind of screens that would keep moisture out and still let some light in there?

Hey Badger, thank you...
    I am having a bit of a challenging time figuring this new system out.

I am in Aiken next week, so will pm you again(after I clear out my messages) LOL. Maybe we can meet up. I hope so.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

If the apartment is part of your long term plan ( a place for help to live? ), then it makes sense, but the cost is going to be significant. If it's just temporary while you're building a main house, you could probably rent (or possibly buy) an RV trailer for less.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket