The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default okay,I am the bad person with the barking dog

I have a pound hound for the last 3 years. I just got a notice from Animal Control today that my dog was barking too much today at 10:30 am. My dog a shepard mix, will bark if someone is near our gate or fence or when a siren goes by ( that is a good howl though). If you stand there, she will keep barking until the person leaves. We live near a college so we have a lot of people parking and foot traffic past our house.

What can I do to reduce the barking? She is just being a dog. She has never barked without a reason andn frankly as I am alone at home a good amount as my husband travels, I like the protection.

Help.

It sounds like the dog is outside? Bring her in?

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't offer a lot of help, but I can sympahtize. Our terrier is a barker. If she's outside and somebody pulls in, she sees a cat, the wind blows, etc. I bring her back inside ASAP with a very loud "THANK YOU!"

I've found that the more exercise that she has, the less that she barks, so I've added a walk/run into our morning routine. That seemed to help a little bit.

I don't like being 'that' person either. We've been working on a no barking command, but honestly, I have so much on my plate that it's fallen to the wayside.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Default more info

Both my husband and I were at work today. She will quit on command but can't do that if neither of us are there. We have 7 foot block walls around our backyard with a gate that is 8 ft wide. It is clean, with shade and water plenty of running room. I exercise this one and her mate daily and we do agility classes. She is very good on the lease but is just very protective of her family. If I have to be out on a dark lonely road-Rosie would be the one I would like as a companion.

You have a couple options, I'd say. Stop leaving her outside when you're gone or put a bark collar on her.

I have a citronella anti-bark collar that works great for my lab... definately recommend trying one!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

My old terrier would sometimes bark excessively. A citronella collar worked great with him.

I dont mind barking dog, if its a few barks as an alert. However excessive barking can be frusterating, and usually a bark collar and indoors with closed windows is one of the easier ways to control it.

Sorry, but if you're not home during the day & your dog is causing enough problems to have someone calling Animal Control, she needs to be kept indoors when you're not home. Period.

Having been someone subjected to incessant barking from a dog (owned by a very nice couple) who just would. not. shut. the. F. up. all. day. long. - I can completely empathize with whomever called AC on you.

Suck it up & keep the dog indoors when no one will be home. Dog barking from indoors if someone tries to break in should be "doggie protection" enough.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is there a reason she has to be outside while you are at work?

Citronella collar. They really do work. (including on my formerly yippy chi)

Sorry, barking dogs aren't just a mild nuisance. If you have a neighbor that works odd hours or is sick for some reason, the barking dog is no longer just a mild annoyance. It could be a critical difference in someone's health or proper sleep. If you don't sleep properly there's a much greater risk of accidents when driving or a higher statistic of illness.

Default I let my dogs stay outside because

I have a nice big backyard, that comes with a home that I have owned for the last 25 years. This is the first time we have had ANY complaint about our dogs and we have had them since the mid-90's. On these forums we read about people who do not have good living conditions for their animals. I have very good facilities for my two dogs. I have all the required licenses etc. As this is a college town, a lot of the neighborhood has changed to renters and those who are not here for the long term. There is one household who kept their dog on a chain in front yard during the heat of summer. There is another dog owner who lets their dog out in the early hours of the morning. He wanders the neighborhood to use everyone's yard. But because it is before the office hours of animal control-they don't see it.

So how do the citronella collars work?

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    I have a nice big backyard, that comes with a home that I have owned for the last 25 years. This is the first time we have had ANY complaint about our dogs and we have had them since the mid-90's. On these forums we read about people who do not have good living conditions for their animals. I have very good facilities for my two dogs. I have all the required licenses etc. As this is a college town, a lot of the neighborhood has changed to renters and those who are not here for the long term. There is one household who kept their dog on a chain in front yard during the heat of summer. There is another dog owner who lets their dog out in the early hours of the morning. He wanders the neighborhood to use everyone's yard. But because it is before the office hours of animal control-they don't see it.
    Sorry, but just excuses on your part - & no good ones to excuse your dog's behavior at that. Uh - "licenses"? What does that have to do with uncontrolled barking? Uh - "good facilities"? What does that have to do with uncontrolled barking?

The bottom line is that YOUR dog is barking enough to annoy someone else to the point where Animal Control has been contacted. This means that you need to curtail the dog's barking to the complainant's satisfaction or you'll be contacted yet again & things can get uglier, whether you feel they're warranted or not. Whining here about everyone else's dogs doesn't cut it, & won't cut it with Animal Control if you're cited again.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have to keep mine in the house or I know she howls/screams/wails all day long (she's hound-ish)....

The collars have a bark detector then spritz little bit of water on the dog when they bark.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicl...6/barking.html

What do all those other people have to do with your dog barking? What is that weird statement about "all proper licenses"?

You need to either a) keep your dog inside (why is that a problem?) or b) get a bark collar.

What other people do or don't do with their dogs has absolutely nothing to do with your barking dog.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Sorry, but if you're not home during the day & your dog is causing enough problems to have someone calling Animal Control, she needs to be kept indoors when you're not home. Period.

Having been someone subjected to incessant barking from a dog (owned by a very nice couple) who just would. not. shut. the. F. up. all. day. long. - I can completely empathize with whomever called AC on you.

Suck it up & keep the dog indoors when no one will be home. Dog barking from indoors if someone tries to break in should be "doggie protection" enough.
    This. There is almost nothing more rude than to subject your neighbors to incessant barking.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post

So how do the citronella collars work?
    I have a neighbor who lives up behind me who used to put her dog out at 6-7am and brought him in sometimes at 10-11pm. She could somehow ignore him and sometimes it was apparent (when it was 10, 11 midnight) that she just was not home. He never-stopped-barking. He was like a metronome, one bark about every 2 seconds, -all-day-long.

I left her an anonymous but nice letter in her mailbox letter in her mailbox. Nothing changed. Then I left an anonymous but not so nice letter in her mailbox with ordering information for the same model bark collars I use on my dogs so that my neighbors do not have to listen to them barking. No change. I called her, told her who I was and told her if she did not start controlling her dog's barking that i would be calling and reporting her. Nothing changed but I did get her litany of excuses.

I called animal who control who happens to be an ignorant idiot (and GSD dog breeder btw) who informed me he knew her and that her dogs were show dogs who were bred to work and that she could not use a bark collar on them because it would alter their behavior in the show ring (the conformation ring btw, not even out working). I told him I did not care and that since our town had a brand new nuisance bylaw I told him that I did not really care what his personal opinion was but that after 3 calls I would be seeing her before the board of selectman. Geesh. I have working dogs too and I can pretty much guarantee you the drive on my dogs would whip the drive on hers since mine were actually bred to work and can be quite difficult to live with.

Well, there have been about 5 calls in the last two years. The first 3 were all in one summer. When we got to call number 3, I noticed the problem pretty much resolved because I told the dog officer in no uncertain terms that I was done listening to her nuisance. Especially from some wingnut who considered herself a professional breeder.

I guess this woman saw that there were people being brought before the selectmen and being ordered to deal with their issues in ways that meant business she finally smartened up.

But to the OP, try and understand, there are plenty of people around you who are PISSED OFF about your dog but do not want to fight with a neighbor so they put up with it. I guarantee it. There is no excuse in the world for them to have to listen to your dog on a regular basis and any reason you come up with is just an excuse.

My dgs still bark, if I let them out to pee sometimes they will bark at something and I have no problem with someone else's dog doing normal barking for a minute her and there as mine do.

But my dogs wear bark collars that are the strongest I could find as they would not be deterred by the dog store collars. I do not think spraying them in the face is kind, one zap and they do not bark. I put the collar on them and the do not get zapped because they know not to bark when they have it on. I do not want to leave them in because they love the yard and I am generally home all day. I am always paranoid that they will bark in their pen when I am gone and always, always, always have their collars on if I am not home.

I really can not think of any reason my neighbors should have to listen do my fogs and Op you should be a responsible and considerate neighbor and do the same. Or simply do not have a dog.

I would suggest letting her enjoy the yard when you are home and can go outside with her and throw a ball to her or relax with her. When you aren't at home, keep her inside. You may need to find a walker or petsitter to take your dogs out if you are away for many hours at a time, if that is a possibility.
    You can't be too careful. Barking can be a really annoying sound. By calling animal control, someone may have done you a favor. Some people aren't so nice and will throw poison in your yard to stop the barking (and kill the dog). By the way, of course I would never do that and find it abhorrant, but I would worry about it if someone is complaining. Pet theft has also skyrocketed, so it may be for the best anyways.
    If you do decide to use a collar, I'd probably use a shock collar rather than a citronella collar because the citronella smell will get on her coat and continue to bother her, whereas the shock is only an annoyance during the problem barking. I personally wouldn't go that route, though, because I wouldn't want to extinguish all barking when there is someone on the property.
    Just remember that typically, dogs are quite lazy when we're not there. I doubt she is out frolicking in the yard for the whole time you are gone. Let her out and give her a good play session when you are there to supervise, and leave her inside when you're not there.

Well said, sketcher.

OP, I have a five minute recording of the dog behind me that was barking non stop. I would be happy to send it to you and you can play it on a loop, at top volume. Perhaps then you could understand just how absolutely MADDENING it is to have to listen to a dog barking it's bloody head off.

Hmmmm. OP hasn't checked back in yet. Perhaps she's not getting the warm fuzzy reply posts she was hoping for.

Or maybe she's still at work & her dog is outside barking her brains out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    You can't be too careful. Barking can be a really annoying sound. By calling animal control, someone may have done you a favor. Some people aren't so nice and will throw poison in your yard to stop the barking (and kill the dog). By the way, of course I would never do that and find it abhorrant, but I would worry about it if someone is complaining. Pet theft has also skyrocketed, so it may be for the best anyways.
    I second this! After working at an emergency animal hospital I can tell you from multiple first hand experiences that not all people are nice enough to just call AC. It's beyond heartbreaking to watch people lose their beloved dog because the dog annoyed someone in the neighborhood too often. So because of this and multiple other reasons my dogs are outside with me, or safely inside. Best of luck!
    Last edited by left@C; Oct. 26, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Knowing roughly where you live, I assure you that the culture there is not pro dog. If your dog continues to annoy neighbors, you probably will find it poisoned or killed. Pretty common in this part of the country.

Bring your dog inside, and use a bark collar.