The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fans of Obie, the 77-lb dachshund...

For anyone who doesn't remember, Obie is a dachshund who was surrendered to an Oregon dachshund rescue group about two months ago at 77 lbs. The group asked for help finding an appropriate foster home for him where he could have his special needs taken care of while losing the weight. His foster mom, Nora, has been posting Obie updates on Facebook as "Biggest Loser, Dachshund Edition," and he's now down to 62 lbs.

Apparently the rescue now is suing her to give him back, because they claim she hasn't been adequately caring for him: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/O...html?tab=video

Drives me nuts, because the foster mom posts on FB every darn day with pictures and videos of Obie's progress, Obie playing and cuddling with her other dachshund, Obie going to the beach, Obie going for a very very very slow walk, Obie's weigh-in for the week, etc. He's clearly losing weight at an appropriate pace and is also clearly well-loved and happy. She took him to NYC for TV appearances, which focused on recognizing and preventing pet obesity, and although she's received a lot of donations, I'm sure that a massively overweight dog requires a lot of special maintenance and I don't think she's feathering her nest at his expense.

Anyway, I understand we're clearly only hearing her side of the story here, but it really does seem like the rescue's pissed at not getting their share of the fame and donations, rather than genuinely concerned about the dog.

Obie has made it on to our tv as well. I suppose it is all about the donations, how much, and where is the money going...but the shelter could have taken him on instead of advertising him to go to a foster home. She never signed a paper taking ownership tho...certainly not in the best interests of poor Obie. We had, utiil last year, a little brown daschie like him.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I am sure that the funds donated are at the heart of the law suit. The rescue never expected this degree of public interest in the dog, and they want to benefit from it.
    Sheilah

Supposedly, one of the reasons that ODR is angry is because the foster (who apparently never signed a contract, whoops) did not act in the best interests of this dog because the foster flew the dog (in cargo) to NYC, and that was dangerous to the dog, according to ODR.

I don't know if a morbidly obese dog would suffer more in cargo than a fit dog, but I have to say I would never fly one of my dogs if I could help it, period, and I definitely would not fly a medically fragile dog. I don't know if a 70 pound doxy is considered medically fragile or not.

Foster said she wants to educate the public about obesity via Obie. Fine - but why FLY the dog across the country? (assuming it is dangerous to do so). Videotaping/skype, etc. are all available. I don't know, she sounds a bit like an attention seeker to me.

Supposedly, the foster has not been paid to appear on television. I have no idea what sort of private "donations" she (foster) has received...

The foster allegedly took the dog for vet care several times, but won't release the records to ODR. That is suspicious in my book - why not? She has possession of the dog, but she does not OWN the dog. OTOH, it sure sounds like the ODR's head honcho is a controlling sort. (and would perhaps like control of the story, and donations...?)

Stay tuned. The hearing is on Monday.

Rescues: ALWAYS HAVE CONTRACTS WITH YOUR FOSTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    Supposedly, one of the reasons that ODR is angry is because the foster (who apparently never signed a contract, whoops) did not act in the best interests of this dog because the foster flew the dog (in cargo) to NYC, and that was dangerous to the dog, according to ODR.

I don't know if a morbidly obese dog would suffer more in cargo than a fit dog, but I have to say I would never fly one of my dogs if I could help it, period, and I definitely would not fly a medically fragile dog. I don't know if a 70 pound doxy is considered medically fragile or not.

Foster said she wants to educate the public about obesity via Obie. Fine - but why FLY the dog across the country? (assuming it is dangerous to do so). Videotaping/skype, etc. are all available. I don't know, she sounds a bit like an attention seeker to me.

Supposedly, the foster has not been paid to appear on television. I have no idea what sort of private "donations" she (foster) has received...

The foster allegedly took the dog for vet care several times, but won't release the records to ODR. That is suspicious in my book - why not? She has possession of the dog, but she does not OWN the dog. OTOH, it sure sounds like the ODR's head honcho is a controlling sort. (and would perhaps like control of the story, and donations...?)

Stay tuned. The hearing is on Monday.

Rescues: ALWAYS HAVE CONTRACTS WITH YOUR FOSTERS!
    I did read about the cargo shipping thing a little while ago, and that is bothersome. I didn't realize they were in Oregon when I heard about the NYC trip--I assumed they had to get there by car. I definitely don't think traveling in cargo is truly safe for any pet, and that a morbidly obese dog who had just come to a new home seems definitely more susceptible to both physical and emotional stress in a trip like that. So knowing that, I do have a little less sympathy for the foster mom. Awareness is great, but I agree that the segments could have easily been filmed at home rather than transporting the dog.

On the other hand, I don't know what precautions were taken or who actually shipped the dog--I know there are pet transport companies out there that provide safe cargo transport for pets, and it's possible that the TV stations paid for Obie to have special transport. And the rescue woman's other argument was "they just don't seem to have a bond," said after Obie had been with the foster mom for less than a month... which makes me skeptical of her professionalism or reasonableness in regards to the communication about vet records and so on.

Quoted from the article:

She said she doesn't believe Obie is now hers, but she doesn't think Oregon Dachshund Rescue has a claim to him either. Say what I don't understand.

Jenell Rangan did not agree to a formal interview with KATU News, but said she believes Obie belongs to her and Vanatta is not providing good care.

The article never uses the word foster.

Oregon Dachshund Rescue originally heard the dog was in need of a home and put out an online plea for help.

So the heart of the matter, come court Monday, is whether Vanatta is an owner or a foster, right? Hey OP, can you post the update after the court hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post

So the heart of the matter, come court Monday, is whether Vanatta is an owner or a foster, right? Hey OP, can you post the update after the court hearing?
    That's my take on it... I'll post details when I hear them!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Obie-...176307171.html

Looks like he's going to stay with his current caretaker, but it's just the beginning of the legal battle. I just don't get why a rescue would spend time and money battling for custody of one dog that is clearly happy and in a good home.

1 members found this post helpful.