The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Team Canada/Clayton Fredericks

He was named? Awesome. Florida is now Canadian Team Central! They ought to develop Frequent Travel Miles for horses in horse trailers.
    This is good news as it will have Clayton in NA for some serious face time....I like this!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

From the perspective of a "regular Joe" Canadian eventer, I really hope that Equine Canada and the High Performance team will consider bringing Clayton to several parts of Canada regularly. Florida is quite a long way from most of Canada... and what we really need is to continue development at all levels, not just the elite levels who can travel to Florida or live in California. I would really like to see our developing and high-performance plan for the next few years, along with budget.

I am happy with his appointment generally, given some of his successful students. I wonder who else was in the running?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I am also curious who else was in the running.
    ~I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.~

I heard Leslie Law was on their short list also.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    From the perspective of a "regular Joe" Canadian eventer, I really hope that Equine Canada and the High Performance team will consider bringing Clayton to several parts of Canada regularly. Florida is quite a long way from most of Canada... and what we really need is to continue development at all levels, not just the elite levels who can travel to Florida or live in California. I would really like to see our developing and high-performance plan for the next few years, along with budget.

I am happy with his appointment generally, given some of his successful students. I wonder who else was in the running?

If I may, I would like to ask a genuine question. When you say "all levels" could you clarify. It is my feeling that it is not the job of the international coach to be concerned with "all levels". That is not to say that those other levels should be left to fend for themselves with no coaching and guidance.
    Let us have some perspective in just what an international coach should be responsible for. There are some great canadian coaches out there right now who might be drafted in to form a cohesive development role who can then "feed" back to the international coach and EC.
    There is a lot to be said about the elite riders "distracted" from training and competing because they have to teach/clinic which takes them away from their training programme.

Should the international coach be pulled from pillar to post or should that coach have a few "assistants" who are based around the country who can support and guide those talented combinations to the levels where they can go on to the elite level and the international coach.

I think the international coach should be mostly focused on the elite riders and the national federation putting in place a programme to get those combinations to the international coach.

There is only so much Clayton can be responsible for.

Just putting that out there.

Point well taken, snoopy.

I did not mean all levels, as in Pre-Training. I meant CCI* and up. I think, similar to the US, that we are lacking a cohesive strategy for development. IME, Equine Canada, the High Performance committee, and the Provinces (I can only comment on BC, but it is probably happening elsewhere) don't seem to have a strategy. Or if they do, it is not working!

Maybe I am asking for the impossible. My experience has been that there is not a cohesive vision. People in positions of power seem to like wielding that power, rather than working cooperatively. There are factions and politics. And we have a major geography problem. Obviously all of this cannot be laid to rest at the new Technical Advisor's feet. While I agree that Clayton cannot be responsible for the whole enchilada, it seems that his position could be used to help strategize and lead. Give us a "front door" to the European approach. We should be taking advantage of this opportunity to do so.

If anyone else wants to chime in, I would love to hear their opinions too. I'm willing to say that maybe I have it all wrong!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    If I may, I would like to ask a genuine question. When you say "all levels" could you clarify. It is my feeling that it is not the job of the international coach to be concerned with "all levels". That is not to say that those other levels should be left to fend for themselves with no coaching and guidance.
    Let us have some perspective in just what an international coach should be responsible for. There are some great canadian coaches out there right now who might be drafted in to form a cohesive development role who can then "feed" back to the international coach and EC.
    There is a lot to be said about the elite riders "distracted" from training and competing because they have to teach/clinic which takes them away from their training programme.

Should the international coach be pulled from pillar to post or should that coach have a few "assistants" who are based around the country who can support and guide those talented combinations to the levels where they can go on to the elite level and the international coach.

I think the international coach should be mostly focused on the elite riders and the national federation putting in place a programme to get those combinations to the international coach.

Just putting that out there.
    I agree. And would add that there is also only so much that EC can afford. I don't know what this gig pays or the exact terms, but I have difficulty imagining that we are paying for enough of his time that he can focus on our high performance riders and also wander around the country on a regular basis. That said, I think it would be nice to see some more symposiums across the country...just not sure that "regularly" is likely. Though, I suppose it depends on your definition of regular!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

While it's true that Clayton Fredericks can't do everything, it's also true that, in recent years, Canadian eventing teams didn't have the luxury of 'selection'. No qualified combinations got left home. At WEG 2010, things came together in Canada's favour, but the success was as fleeting as those three days at Kentucky.

Perhaps WEG gave the appearance of a program but there wasn't enough depth to sustain it once normal horse stuff like injuries set in.

Meanwhile, in the provinces and with EC, eventing doesn't seem too healthy. Not everyone can afford to move to the US to be a WS; not everyone wants to, yet this seems to be the only route to international success for Canadian eventers.

Development has to come from somewhere. I would hope that the chef d'equipe plays some role in it, whether in talent-spotting horses and riders at clinics/camps or by enlisting a team of assistants who could do the same.

Rio is 2016. The Pan Ams -- in Toronto -- in 2015. Horses that will be suitable for those programs are now (in 2012) as young as 5 or 6, and presumably competing at the lower levels. Clayton Fredericks knows what an international-caliber horse looks like. One hopes that this expertise will be used to Canada's benefit.

Yogi Breisner sees more than just the top squad in the UK. In Australia, a long list of riders have access to the national team coaches.

JER is right, I would imagine that Canada, more than most competitive countries, would need to have their technical advisor beating the bushes for talented 5-6 year old horse/rider combinations to support in their upward development. Get yourself to top and buy an expensive made horse isn't working so well for the US-Canada has even less in funds to work with-they have to make their own which means they can't afford to miss an international caliber horse just because it's not in Florida or California.

I don't know what their budget is but for anything over $100,000/$150,000/year I would expect an almost full time job. If he has a couple hundred days to work with, it doesn't cost that much to do some flying around. If that sounds like a lot of work for not much money, how many horse professionals do you know who make more than $150,000/year?

NCRider, are those hypothetical numbers or do you have some insider info? I am not sure whether we, Equine Canada/Horse Trials Canada members, have access to how much the ITA is paid. I think we should.
    Blugal

Totally hypothetical. I have no idea what the budget is. I recalled what CMP was making, remembered that the lack of funds was one of the reasons everyone assumed that DOC wouldn't stick with the Canadians, chopped off $100k or so from the CMP figure and tossed it out there. Also figured it had to be enough of a lure for CF to take the job given that, unlike DOC, he's not bringing in extra $ as USEF president.

Totally scientific

ETA-I also worked the numbers from the other side. How much do full-time jobs pay for successful people in areas where there's not a lot of revenue generation but the job is something that many people would want/enjoy? Think management of small non-profits, coaches of non-revenue generating NCAA sports, etc.

I have no idea what side of the over/under line the new Canadan technical advisor would fall.

Nice quote from Clayton's interview with Horse & Hound:

“Canada has some really good, solid riders, particularly the young ones, and some exciting prospects.

“It’s very important to have a sound strategy of where the horses run and how often and to bring other horses on. We need to increase the depth of horses available.”
    Blugal

Hum.. from another perspective entirely... Must be lonely for Lucinda and their little girl who are still back in the UK.

Yes, I'm definitely wondering what is going on there.
    Blugal

I agree it would be nice if the coach could be training out of Canada for at least SOME of the year. Why are we based in the US all year....that is kind of annoying. Not all the up and coming talented riders are professionals who dedicate their time down south all winter.

I am getting worried that Canada is becoming like the US...a select few riders keep getting chosen for training camps, grants etc.....yet time and time again they do not give us results. There are only a couple of riders that are consistently good at the international level. There are other riders who are consistently good yet they get no support, training, sponsorships, etc. I am getting tired of seeing the money being thrown at those who can not deliver.

Come up to Canada and scope out the talent, thats what I think we need.