The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freestyle

Can you begin a freestyle with your walk work? Enter at walk then proceed to necessary walk work for that level?

I do believe I've seen it done, at top competition. It is different, but it is a freestyle.

Check the rules.

Heather Blitz does, and I believe I've seen some others as well. I think it's allowed, but don't know if some levels call out a trot entrance/trot from halt which would require otherwise.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty sure it's allowable but it may lower your entrance score and your overall level of difficulty score. It's DR129 in the USEF rule book but you find an actual FS test sheet more helpful because they are very specific to what you can do and what you can not do for each level.

I've seen horses enter at the walk but I've personally never seen them continue at the walk after the halt. In each case, the horse halted at G and all of these tests were some years ago before the scoring for the entrance was changed. You can break up the walk in the test. In my daughter's 2nd level FS, the free walk is performed and then the medium walk is performed but there is canter work between the two. Just keep it interesting.

Yes, you can. Lots of people enter at walk and then trot or canter. I've done it on some freestyles.

Most people don't go directly into the walk because it usually doesn't show it off to the best, and a walk break in the middle usually works better. But, you could do it.

If the horse doesn't like to do a proper flat footed walk (after trotting/cantering) then this is the route I would go (while working on fixing that issue).

But a walk in the middle of the routine usually gives the horse the chance to catch their breath and for free walk - stretch their backs.
    Sandy in Fla.

Thank you for the responses. My gelding is working on his RELAXATION and the walk tends to send him over the edge after trot work.

Ive done it (walk entry, halt, extended, then collected walk) and scored 9's on both walks on multiple occasions, even the occasional 10 . My choreography for that freestyle probably averaged an 8 over the 2 seasons I used it and I got several comments about the walk work being unique, well planned and shown, ect.

Ps I had AWESOME walk music too. Every beat matched not just elevator music like is often seen and was made from 3 songs to "tell a story".

Absolutely - the requirement is that there be a halt at the beginning and at the end - no requirement it be done out of a certain gait. I've seen it at several levels, including the FEI levels.

If that is the best way to show off your horse's walk, then do it. Personally, I think it is a less "exciting" entrance.

And do use GOOD walk music - the walk is a marching gait, not a stroll through the park - too many people use boring music for the walk, which makes it, well, boring!