The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To clear up confusion, I ride trails/endurance in a crupper, but don't normally use it in the arena. I intend to start now though, and see if it helps.

I had the same issue with my Wintec 500 AP. I switched saddles (Stübben Scandica DL) and no more issues whatsoever. My horse never acted sore or uncomfortable in the Wintec but I definitely noticed a difference with the saddle switch.

I've had this issue with every saddle I've put on my mare, so I'm saving up for a proper saddle fitting. It's a saddle thing which could be improved by girths or pads but is still a saddle thing.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

I have the same problem... And I also think its a saddle fitting problem...
    I´m getting a custom saddle right now...
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
    I have the same problem... And I also think its a saddle fitting problem...
    I´m getting a custom saddle right now...
    Actually Bryan, the Voltaire rep who came to our barn yesterday, said it is a very common problem. They worked on it and developed a new saddle especially for ponies and I have to say the fit was pretty good! Kids at our barn were pretty excited that they got to try the first US prototype, Bryan said they haven't even found a name for it yet. I'm not sure how long it will be until they officially launch it but it seemed very promising... It was high time a French brand starts developing a real pony saddle as opposed to just making a smaller version of their full size saddle. It's pretty obvious that ponies aren't built like miniature sized horses...

Nike13, cruppers are legal in dressage. I ride my Arab in one. As someone else pointed out, it's a cheap fix for a frustrating problem, and if your pony already accepts it, you're a step ahead. If they are correctly fitted, they don't affect performance in the least.

To share my similar story, I tried a bunch on saddles on my guy and every single one slid forward. Everything. I tried the girth thing, the pad thing, spent more money than I'd care to recall shipping saddles, and nothing worked. In desperation, I figured he'd need to wear a crupper if I taught him to drive, and it solved the problem such that I was able to use a saddle already sitting in my tack room.

Another thought is that an 18" girth is really short. I had better luck with a longer girth. Not sure why.

If she is "mutton-withered", a foregirth may help. Had to use on on a VERY round Shire/TB mare who was withers-challenged.

Eventually, I found the Larische medium-wide the best saddle for her, sans foregirth. (I bought it used...pricey! )

I lost her a few months ago, but have kept it as fits my stallion (IF I can ever find time to ride him again).

They're hard to find, but will keep it in case I wind up with another one like her. May be worth pursuing.

Ginger, did a longer girth help with the sliding forward, or do you mean it was just easier to find?
    She has decent withers, and side-to-side slipage is not a problem. Fortunately she is very accepting of the crupper, so hopefully that will help. Up until now, I've just used it when riding steep hills/long distances.
    Here's hoping a short anatomic girth does the trick. A custom saddle is not in the budget right now, and even if it were, who wants to ride over the river, throught he woods, and into a briar patch in something that expensive? I'd probably break down a cry the first time I scratched it.

Nike13, the longer girth helped stabilize everything and did help somewhat with the sliding forward, although it didn't cure the problem. However, I do use a longer girth now with the crupper. It's also a heck of a lot easier to adjust from the saddle. If a very short girth won't solve the sliding forward, those buckles will be hitting pony's elbows, so do keep an eye out for that.

You might try a Thorowgood Griffin or the more modern t4. They have very flat
    panels and are made for round horses. I have two Griffins and also a Wintec Pro and a Wintec AP both of which have adjustable gullets and neither of the Wintecs fits my little round 13.2 pony as well as the Thorowgood Griffins.