The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stories of good outcomes? Update post #23.. unexpected addition

I don't post about this kind of stuff, but I'm taking all I can get at this point. A very special member of my family has not been home for nearly three days now, and my heart is breaking.

Indoor/outdoor cat, whenever she pleased. Accompanied me during chores, every day, twice a day, raced me back to the house, every time. Believed every (human) meal was actually supposed to hers, especially breakfast. A hilarious, young, sassy, friendly and personable girl who I felt lucky to share my day with. She was my highly entertaining roomie during my last year of college, and was a comforting soul to cry with after losing my dad to an accident in September.

She hasn't come home, and I'm losing hope with every hour she's missing, and with every call she doesn't show up to.

Any stories of cats who have wandered off and taken a while to come home? I'm trying desperately not to think of the worst case scenario.
    Last edited by Cataluna; Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Happens all the time! My old indoor cat went missing for about 3 weeks and then just showed up at the door.

A co-workers cat was missing for a couple of months and just showed up back at the house 2 weeks ago.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

So terribly sorry to hear about the recent and sudden loss of your dad. You really don't need to have a missing kitty right now, do you... .

True story: my mom's neighbour's cat disappeared for weeks, if not months, and made it back home safe and sound. I think the hypothesis was that she got into a landscaper's truck and ended up far from home, but made it back eventually -- thinner (she had put her front leg through her collar!), but otherwise basically healthy. Apparently, she chose to become an indoor cat after her big adventure and didn't poke her nose outside for the several years she lived afterwards!

Don't give up hope -- we are jingling like mad for you....

I had a cat disappear for three months. He was an inside cat who slipped out the door when we were unloading groceries. It was a cold winter, yadda yadda. My daughter was 5 at the time and kept saying she knew Flynn would come back. I tried to break it to her gently, as time went on, that it wasn't likely. Well, one day I saw a very skinny cat eating out of my outside cat's food dish - sure enough, it was Flynn. My daughter just said, "I told you, Mommy!"

Aw jeez, she sounds like a great kitty! Big jingles she comes home. We'd have our barn cats wander off for weeks at a time too, so don't give up hope.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I had a cat disappear for 2 weeks, and then show up a little skinnier, but no worse for wear. No idea where she was. She had ALWAYS come back in at night for dinner.

Have a barn cat that will disappear for a week or so and then show back up. No idea where she goes.

Post a lost ad on CL, put up fliers all over the place, and check local shelters. Sometimes someone will find one, and think it was dumped or a stray and take it in, or drop it at a shelter.

Don't give up yet! Just read this story Everytime you need more hope.
    http://lakecrossonline.com/2011/10/2...eally-do-work/
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

My sister's cat got out when her apartment was broken into (they had smashed the sliding door and it was open when she got home). She was really worried because he'd always been an inside cat and had never been out of the apartment before.

She had given up on him when 9 months later he showed up on the back porch - skinny as anything, dirty and full of fleas but it was him. She took him right to the vet and nursed him back to health.

Jingling for a quick and safe return!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Jingles from me too ! I also have outdoor/indoor cats and they do take "walkabouts" occasionally, that is just the nature of cats. Hope she comes home soon !!!!

Jingling mad from PA!! And yes - I've had several go missing - one for more than a year!! Don't loose hope!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Yes! Our Mica (in her younger days) disappeared from my parent's house for weeks. Long enough my parents had given her up for dead. They searched all over their quiet country road and 20 acres for her body and couldn't find her.

Then one night... boom. She's back. She never was much for going outside or climbing in trees again.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I had a cat vanish twice for weeks at a time in his younger years. After the second reappearance, he became an indoor cat (which he hated) until he died a few years later. Both times, he was gone for about 3 weeks and returned home thinner but unscathed. Jingles that your little fur buddy comes home soon!

I sure hope she shows up! Cats go missing and then come back with a "What's the big deal?" look on their face all the time.

Our part-time barn kitty/part-time house kitty, Minnie, who is also hilarious, sassy, entertaining, sweet, awesome, etc., has gone missing a couple of times for a week or two. Each time, she has showed up at different houses in the neighborhood and moved her sassy self right in. The people she's "chosen" say that she just walks up, announces herself, and then claims their house as hers. Each time, she's managed to lose her collar and ID en route to her chosen family - she is micro-chipped.

Have you put up signs and placed some in mailboxes, too? That's been successful for us for Minnie's little rendezvous.

Jingles for AWOL Kitty.

Have you checked all buildings, garages, etc in the neighborhood? I had a cat show up after a week, skinny but ok. Later in the week I had a woman call after seeing one of my lost Kitty posters, checking to see if he'd come home. She said her young son swore he saw an orange (ok-beige) cat come flying out of their garage when they came home from vacation! Mr. Pee was a rigidly monitored indoor cat after that hell he put me through.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Jingles for your kitty to come home to you!!!

I am so sorry for the loss of your father.

Jingles for a quick and safe return.

Let's hope she just wandered off and tried to get a meal at someone else's house who has her holed up while they're trying to find an owner.

I actually lost my dog that way for a few days. I let him out to potty, he never came back. 2 days later, I saw a neighbor walking him. Her kids had been outside on the porch eating pizza. My dog went over to visit. They took him inside. I had a crew of 15 people out looking for him within an hour of him going missing, but she had taken him inside.

When I approached her, she said "We really like him and kind of planned to keep him." Uh...no.

So...maybe your critter is just with someone like that right now. NIce and warm and well fed...just holed up with a neighbor. Get the signs out. ((hugs))
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hoping for a fast return home for your kitty. One thing you can do that might help is call for the cat in the evening when it is still out, no matter how silly you feel. I did this for three nights this summer when I misplaced Jack - no really, I did, although not deliberately, silly bugger hitched a ride into town UNDER the water tank and when I stopped at the town shop by the water pipe, he came up out of the truck box, looked around in horror and I grabbed and missed. He bolted south, which got him started in the right direction. He was three nights coming that mile and a bit from town but he never lost any weight over his ordeal; I am assuming he stopped at the two farms north that have feeding stations for their cats. At any rate, I would call him a few times each evening and early Wednesday morning (ot was too hot to sleep and I was upset so I watched TV), the house cats just went crazy, running, yowling, and generally raising hell.Later that morning, there was Jack, sitting calmly on the tractor toolbox, waiting for breakfast. One good thing, he isn't so keen on truck rides since his awful shock at being landed in town and having to walk home.

Don't give up hope, and keep calling.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Thanks to everyone for the replies, they actually have made me feel a bit better. Still no sign of her though, unfortunately . I'm desperately hoping that her curiosity has wandered her off somewhere and that she's trying to get home.

We call her every morning/evening, throughout the day and before bed. We've gone looking for her a few times for several hours. I've called the Humane Society and they said they haven't had any stray cats dropped off since last week. We live on a quiet residental road in the country, nearest neighbor is about 10 acres away and we're fairly far back off the road on an additional 17 acres.

This is the worst feeling ever. Not knowing if she's going to come back. I have foxes and coyotes dancing around in my head.

Be sure to check with neighbors as well. We had one get locked in a neighbors shed and my dad happened to ask them and their he was. My one barn cat, all 25 lbs of him disappeared fir 3 months shortly after he was given to me. I happened to be at someone on our street's barn and he came up...and the BO said, oh I think we have your cat, He had somehow gotten lost and stayed in their barn...he hasn't left since. And another cat disappeared for a few weeks, We think he was on a landscapers truck. He wondered home one day, ate, and slept for 2 days.

Don't give up yet. Post flyers and ask neighbors. Jingles for a safe return.