The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll join the party. DH's calf horse who I've been riding off and on (and who is a lovely mover despite a back a yard long), has had some time off due to weather and work schedule. Today was sunny and I was off, woo hoo, go out...

NQR left hind. I had mentioned to him before that she seems to trip a lot in the rear when I'm riding, once almost unseating me at the canter, which did wonders for my confidence (not). He said she is being lazy and to push her. Today, definitely not lazy, NQR, something. She is knuckling over here and there on the L hind, and when walked on a line, tracks up with the right hind and is about five+ inches shorter on the left. When asked to trot a line, she stumbled in the rear same as she has done to me in the saddle, and no wonder I have felt unseated before. Ergh...poor mare. Took video for DH.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Default Totally empathize!

You can put me near the top of the list. Mine went lame with a suspensory injury at the end of May. He had two months off on pasture rest and then began a confinement/limited exercise rehab program. I am almost done with the 3rd month of that, during which I've been hand walking him for 45 minutes/day for the last 2 months!! I am SO ready to ride. I sold my dressage saddle, hoping to get a new one and now am holding off to be sure that my horse becomes sound again. I think he will, but I don't want to make a stupid decision.

I test rode a horse for a friend last weekend and got to jump for the first time in 6 months. It was so fun! It's not that there aren't other horses around to ride, but just not necessarily my type of horse, and most of all, they are not MY horse.

SO, I completely empathize with the others of you out there. Jingles for all of you and your horses. I hate this kind of stuff

Well, still lame. Not noticeably at the walk, so I threw the new saddle on and we did some walk work just to see if he approved of the fit (and a few steps of trotting to confirm that yup, he's still lame!). Everything seemed pretty peachy and it was nice to ride in a saddle that doesn't have to have eleventy-billion pads between us, although I think the rise of the pommel is ever so slightly too long for me - BTDT with my old Passier, but it's got to be that way to clear those withers, and I can live with it for now.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Aaaand we're still battling the abscess from hell...it has been oozing nastiness for the last week or so, and he looks relatively OK at the walk but we cannot put the shoe back on because it blocks the tiny drainage hole.

I want to RIDE. Oy.

Oh, I so feel your pain!! The end is in sight, though!! Pie's took 2 months to fully heal... but we are in scab central now and back to work!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

I'm passing the time by cleaning up the property (needed done anyway). Including prepping my "seasonal creek" to become my very own water crossing.

It's had some flood issues in the past, overflowing into the back of our pasture, so I've been out there grooming the banks and removing debris, such as the tree that was cut down and into rounds and then left half blocking the creek. The widest part on our property is perfect for a gentle slope, and the ground seems to be staying relatively hard.

eek. Glad to see that a few are improving...

Mine? Has laminitis in the RF, d*mmit. Probably mechanical due to poor shoeing (dumb me <-- I let old farrier get away with stuff for too long.) Vet and new farrier worked together to figure this one out, pony has a great trim and new shoes with pads in front, but still needs some time off. But she is less lame than she was.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Aaaand we're still battling the abscess from hell...it has been oozing nastiness for the last week or so, and he looks relatively OK at the walk but we cannot put the shoe back on because it blocks the tiny drainage hole.

I want to RIDE. Oy.
    Have been using Ichthamol?

Sorry you are going through it...but it could be worse. Let's see, mare is on her second month of stall rest of who knows how many for a high suspensory strain (we are walking). 2nd horse lost part of the week to Sandy, rest to work, then on Friday he pulled a shoe (so I couldn't ride over the weekend)...and tonight he colicked (hopefully not serious--seems fine for the moment). On my way to meet the vet for mr. Colic...got an email from the broodmare farm and one of my weanlings has developed Physitis (she just had big growth spurt).

It is ALWAYS something!! As long as it is not fatal or long term career ending...I can deal.

Hope you get over it soon!!!
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 5, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Right there with you.... In addition to "regular horse" who's been lame for a year and is now pregnant while she has time to heal, "loaner" horse decided to go lame last week in the middle of a lesson. Literally just started limping half way through - no tripping, didn't hit anything. No swelling that we can see, and it's not in a leg where we'd be suspicious of previous injuries flaring up. Vet is coming tomorrow but I suspect he'll be completely sound then because I was supposed to be showing at Rockinghorse last weekend. That's over with now. We scratched. He can get back to being sound again.

In other news, the completely untrained green bean is right as rain in spite of having feet that look like crap. Probably because she's not ready to go anywhere at all yet.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Have been using Ichthamol?
    Yes, it's packed right now, diaper and all. He was out grazing when I left this morning, which is a good sign - when he's not feeling well he spends most of the day sleeping in his stall. It could be much worse, I know, I'm just so gung ho to buckle down and make some progress this winter. It couldn't come at a better time, though, absolutely nothing going on and we can hopefully make up lost timem when he's back to work.

3 with abcesses right now...swear they are contagious.
    Worst year I have ever had for them, no one was immune...to wet all summer and Fall the same........grrrrrrrrrrrrr

That's what I've heard from my farrier, Judy. More abscesses than he's ever seen at one time!

I use this stuff on the hoof http://kaeco.com/components/com_virt...2e057d1e98.jpg then thin pad, heating patch next (this company has "knee patch" rectangle sizes http://www.thermacare.com/), then vetwrap and cover with hoof boot. Someone told me about this method, and although I only had to do it 2x (knock on wood), both times the abscess burst in 2 days.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!