The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lame horse whine...

Purely whining, nothing more. My horse has been lame since Saturday thanks to a surprise abcess the farrier found - right at the toe on the LH.

He's looking better, albeit slowly, but dangit I want to RIDE! I picked up a new saddle that seems to fit him nearly perfectly on Saturday and was only able to girth it up and sit on him for a few seconds. And the farrier drilled and tapped him for studs so we can hack around the pasture safely.

I know, it could be much worse. I'm just itching to try the new saddle. Gah!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

That sucks. I feel for ya' my horse is ever so slightly off but I don't want to push it and ride anyway. Vet couldn't find anything so might be she's bruised her leg in someway. sigh.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I feel your pain... Mine suddenly went dead lame on the RF at 'C' in the dressage arena on Sunday... yes, right in front of the judge! Have started the whole diagnostic process... no answers yet, except it's not an abscess. She's in her stall, on acepromazine...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Must be the week. Like MT, I noticed my guy a little off...in moments (sigh). As we have a show next weekend I decided to give him a break though I really want to ride. The vet comes this week for shots so I'll have him take a look, but like MT, I feel it may be a result of pounding on our hard pack ground right now.

Quick story related....Here I am giving Sterling a break, no work, just hang with the girls. This morning just before I leave for work I hear this barking of the neighbor's dog(s) going non-stop. When I step out the back door I see Sterling and Clover running across the pasture...being chased by one of the neighbors dog that got loose. This is not a friendly dog and it was chasing them like it was hunting. It trapped them twice, with Sterling trying to kick it and stomp it. When I ran up the dog ignore me completely and kept trying to get to Sterling (or Clover).

We spent 15 mins running around my pasture, me trying to get the dog off my horses, the horses trying to get away. At one point the dog chased them into a stand of trees running full out...I swear I thought something bad was going to happen. This f'ing dog would not stop, but it finally did get tired and I was able to catch it. It tried to bite me, but I was both crazy to do this, but just so mad that I was able to block the bite and hold its head while I got a lead rope on the collar and not so politely walk it back to the neighbor's yard were I tied it up. I was SO MAD!!! and pumped with adrenaline that as I walked over to my four-legged family I had to sit down as it washed over me. Then something so sweet, Clover came over to me, stuck her head down and gave me a little nuzzle, Mercedes also walked over to check me out and Sterling stood quiet by us.

I had never been so concerned, angry, and upset in the whole time I've owned horses till now. What really got me was here I wanted Sterling to not run around, rest his legs, and there he was going full out. I'll be having a talk with the neighbor's when I get home, but I doubt it will do any good. They keep two dogs chained outside all the time and reason is not something they value. But worry now is that he becomes spooky/anxious around dogs. Till now he's been geat dealing with dogs, cats, goats etc. Will this sour him? I will find out soon when we go to training (couple of dogs, very nice at the barn).

Hey, at least it's at the toe. My guy blew out so much hoof from an abscess that channeled up to the coronet band that he's been out of work for 2+ months now. He's sound, but I don't want to take the risk of destabilizing anything further, so I'm just doing a whole lot of waiting for hoof to grow...
    An Eventful Life
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    I had never been so concerned, angry, and upset in the whole time I've owned horses till now. What really got me was here I wanted Sterling to not run around, rest his legs, and there he was going full out. I'll be having a talk with the neighbor's when I get home, but I doubt it will do any good. They keep two dogs chained outside all the time and reason is not something they value. But worry now is that he becomes spooky/anxious around dogs. Till now he's been geat dealing with dogs, cats, goats etc. Will this sour him? I will find out soon when we go to training (couple of dogs, very nice at the barn).
    I'd save the nice talk and just tell them that next time you catch their dog chasing your livestock, you'll be turning it over to the proper authorities Maybe if they have to pay to get it back, they'll put a little more thought into it.

^this. People don't change. If the dog got loose once it will do it again. Animal control should have been called the first time- Especially since the dog tried to bite you.

As for the rest of you... I know it stinks but I WISH it had been an abscess in my horse's case. At least she's pregnant now but but she's the most beautiful, most talented, sweetest lawn ornament I'll ever own. Sigh***. Coming up on one year since our last show.

I'd just bought a brand new saddle for her and a horse trailer with living quarters. Fortunately the saddle is a decent fit on my coach's old horse that I'm borrowing these days. The trailer has been to countless vet hospitals and dog shows... Not quite like I planned but I guess we readjust our plans to fit the hand we're dealt.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Mine was off for 3-4 weeks before she finally abscessed (HUGE abscess, 1.5 or so inches across). She was only really lame for about 5 days but still not rideable. She is still slightly off a week later. I want to ride so bad! I feel your pain!

Mine has also been off for over 6 weeks now with a recurring abscess. Fall season has been shot and I'm soooo over abscesses :/
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

My second-string/backup horse went lame in the middle of a jog session Saturday with what was thought to be an abcess. Turns out it's a coffin bone fracture and he's done until 2013. He was filling in for my "real" eventer who is currently rehabbing from a suspensory strain. So on the bright side I can at least sit in my saddle... going at the speed of tack walk. I feel everyone's pain!

Abcess City here, too....looks like a heel on McLucky... vet said it was two other legs that were worse and giving him trouble but I really don't think it's the others. Not when he was sound after the heel opened up....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Bah. Still gimpy. Not nearly as bad, but still a little short on that hind. Maybe I ought to just give him the week and see if he's back to normal this weekend...

Default Must be something going around..

Ah! I hate to be happy about everyone's misfortune but misery loves company...
    My girl has been "off" for three weeks now.. turns out after she blew an abcess in the right hind she just started draining on in the left hind! She was sound today and I told my trainer not to tell her I was coming tomorrow but fingers crossed that I can ride at more than a walk tomorrow morning.

I'm so tired of poulticing and wrapping and massaging that I could pull out my hair... I hope the OP's horse is back to awesome very soon! (as well as everyone's!)

I have had more abscesses than ever this fall. The pony who never ever is lame blew one out her heel (never taking a lame step too!) My ottb blew one out each heel bulb. and now I just got in another ottb and she had a tiny one come out of her toe, then a monster one draining from that little crease between the bulbs of her heel! At least we know it's a mild issue that can be fixed
    Yesterday our vet was out for shots, and she said they have seen more abscesses than ever this fall. I wonder what has gotten into all of our horses!?!

Jingles for all the lame horses.

It couldn't really come at a better time, I suppose. Everything is wrapped up for the year, and if I were going to give him a few weeks off, now would be the time. Dressage shows start up again at the end of February, eventing season starts in May. If it weren't for the darn new saddle sitting in my tackroom I doubt I'd be so impatient about getting on with it!

Ok I feel better now LOL
    Pie's abscess busted out his heel, also. After it busted out the sole... then the coronet band... then it finally took the entire heel bulb out with it!
    He got hind shoes back on today, so *knock on wood* I hope we will be back to action soon!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Add me to the whiners. Been rehabbing my horse for a stifle injury since Sept 2011. Ugh

Finally trotting again, but it's hard to stay motivated with winter coming on after more than a year of stall rest and nothing useful achieved riding wise. My guy will seem to improve with an increase in work then gets nqr so we back off and try again and again. Bleh

Rehabbing my OTTB from a mystery cut? kick? to the RH, 5" above the hock ... That was five weeks ago, and I've owned him for all of seven and a half weeks!!

At least he's healing well and we're tack walking with some trot in there. Trot time is increasing steadily. One day we'll even canter ...
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

I'm in the "Gamey Gang," too. Basically, my beautiful, talented, fun-to-ride OTTB is now a beautiful, talented pasture-resting, hand-walking, wait-and-see OTTB. He's actually doing ok with it now, but my Appy is totally PO'd at having to do all the work in the meantime.

I'm wondering if the OTTB would be willing to transition from our old jumping, dressaging ways to in-hand trail...

I feel for you! 2 days after we got home from AEC's I came out to feed in the morning and found the Giant Red Horse immobile in the pasture. xrays showed a highly comminuded and displaced fracture of his elbow. Took him to the vet school, took lots more images, had 4 surgeons consulting. Ended up opting for a conservative approach since he's fairly comfortable on it.

fast forward 6 weeks, he's still standing in a stall cross tied (not allowed to turn around or lay down). He's got 3 months of tied rest followed by at least another one month of loose box rest then we'll re-evaluate his soundness and maybe take him to arthroscopic surgery to remove fragments.

Sigh, no riding. for a VERY long time. I'm grateful he's still on this earth but man I miss riding him.

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery for all of the other soundness-challenged ponies out there!