The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like head-to-wall leg yield on the green horses to teach the very basic concept of Move Away (not forward!) From Leg. I only ask for 3 steps at a time, then reward and straighten. At first, the 3 steps may be shallow crossing, perhaps a little bit crooked, as long as the horse is genuinely *thinking* about what I'm asking. Then cut the next corner, and ask for 3 more steps at the next side of the arena, asking for a bit more straightness, and concentrate on that step UNDER and across. As a rider, be sure you are sitting square (don't drop your shoulder!), perhaps just a bit deeper with the inside seat bone as you feel the inside hip drop. Keep a steady connection with the outside rein and keep the horse's neck straight-- don't overbend to the inside and let the shoulder pop loose.

The trick to teaching this exercise is you can't demand perfection in the very beginning-- the green horse gets confused, feels trapped by the wall, or gets very crooked trying to escape. You have to reward the small effort first, then refine that into big, supple, soft steps under. Don't ask for more than they can give.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_rid...aining-horses/ a nice article by Jimmy Wofford that covers it nicely. I only stumbled across this article this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    I like head-to-wall leg yield on the green horses to teach the very basic concept of Move Away (not forward!) From Leg. I only ask for 3 steps at a time, then reward and straighten. At first, the 3 steps may be shallow crossing, perhaps a little bit crooked, as long as the horse is genuinely *thinking* about what I'm asking. Then cut the next corner, and ask for 3 more steps at the next side of the arena, asking for a bit more straightness, and concentrate on that step UNDER and across. As a rider, be sure you are sitting square (don't drop your shoulder!), perhaps just a bit deeper with the inside seat bone as you feel the inside hip drop. Keep a steady connection with the outside rein and keep the horse's neck straight-- don't overbend to the inside and let the shoulder pop loose.

The trick to teaching this exercise is you can't demand perfection in the very beginning-- the green horse gets confused, feels trapped by the wall, or gets very crooked trying to escape. You have to reward the small effort first, then refine that into big, supple, soft steps under. Don't ask for more than they can give.
    This ^^^ 1000%

1 members found this post helpful.