The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Glad to hear the old gal is doing so well. :-) Just a thought on the Soft Rides--maybe you need different orthotic inserts and/or need to shave down or completely cut out the frog supports. Play around and see what makes her more comfortable. But if you suspect that she is laminitic, I would definitely keep her in the Soft Rides if at all possible.

Don't know what size she is, but I do have a brand-new set of purple size 7 orthotics that I can donate.

thehorse.com just had an article on canker...
    I wasn't going to post about it, since I figured you had done the deed.

Great to hear she is doing better...sometimes when it comes to feet, I believe my farrier before the vet. In your case, that is shameful of the vet...I mean that was life vs death!

Anyhow, in case anyone else reads this, check out the horse if you are dealing with canker.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

So happy for the good update!!! Here's to some more quality time with the old girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Glad to hear the old gal is doing so well. :-) Just a thought on the Soft Rides--maybe you need different orthotic inserts and/or need to shave down or completely cut out the frog supports. Play around and see what makes her more comfortable. But if you suspect that she is laminitic, I would definitely keep her in the Soft Rides if at all possible.

Don't know what size she is, but I do have a brand-new set of purple size 7 orthotics that I can donate.
    That is such a kind offer and I would be so grateful for a second set, as the first are really gross. And strangely enough....she's a size 7. Sending you a PM. Thank you!

Good point about the frog support. My farrier and I had a long discussion about it and are going to fiddle around a bit. That's a great idea to try reducing the frog supports. I love the cushion under P3 with the purple/teal pads. Plan is to keep her in Soft Rides most of the time.

PM sent back. :-) I'll be popping them in the mail in a day or two. The Soft Rides really are a miracle and I'm happy these orthotic inserts will (finally) be put to good use and not just be sitting around in my closet!
    With the laminitic mare I was caring for, I would take the boots off daily and take the inserts out, shake everything out, and then wipe everything down with chlorhexadine or very diluted Lysol. Works like a charm!

Wow, I was not expecting this update! How exciting for such a beautiful girl and her owners and for you too!

so happy for you and for Gracie. A big thank you to your farrier!

Really is worth it to listen to your gut! Wonderful update - sending wishes for continued good health and bright eyes!