The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Would the aluminum tags hold up to a saddle sizer tree machine? the top photo

Mardi, how well does your ReuniteIt tag hold up?

Hi Mardi,

Thanks! Very familiar with the 'Reunite It' system by LoJack.
    Great for lost items found by 'Good Samaritans' that want to be able to return found items to the rightful owner.

Saddle Network takes that further by helping members to quickly and easily communicate their loss through social networking, so the community can be on the look out for their missing property, whether lost or stolen.

The Reunite It stickers can be hidden because the system is not meant to prevent theft, but rather to help in lost and found situations.

Thanks for the 'heads up' regarding advertising. Didn't think I was advertising just answering questions.

Hi SerenaGinger,

In the picture of the 'saddle sizer tree machine', (btw - very cool) it doesn't appear that the exterior saddle flap comes is contact with the machine, so there should be no problem.

SN tags are actually meant for military and aerospace application. So if something has damaged the tag chances are the leather of the saddle is going to be in worse shape then the tag.

While I think it is an interesting idea, I personally would not deface my saddles in that way.

I might consider microchipping my saddle. I understand that not being visible it does not deter theft, but it also doesn't deter me .

I think that for riders who are at a lot of public events (shows, etc.) where their tack is more vulnerable, it might be more appealing. For people like me who foxhunt and are not in the public eye (my horse is at a private barn, not a big target), permanently altering my saddle like that is not in the cards.

The biggest drawback for me is that if you remove the tag the saddle is still marred.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I just don't see the need for such a service. I'm at a secure private barn, so anyone with access to my saddle is known to the staff. Also, my saddle is nice enough ($4k-ish) that it would hurt if it got stolen. But it's not over the top nice where someone would target it in particular. (And given what a PITA saddle fitting is, I have a hard time imagining the horse person who would randomly steal something off the shelf. If I ever see someone in the pasture doing wither tracings of my horse, then I'll start to worry.) I also keep my tack covered in a protective layer of crud, which keeps the street value down in the eye of the potential thief.

OTOH, I have had boxes of syringes & needles shipped from the vet and left sitting on the doorstep of my urban home all day. If the hoodlums ever figure that one out I'm screwed!

If your horse gets shod, gets any type of veterinary attention, you receive deliveries - hay, shavings, supplies etc., basically any other human being steps foot on the facility were your horse and equipment are kept, you are not immune to theft.
    Unfortunately thieves are not determined by any one factor. They don't look a certain way or only choose certain items to take and most disturbingly, through our research we have found they are usually someone or somehow related to someone known to us.

Mary,

It's great that you are coming here and answering questions and are so enthusiastic about your product, but this

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Braly View Post

SN tags will actually increase the value of a saddle.
    seems like a very bold claim. Can you back up this statement with any evidence? I do not see many similarities between this system and a security system installed in a home, particularly in regards to how effective one is compared to the other in terms of being a deterrent.

Based on this thread it seems far more likely that the value of the saddle would be decreased.
    <><

Hello RoyalTRider,

I realize that SN provides a system and train of thought new to the industry. That by providing people with access to immediate information and the ability to communicate that information with devices that they use everyday is what will keep the thieves at bay.
    Thieves don't like anything that might make their ability to get rid of the item they stole more difficult, and even worse possibly increase the chance of getting caught red handed.
    That's what this simple little tag does. It gives anyone at anytime the ability to get information on the saddle that it's affixed to, with just their smartphone or access to the internet. Information is power.
    Well enough with the talk, try it out for yourself. Go to www.saddlenetwork.com select 'Track Item' and enter #00133 as an example and you can decide if this little tag increases or decreases the value of a saddle.

What is #00133 supposed to be proving as far as raising/lowering the value of the saddle? All I see is what everyone has mentioned already -- saddle with a tag on the flap, which a lot of people have problems with.

And how, exactly, does ownership information get updated when a saddle is sold? By the old owner or the new? What happens if the info is not updated and someone down the line legitimately ends up with a saddle that has someone else listed as an owner? Especially if they are not interested in paying the exorbitant (and they are exorbitant) monthly fees? Are they just out of luck and doomed to being treated like a thief because they now own a saddle whose tag says they don't own it?

#00133 is a current members saddle.
    If this saddle was being presented to you for sale or you found it unattended, now it has the ability to tell you about itself.
    Ownership information is updated by whoever the current member is.
    If the current member is selling the saddle they transfer ownership, through their account, by a simple click of a button. Easier then transferring ownership of a car through the DMV.
    If an individual chooses not to renew their membership all tagged items go into an unregistered status, showing no recognized owner. So you could never end up with a saddle that lists someone else as the owner.
    Cost is relative. For basically .23 per day the average person can help themselves from falling victim to saddle theft and all the headache and inconveniences that go with it.
    That's where the true value of Saddle Network is priceless.

I would not deface my saddle for this tag. I saddles are secured in a tack room in a private property with security. They are covered in ..erm.. dirty saddle covers, and no one would be interested in them.

The chance of my saddle being stolen is close to zero. The price of this is well, well, WELL above zero. I do not see the payoff to permanently ruining my gorgeous saddles with an ugly metal plate.

The choice is yours Arab_Mare.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope that your gorgeous saddles always stay in your possession.

To you naysayers on the defacing of saddles, may I remind you that plenty of you consented to wearing fugly techno crap like GPA kinds of helmets in the post-velvet era. And folks are lining up to pay a premium for even more elaborate custom color and chrome options.

I think people will learn to deal with this tag.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks MVP for keeping things real