The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Saddle Network- any dressage riders going to tag their saddles?

"I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

That's more expensive than my personal articles policy that will *pay* for a new saddle if it's stolen!

Hello Fellow Riders,
    You might want to take another look at Saddle Network because since the launch back in Sept. all membership packages were reevaluated to provide even more value and protection.
    Also the basis of SN is not to replace but rather to Prevent a saddle from being taken in the first place.
    SN allows anyone at anytime the ability to get info on a tagged item and SN's link to social networking allows equestrians to communicate quickly if an item is stolen or lost. It is because of this ability that thieve's will think twice about taking a SN tagged saddle. No thief wants the world to know immediately that the saddle they are trying to unload is HOT!
    On the note of insurance rather than SN -even if a saddle is listed as a line item here's the questions to ask - 1.) what's your deductible? 2.) what is the criteria for replacement? (especially if it's home owners insurance which usually states that the item must be on property at the time of theft) 3.) the 'Big Unknown' factor - how's your premium going to change in the future because of a claim? 4.) What about all the lost riding time and inconvenience until the saddle is replaced?
    The key here is Proactive not reactive. Why give thieves the advantage?

I don't get it... My saddle already has a unique serial number stamped onto the flap and that type of information is captured in my insurance policy. Looks like I'm required to punch holes in the flap of my saddle to affix this tag (how does this impact the value of my saddle?). If I ever sold my saddle and the new owner didn't want to pay a monthly fee they have a tag stuck on their saddle that shows the saddle as registered to me. What prevents someone from stealing a bunch of tack and then tagging/registering the tack to themselves? Maybe I'm not understanding the intent.

Hi Countrygal,
    Great questions! Here are the answers.
    Serial number stamped under flap - might be on your insurance policy, but that doesn't prevent the saddle from being stolen.
    The SN tag that is affixed, yes with holes, on the exterior of the saddle, is like an ADT sign out in front of your house. It serves two purposes 1.) A visual theft deterrent. Even if the tag is removed the two holes left behind serve as a red flag and the ID of a saddle can still be checked by parameter search on the SN website 2.) Anyone at anytime can get instant info on the saddle, with pictures and details, simply by scanning the QR code on the tag with a smartphone or entering the tag number on the website. Also if the saddle is stolen the SN member can now quickly change the status of that item to stolen and an alert will be sent immediately via fb, twitter, text and email. Now a community watch has been set in motion, increasing the chance that the thief will be caught trying to sell the saddle to someone who has seen the alert. Can't do any of that with just the saddles serial number.
    Currently thieves like the fact that they can steal a saddle and basically turn around and sell it to an unsuspecting buyer and no one's the wiser.
    By helping us to quickly and easily communicate about our equipment, SN now give us tools to fightback, and thieves will think twice before grabbing a saddle with a tag on it.
    SN tags will actually increase the value of a saddle. It provides a new owner an option for a tool in which to protect their investment. Sort of like selling a home with an alarm system already installed. They have the choice whether to activate it or not.
    When an SN tagged saddle is sold, the tag stays with the saddle and ownership is transferred through the website. Very similar to selling a car. The license plate stays with the vehicle and ownership is transferred through the DMV.
    If the new owner decides not to become a member, then the tag will revert to a non-registered status when checked. You will no longer be associated with the saddle, except for your own reference since the saddle will remain in your archive history. The new owner will still have the visual deterrent with the tag on the saddle, but loses all communication benefits of SN.
    Regarding your last question- "what prevents someone from stealing and tagging tack themselves", Tags are strictly controlled and can only be assigned by SN. Through the site members are required to provide a minimum of five distinct pictures of the item to be tagged plus detailed information. After the tag request has been thoroughly audited the tag number is assigned to the item and the tag with rivets is sent to the member to be applied.
    Hopefully I was able to explain how different and truly beneficial Saddle Network is for the equestrian industry.
    Communication is the key to give us the upper hand against against the thieves that lurk among us.
    SN opens those lines of communication so we can stand protected together vs being a victim alone.

Thanks for the response, Mary Braly! Appreciate the information.

No problem Countrygal! Glad to help
    Try checking out the Saddle Network facebook page. It's pretty informative too.
    https://www.facebook.com/SaddleNetwork

I can't imagine punching permanent holes in such a visible location and affixing such an ugly tag. I imagine this would tank the resale value on a saddle.

8 members found this post helpful.

Maybe ugly to some, but cool and high tech to others. Either way if affixing the tag to your saddle is the difference between it being there in the morning or not at all is it really that ugly?

Mary, thanks for weighing in on this thread...have you guys considered affixing the tag to the back of the saddle, like a nameplate? That's an area that people already put holes in their saddles, might be a little easier to swallow for some of us...

Thanks!
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi Echodecker,
    It's my pleasure to answer any question, comments or suggestions regarding Saddle Network.
    After extensive R & D the reason we chose this particular location for tag placement is so that if a thief removed the tag they would not be able to use the excuse that the holes were from a removed nameplate.
    Being that nothing goes in the designated tag location holes left behind if a tag is removed immediately creates a blatant 'Red Flag' warning for any unsuspecting buyer, and the status of the saddle can still be verified in a parameter search at saddlenetwork.com.
    So, tag on or off the thief still runs a good chance of getting caught.
    To deter theft is what Saddle Network is all about.

How many members are there currently using saddle tags?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Hi Petstorejunkie,
    As of Saddle Networks recent grand launch back in September of this year the number of tagged saddles are in the triple digits and growing rapidly!

Just a few of the well know names that have jumped on board right away are;
    Will & Nicole Simpson - Simpson Show Jumping - H/J
    Duncan McFarlane & Helen McNaught - Outwoods Farm - H/J
    Hope & Ned Glynn - Sonoma Valley Stables - H/J
    Al Dunning - Almosta Ranch - Cutting/Reining
    Sharon Camarillo - Barrel Racing
    Andrew Coats Southern Cross Ranch - Cutting
    Jenny & Earl McFall - Dragonfire Sporthorses - Eventing

SN is non breed or discipline specific. Theft has no boundaries and neither does Saddle Network.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I personally would not consider it.

For one thing, I would not agree that having an ugly tag permanently affixed to a saddle increases its value in any way; quite the opposite, in my opinion. I have bought quite a few high end used saddles over the years, but they've all been in close-to-new condition. Although I appreciate that the tag is meant to be a prominent/visual deterrent for theives, it would also deter me from a purchase. Put plainly, it's just too ugly. Admittedly I am a tack snob and part of the enjoyment of riding is using my beautiful, high quality tack... putting a big ol' ugly tag on it just isn't happening.

My homeowner's policy covers my tack, which I've taken the time to inventory and photograph, just like I do with jewelry and other valuables. I have a reasonable deductible that I would certainly have to cover in the event that I did have a loss, which is fine with me.

I don't buy the scare tactic of "what will happen to my premium in the event of a loss?" because I've actually had a claim and know that I did not face a big increase in costs as a result.

Others may certainly see it differently, which is obviously perfectly fine. To each their own.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

A monthly fee that goes on forever and ever and ever?

No f*cking way.

The saddles can live on my homeowner's policy, which will actually pay to REPLACE them for the same money.

Also I can microchip and register my cat (which is self-ambulatory and DETERMINED to bolt, unlike a saddle), permanently, for less than one year's worth of monthly plan with this saddle tag.

Is there some reason 24 Hour Pet Watch can tag my cat with a life time membership for around $50 but keeping some archived photos of a saddle is $500????

4 members found this post helpful.

Sure, but will the cat bolt with Quality? That's what really matters, you know. I think Quality will run you 9.99/bolt.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Sure, but will the cat bolt with Quality? That's what really matters, you know. I think Quality will run you 9.99/bolt.
    Lol!

If we ever sit down for drinks you get a beer for that one.

DEAL!

Hello Lucassb & Meupatdoes,

Positive or negative, all feedback is welcomed
    As we saw by the recent election, people all have very distinct opinions in value.
    and I respect both of yours.
    I wish my insurance company was as kind and generous as yours, but I think I can say most of us aren't that lucky.
    Saddle Network was not created to help "replace", but rather to help riders unite together in the form of communication to help "prevent" the possibility of becoming a victim.
    Yes, your insurance might replace a saddles full value with no future repercussion, but what they can't replace is all the valuable time lost after the saddle is stolen and the feeling of violation and venerability that comes with it.
    Last edited by Mary Braly; Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: remove extra word

It's a good idea. I have a similar system on my saddles, from the same people who do LoJack. They use small adhesive tags with serial numbers registered to the item's owner, that can be put on anything (bikes, luggage, cell phones, computers, whatever). Mine are under the upper saddle flap, out of sight.
    Website is www.ReuniteIt.com.

BTW Mary, not to be a fun hater, but be careful about posting too much about your product ! It'll be considered advertising by the Mods.
    -Amor vincit omnia-