The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile New Foster Puppy!

Just picked him up today. He was a stray picked up with the other puppy in the photo last week. Was supposed to be euthanized on Wednesday, rescue group pulled him just in time. He was fixed Thursday, and came to me today. Around 3 months old, just about 5lbs. Long wiry coat, with a longer body and shorter legs. Maybe a schnauzer/chihuahua mix? Splash of dachshund? Who knows! I'll have to come up with a completely ridiculous "designer" breed for him.

The rescue website lists them in alphabetical order, so I'm thinking an A name so he'll be on the first page. Albee? Albie? Argo/Argie? Throw some ideas out, please!

He's got an upper respiratory infection, but otherwise seems okay. The cat is rather horrified by the new houseguest, but intrigued about being bigger than a dog for the first time ever. Hee.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ke/Albee-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...pike/Puppy.jpg

Aww, cute pup!

He looks like an Alphonse to me....Fonzy for short.

he is TOO CUTE !!!

I like alfie and albee

Schnauzer/jack? Something totally cute!
    Fonzie is adorable :-) he also looks like an Archie to me!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Aw, so cute!! I'm so glad he landed in a good place.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Awww. He's a cutie. Ace?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Carrie Underwood's dog is named Ace.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

OMG is he cute. I want him!

I'm not even a small dog fan and I want him! What a cutie!

StG

He is now Albie, at least for the moment! He's been a very good little boy, except for some issues with the cat. He's tried chasing her twice, which I was prepared for and he was instantly corrected- he's thought about it several times since but is being good about listening to me. He's getting rewarded for ignoring her every time she's nearby. His leash is on anytime he and cat are together, so I can make sure to stay a step ahead of him on that.

Yesterday he was in his crate hanging out, door closed. The cat walked by- she may have stopped to sniff noses, or she may have just been ignoring him and walking by. I was at my desk, so I don't know what happened, but he lunged at her in the crate, growling and scrabbling at her. That of course scared the snot out of her, so she bolted and spent the rest of the day avoiding him. He got scolded for that- I don't know if he was resource-guarding his crate, his chew-toys, or whether he woke up from a nap to realize the cat was RIGHT there.......It sounded like a resource-guard type reaction, but since I didn't see what either of them were doing I can't say for sure. The cat is not the type to tease, so I doubt she was doing anything besides politely saying hello, if that. I'm not happy about that type of reaction from him. He's perfectly fine with me taking toys and his food bowl away and giving them back, so no problem there so far. It would be so much easier if my cat wasn't so timid- if she just walloped him one that would get the lesson about leaving cats alone across so much more effectively!

I put a towel down the side of the crate so at least the cat can walk by without creating any problems for now.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ike/Albie4.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ike/Albie3.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ike/Albie5.jpg

Gosh he's cute. What a scruffalufagous :-) probably just the terrier in him, sounds like you're doing the right thing but if he's that fixated, a cat-free home might be best, lol!
    This may sound a little sadistic but do you know anyone who owns a take-no-prisoners type of cat, and perhaps arrange a date for them to meet? Don't really know the specifics of how you'd safely set that up, but i know what you mean about wishing the cat would give him a CTJ moment ;-)
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

aaaaaaaaagggggggggggggkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.........he is too cute!!....i loff little terriers..........lol.............and have them as well.......good thing you are in calif, because he might have had to join the pack here